Solent Seagull Mk III

boatsRus

Visit site
A friend of mine has recently been widowed and she wants to find a good home for her husband's beloved boat. She has enlisted my help but I am not an expert on classic boats so I would appreciate the assistance of this forum, particularly when it comes to valuing her and the best way to sell her. I have had a good look over the boat and done a bit of research - this is what I know so far:

She is a Solent Seagull Mk III (one of only 20 bulit) - Sail no 19. The class was designed as a day boat by Charles Nicholson and built by Camper and Nicholson in Gosport in the 1950s, mainly for members of Lee-on-the-Solent SC, although several were sailed at Hill Head SC. No 19 is called 'Crazy Jane' and seems to have been a fairly well known boat in her time, including some racing success. She is all wooden, 18'6'' LOA and bermudan rigged. Construction is an unusual reverse clinker with canvas covered plywood decks and she has a heavy steel centreboard. Not sure what sort of wood the hull is made of, but there is plenty of mahogany in evidence elsewhere. She has a wooden mast and boom (in good condition), newish sails (although I haven't actually seen them), loads of original fittings, a 4hp Yamaha outboard and a trailer (I am not sure that it is strictly 'road legal' nowadays but it has a towing hitch and mudguards, and has certainly been used on the road in the past).

This is not a restoration project - the boat is in fairly good condition for her age and is pretty much ready to go sailing tomorrow, including fresh paint and anti-foul. But, like most classic boats, she would benefit from even more tender loving care (replacing the canvas covering on the decks would be my top priority). She is currently stored indoors, so she may leak a bit when she is first launched, but there is no obvious cracking or opening of joints.

By all accounts, she sails well and is particularly suited to the Solent chop.

I would be keen to learn more about her history, and would particularly like to hear from anyone else who owns a Solent Seagull. I have a rough idea what she might be worth, but any guidance on an appropriate asking price would be much appreciated, as would tips about the best places to advertise her.

Photos to follow.

David

Brian Mahoney

Visit site
Solent Seagull

Hi Dave ,
I also own a Solent SeaGull Mark, 2 built 1938 to replace fleet destroyed in Storm , Builder Percy See , I think mine may be the last one left of the 22 Built;
She is 15'.6" long. would be interested to hear if you still have contact with the person who owns your mark 3, version ,

Do you have a photo;

Brian

Romeo

Visit site
Amazing what google can do for bringing ancient threads back from the vaults.

You might be better dropping boatsRus a "Private Mail" (PM), since he might not drop into the classics forum that often. Click on his name and scroll down to send private message.

Do you have a photo?

R

Werge

Visit site
Solent Seagull

Hi Dave ,
I also own a Solent SeaGull Mark, 2 built 1938 to replace fleet destroyed in Storm , Builder Percy See , I think mine may be the last one left of the 22 Built;
She is 15'.6" long. would be interested to hear if you still have contact with the person who owns your mark 3, version ,

Do you have a photo;

Brian
Just found this postcard sent to my Father in the 1950's and thought any Solent Seagull owners might like to see

Attachments

• Scan 9.jpg
    Scan 9.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 10