Solent racing marks.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
What with one thing and another I've only just got round to updating the gps with the current mark names and additions. I normally get them from the SCRA website and amend them to suit keelboat nav.

Anyway, the reason for the post is that the current .gpx file on their website isn't working for me. Uploading it to the gps or opening it in Garmin's Basecamp on a pc and it displays only the alphanumeric code, no name.

If I convert it to .csv and open it in a spreadsheet it looks fine, with names appearing in column 'I' (headed 'desc') as it has in the past. Comparing the current file with last year's (in the spreadsheet) shows no obvious difference. Before I start relearning how to bodge it in Excel, can anyone point me to a useful guide on building a .gpx file?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Can you see the alphanumeric mark codes? I can't even get them to show in Excel!

I just downloaded GPSBabel, but I'll give EasyGPS a go, ta very.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Just tried it, and sure enough, the codes are there.

I don't think it's right though because the names aren't showing on the chart? It has to something to do with the field or comma spacing.

I think I'm going to be doing it in Excel to get it right. Once I've done it - if anyone wants a copy they'll be welcome.

Also, you might think it slightly barking, but for the last two years we've been using a double list. Each entry is repeated, one with <P, the other with S>. It's worked well for us using handheld units on a keelboat where setting off with a tablet and Navionics is fine in theory, not so good when it's wet and sunny and even if you could read the screen you can't get the touchscreen to work in its bag....

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Just tried it, and sure enough, the codes are there.

I don't think it's right though because the names aren't showing on the chart? It has to something to do with the field or comma spacing.

I think I'm going to be doing it in Excel to get it right. Once I've done it - if anyone wants a copy they'll be welcome.

Now I did notice that the mark names are not particularly helpful - 1I, 2S etcetc - so I see same as you there .. I assumed the racers will be given the 2 digit code in their course instructions, and it means the GPS screen is not so cluttered with loads of marks??

RobbieW

Visit site
Now I did notice that the mark names are not particularly helpful - 1I, 2S etcetc - so I see same as you there .. I assumed the racers will be given the 2 digit code in their course instructions, and it means the GPS screen is not so cluttered with loads of marks??
The 2 digit identifiers dont generally change, the actual names change with sponsorship and other reasons. At least 50% of the marks I knew 10 years and more ago now have different names. I guess theres arguably less room for error in giving courses by VHF just giving the two digit codes, at least they are are standard and have a location based convention for numbering.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I'm most of the way through editing it, and should have it done this evening if anyone wants it.

(I'm not a coder but have found that opening the .gpx in notepad shows enough to see how to get what I want. There's an error in their .gpx file causing a problem).

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
They're not as unhelpful as you think! Marks beginning with a 1 are in the West, then the letters often go through the alphabet as you travel East and South (but not always).

RobbieW

Visit site
I'm most of the way through editing it, and should have it done this evening if anyone wants it.

(I'm not a coder but have found that opening the .gpx in notepad shows enough to see how to get what I want. There's an error in their .gpx file causing a problem).
Probably little consolation to you now; I just compared the SCRA file with an old .gpx of mine created by OpenCPN. Line 1 appears to be wrong, replacing it with <?xml version="1.0"?> made the file open in GPSU

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Probably little consolation to you now; I just compared the SCRA file with an old .gpx of mine created by OpenCPN. Line 1 appears to be wrong, replacing it with <?xml version="1.0"?> made the file open in GPSU
Actually, that could be a big help! I'm a bit tied up at the minute and will get to it later, but if you're good at this stuff I may come back and ask a question!

RobbieW

Visit site
Actually, that could be a big help! I'm a bit tied up at the minute and will get to it later, but if you're good at this stuff I may come back and ask a question!
I wouldnt say I'm good at this stuff, dont really understand XML syntax but I have been using various types of general markup language (GML) for documentation since mid 80s. Having known working examples helps immensely! Happy to help if I can :)

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I wouldnt say I'm good at this stuff, dont really understand XML syntax but I have been using various types of general markup language (GML) for documentation since mid 80s. Having known working examples helps immensely! Happy to help if I can :)
Well, following your lead, and bit of copy/paste between a few files and then a couple of conversions later and it's done.

Anyone who'd like a copy can send me a pm, and I'll let SCRA have it tomorrow if they want it.