So. What I Did With My Mainsheet

Lakesailor

Visit site
Following my proposal for the mainsheet on my dayboat, and Bilbo's alternative, I went with his idea of fitting it to the floor-bearer.

A bit of angle iron was drilled and painted in galvanising primer. I've used it before on my trials car and it works well without a top coat.

Mainsheetbracket01.jpg

I loosely fitted it with some grp and glass paste behind it to form a proper bearing surface.

Mainsheetbracket03.jpg

Then a U-bolt through a bit of floor ply (epoxy coated and varnished)

Mainsheetbracket04.jpg

Mainsheetbracket05.jpg

The floor boards are cut to fit around the u-bolt (the floor boards are removable)

Mainsheetbracket06.jpg

Mainsheetbracket07.jpg

Yes, I know the grain runs the other way. I thought it better than risking a bad match of grain.
I've yet to try it out, but that is rock solid. I am almost sure you could lift the boat with it.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
The floor boards are perfect. The previous floor level was obviously far too high toachieve the self draining aspect. The side benches are now 15" above the floor. Previously they were just a foot above the floor. Very uncomfortable.

The flange may have to go. It does look a bit incongruous..

sarabande

Visit site
couple of niggly thoughts about that flange, Lakey.

If you are keeping it, is the sharp edge likely to catch on the fall of the mainsheet, possibly dragging some glass fibres into the sheet or abrading it?

and.. while I can understand that it is quite beefy to be part of the original floor level, before you cut it away, is there any other structural function as part of the centreboard case that it performs ?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Edging strip was my first thought. Detailed in the previous thread.

ET167big.jpg

The cover does have the mast tabernacle on the forward end. However that doesn't effect the flange at all.

Interiorpainted04.jpg

So, I am thinking the flange can, maybe, go.

Last edited:

Storyline

Visit site
Understand that the ply matches the rest of the floor but I think I would have gone for a piece of hardwood. The ply is probably well strong enough but imo hardwood would look more fit for purpose (also the grain direction would not be such a significant problem).

Lakesailor

Visit site
Understand that the ply matches the rest of the floor but I think I would have gone for a piece of hardwood. The ply is probably well strong enough but imo hardwood would look more fit for purpose (also the grain direction would not be such a significant problem).
The ply was to hand and is the right thickness.
Plus it is a hardwood ply so the veneer is hardwood, although not as dark as mahogany would have been. It doesn't bother me.