So what went wrong with the Ben Ainslie team?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
LR must have been doing an awful lot wrong during the RR's when INEOS made a clean sweep. What exactly were the discoveries ?

How about a nice conspiracy theory concerning the magnets mentioned on here. Does the ride height
and stuff checked after each race ?

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
They took a heavy weather boat to a light wind venue. They went well in the stronger winds in the round robin series and failed in the more recent light winds. Normal winds in Auckland in Feb are light. You'd think someone might have looked it up before they designed and built it. In other words it was built for 15-20 knots. They took a water pistol to a gunfight.

davidej

Visit site
They took a heavy weather boat to a light wind venue. They went well in the stronger winds in the round robin series and failed in the more recent light winds. Normal winds in Auckland in Feb are light. You'd think someone might have looked it up before they designed and built it. In other words it was built for 15-20 knots. They took a water pistol to a gunfight.
If what you said is right, they took a shotgun to a water pistol fight.

ProMariner

Visit site
The Kiwis and the Italians were always half a design generation ahead of the other 2, better foils, hulls and rigs. This gives the sailors more confidence to jab it about on the race track, whereas the yanks and englanders were putting everything they had into overcoming the shortfalls of their platforms. That, and Ben is not a natural match racer. It was only ever a competition to see who would win the chance to get thrashed by the Kiwis anyway.

ip485

Visit site
Yes I agree with what seems to be the concensus - not only a better boat, but a better team, who looked far more comfortable and rehearsed that ours ever did. I think by any measure it was a comprehesive win, and I am afraid we did not deserve to progress any further (which of course is a great shame).

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I think they did the best with what they had. You can't win them all.

Their clean sweep of the RR's now appears even more remarkable.

As mentioned by a previous contributor, it's a weird and quirky format and doesn't appeal to all sailing tastes
but the boats themselves are mad but technically brilliant and would probably never have appeared otherwise .

Bathdave

Visit site