SOL's Global Challenge 2012-2013

RainbowChaser

Visit site
SGCTitlePic_2.png

STOP PRESS​
In response to significant demand, SOL's Open 60 2010s are right now being readied for a new challenge - SOL's Global Challenge 2012-2013 - a circumnavigation of the world's oceans!

Starting on November 10 @1200utc from the Bay of Biscay, our intention is to sail via the Cape of Good Hope, through the Southern Ocean, to the Auckland Islands, then on to Cape Horn and, finally, home again to Biscay.

This will not be a non-stop race as this is currently not possible on SOL, but this means that those who are unable to participate in the entirety of the race may join in when it is convenient.

Whether you are young or old, a well-seasoned sailor with ocean races under your belt, a landlubber or an inshore dinghy sailor come and realise your dreams of sailing around the globe on SOL and tell everyone!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I made a boo-boo overnight and lost about 30 miles on the rest of you!

Oh well, there's still a few thousand to go, lots more chances to get it wrong :D

Spyro

Visit site
I'm hooked already. I said I wasn't going to let it happen again but I just happened to be awake at 3am and just had a quick look. ;)

YBW_Booby_Trapper

Martin_J

Visit site
Quite par for the course... If you can complete an ocean leg with no mistakes it's remarkable.

My mistake was starting 2.5 hours late.. Hopefully that's my only one :)

Good luck.. ybw_mjm

Pye_End

Visit site
Yes it doesn't take much to end up at the back. Much more likely to happen than waking up and finding yourself an hour out in front!

Tried to decide whether to go for the longer slightly more breezy route at the start or the straight line. Looks like it was the latter having chose the former.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Nice people at SOL have changed my user/boat name which is now ybw_Brigantia

Now if only my SYC membership would come through before I go to work tonight I can keep tweaking my course on the mobile in between doing what my employers pay me to do :D

sarabande

Visit site
I am going about a day further South, then hacking across to S America. I reckon that the big Westerly will be filling in then.

Spyro

Visit site
I am going about a day further South, then hacking across to S America. I reckon that the big Westerly will be filling in then.

I'm still in a bit of a dilema. I think the routing software must have pointed a lot of Boats west as some of the ones who were near the front went off in that direction across the blue hole. I know some of them that use software have headed in that direction.

Martin_J

Visit site
I had no choice but to go West.. By the time I started, the wind in your direction was dying off... No way of catching by following.

Well done ybw_Brigantia... It's nice just to see the SOL flag by ones name :)

ybw_mjm

sarabande

Visit site
with my unerring capability for making the wrong decision too soon, or the right decision too late, I am now heading West.

I suspect that Martin may be catching up :)

Orla

www.yachtorla.com
Not got my name changed yet, I'll do it soon, Lordmacdonald at the moment, will get it changed to ybw_lordmacdonald.

Think i've gone to far east, going to miss the westerlies I think.....:(

WayneS

Visit site
I made it quite clear to myself and SWIMBO that I was not going to get involved this time.....

Now I am wondering if I can hold out.

Keep a watch out for ybwSKT.......