SOL leg 9 - Line up, line up!

sarabande

Visit site
whilst you lot have been fast asleep, I've gone over the race course to Ireland, turned around, and have just touched land at the start.

I reckon I am as prepared as ever I have been. Crew have been fed, the forepeak has fresh straw in it, and I have oiled the whip. A small drogue has been surreptitiously attached to MJM's skeg, and a magnetic can of beer thoughtfully left by his steering compass.

Max VMG to windward out for 45.629 nm due west of the start to catch the incoming low, then head off to Bray and minding the Cathedral rocks just NW. Then a right turn for the guinness. :)

Pye_End

Visit site
I managed to complete leg 8 (having just got back from the Jester Challenge) - so only 24hours turnaround for my crew. Patched up the boat for the quick leg and replaced the bacon rations. Was concerned at one point that I would be sailing leg 8 and 9 at the same time with only one boat.

sarabande

Visit site
I reckon the YBW team showing for this race is really good. Perhaps we should take on Spain ?

Yes, follow my leader this leg, but I shall try a little SLI hopping :) to catch up on the places I lost overnight through sleeping.

Last edited:

Dipper

Visit site
Yes, follow my leader this leg, but I shall try a little SLI hopping :) to catch up on the places I lost overnight through sleeping.

You chickened out. I was watching just now and you avoided the island. A boat next to you went right over the top of a yellow bit. Respect!

I've been giving 76Trombones advice. Just for a change he's managing to keep up with me. ;)

I don't like being near the front. I can't get on with anything else.

sarabande

Visit site
Ah, as I told Winston4 the other day, when he was asking about strategy again....:)

Yes I noticed the blighter hopping ! I am trying to cover Martin but he is inches in front of me and I can't blanket him.

Amazing how one can multi-task with SOL and a business spreadsheet side by side :eek:

sarabande

Visit site
I've just gybed to cut the S end of the lowest island.

MJM and Dipper are on course for BBQs (hint) :)

After a straightforward pusuit race this is shaping up for a real fight to the line.

Dipper

Visit site
My pink bowsprit cuts right through the finish line. I just need to find a low loader and a crane to get me over the yellow bit.

76Trombones has blown it. He should have stuck close to me. ;)

Dipper

Visit site
I am! I am!

But I think the northern group have the edge on me. Never mind. This is my 5 minutes of fame.

sarabande

Visit site
b*gger ! About 15 minutes ago I had an urgent 5 minute phone call. Which took 15 minutes. Overstood and am now down the pan :mad:

Keep on going D, and best of luck.

Dipper

Visit site
Well done to the podium place winners.

I did consider the northern route but it looked as though it overshot the finish line. It looks as though the stronger winds further out made up for that.