So what are we all up to then ?

CPD

Visit site
It seems to have gone very quiet on here recently.....I wonder why !!. I have been working my way through the jobs list and find a remaining 20 or after the update this evening. They are all however fairly small things and so I'm feeling reasonably happy at the moment. I have started a “booking in” system meaning that once things have been “booked in” to the garage, then they stay there and move to the boat and to the boat only. All the non-perishable provisions have been bought and it looks as though storage wont be a problem (although sorting this is one of the 20 jobs on the list !). I had an engine scare a couple of weeks ago but it turns out to have been nothing other than a faulty oil pressure switch which has been replaced. Pipedream is now more or less ready, but heck does she need a really good scrub. Need to look too at the AIS which seems to be receiving only an intermittent GPS signal ….. another one for the list.

I am planning to sail round to Plymouth from the east coast w/c 5th May then back over this way for a couple of weeks to sort some work, family and sailing issues (planning a dash over to Ostend), then back down on the 28th. I am sure the next few weeks will absolutely fly by, as have the well, last 18 months or so since I first came across the Jester Challenge, and oh so foolishly started telling people I had entered.

I guess we are all pretty much doing the same thing at the moment, but how happily and how confidently ?. I guess I am at about 6/10 on the “feel good scale”. Where are you ? . . . and if you are aready tied up and waiting at Plymouth with not a care in the world, then the beers are on you /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Visit site
Congratulations, you must be the only one who is ready. I thought it was mandatory to finish the boat on the way to the start!
Check the MCA web site before blaming your AIS as they have been conducting jamming tests.
See you at the start, in fact you can assist me with some of last minute panicking!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
After a test sail this past weekend I was ready to say to my spouse the boat is ready to head out into the Atlantic. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The fact the toilet doesn't work after I refitted it after it emulated a loose cannon around the cabin last year doesn't bother me, I have a bucket. I'm seriously shopping around for a second bucket after Eric told us he relies on 3 buckets, I'm hoping a second one may make me go faster. Oh and my deck level port nav light seems to have lost its lense [I blame the travel hoist, I always seem to lose one light as I enter or leave it], but I don't care as my tricolour is working with a brand new LED bulb. So I can go sailing for the next few weekends before I head for Plymouth. I'll leave the Crouch weather being fair on or around 18 May.

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
I start my four month sabbatical on saturday. I've done a fair bit of the work I would have liked to, all I got left really is a scrub down below the water and change the anode. I'll be moseying my way down to plymouth along the west coast of beautiful welsh wales and living on the boat over the next month, I'm as giddy as a baby on a swing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jesterchallenger

Visit site
I hauled out mid August last year to start my bluewater refit - with a target of finishing by end March this year. Then at the end of March I realised that I'd achieved that, more or less. But only by working almost every weekend and most nights, late into the dark cold freezing winter nights, the only sad soul in the marina working on his boat, panicking all the while that I wasn't going to make the start. And then the plan was to get down to Plymouth by the end of April, because I didn't have any spare time in May. So I finally set off towards the start line at 0500 5th April with a veeerrrrry cold NWly. Off Beachy Head, a forecast of N8 and snow made me stop in Brighton, thank goodness, arriving two hours before four inches of snow fell! On the next weekend, cold NW again and managed to rip off the starboard teak toe rail in rough seas off Portland. Good shakedown though, with the empty pages in my 'jobstodo' book filled up again! And my bank account and credit cards drained by Brighton and Mayflower marinas, and expensive teak for the toe rail. Drove down to Plymouth last weekend with tools and teak to replace the rail and finish off the job list...so, I think I might actually be ready. Whoever it was said the race is in two parts, the first being to get to the start line, was right - it feels like it's been quite a battle so far!

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour John
If you haven't buy your new bucket yet, I would highly recommand the black or brown rubber concrete bucket.
They are cheap, unbreakable by any ... worker and confortable to seat on with "open hedges".
Eric

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
For fammily reason , after a long decision making process, I will not be able to take part to the JAC08.
Anyway I'll be at the start, probably with Sterenn.
So I'm ready....
See you in Plymouth.
Eric

helixkimara

Visit site
Well sometimes I feel I’ve lost the list with the location of all of my lists. Feel good factor, I guess a sort of 5 / 10 until I know everything is ready. I’m sailing from Blyth, Northumberland so a good voyage before the start. Starting the “What happens if” list in my mind. Leaving Blyth 3 weeks before the race start and booked into QAB marina from the Monday before the 31st. Still got to finish fitting and testing the Hasler wind vane plus loads of small bits n pieces but generally “Helix” is 98% ready and looks great. (I am bias).
Very sorry Eric won’t be able to compete and hope he can make it to the start.

CPD

Visit site
Hi David,

Im hoping to do Bradwell to Dover and maybe further, non-stop so Ramsgate is a bolt hole for me. If you can pm me your mobile, i would gladly share a beer or three if I drop in.

Alan

Noddy

Visit site
Sorry you can't make it Eric!

All but one of the big jobs are done! 8/10
Components are all either made, purchased or pre scrounged 8/10
Just got to put it all together now 2/10

That gives me a mean of 6/10 which feels about right.

I'm happy with the boat. Its just the sense of running out of time thats a problem.
Sea trials on the way to Plymouth. Decorating and electrics on the way to the Azores. Didn't someone say that this is traditional?

Food! You've bought food? ... I hadn't thought of that.

David
Like Alan, Ramsgate is a potential bolt hole for me, but I would like your number for the almanac.

Paul

helixkimara

Visit site
FOOD ! I will need some of that. My wife’s sorting that out. But she has been very busy lately organising my leaving party - - - - - FOR THE WEEK END AFTER I LEAVE ! She thinks she’s so funny.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Visit site
Goldie is about ready and sinking deeper in the water day by day as I load up the goodies. A quick look at the calender shows that my set off date from Scarborough is exactly 3 weeks away. I bet it will seem like 3 days! A little tight becuase of work so hope the weather God is kind.
Don't panic Cpt Boyo!!!

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Interesting post.
It puddically only considers the boat preparation issues!
That is the easy part of it !

Lets talk about more unconfortable subjects!

How do you feel : are you ready to any opportunity ?

How is your sleep pattern going on?

Do you feel confortable with stress, loonelines and fear management technique ?

How is your familly and business process going on ?

Do you feel a nice ball of anskiousness in the stomack ?

Amicalement

Eric

CPD

Visit site
Eric,
A very good question, and I am sure we have all thought about it. My thoughts on each are as follows :

Am I ready ? - I guess the honest answer is, as ready as I think I'll ever be. Am I ready for anything ? yes, I think I am. i am certainly ready to give it my best go, and if I or the boat (ie "We") are not up to it, then so be it.

Sleep pattern - I am going to go with the 10min naps as often as possible. I have found it to be okay for a few days but not sure if I can sustain it longer. I guess I will find out, and may have to come up with an alternative if I hit any problems.

Stress/loneliness/fear management - Oddly enough, this is the one thing I think I have least problem with. Having said that, there is fear, and there is fear. We will find out but I gather strength in the knowledge that the boat is stronger than I am.

Family and business - The communications plan (sat phone) is fairly advanced now. The business is planned as much as it can be. I work for myself and therefore this area may be easier for me than others.

A ball in the pit of the stomach ? - Yes, of course. If there wasn't one, I dont think i would go.

Calm excitement sprinkled with anxious anticipation would be a fair summary /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Hope to see you at Plymouth and sorry to hear you won't be taking part.

Alan

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bonjour
Interesting post.
It puddically only considers the boat preparation issues!
That is the easy part of it !

Lets talk about more unconfortable subjects!

How do you feel : are you ready to any opportunity ?
No! Absolutely not - Where would the challenge be if I was relaxed and ready.

How is your sleep pattern going on?
Its Good. When sleeping I don't have to think about sailing to the Azores. I sleep a lot.

Do you feel confortable with stress, loonelines and fear management technique ?
Loneliness - taking the usual selection of journals and tissue paper etc.
Fear - My screaming and rocking storm management strategy is giving me some comfort. I am also taking various objects to bite if things get too exciting.

How is your familly and business process going on ?
I seem to be in some sort of trouble with my wife.
Planning to leave a note and not show up at work on Monday.

Do you feel a nice ball of anskiousness in the stomack ?
Yes, Spending a lot of time in the toilet. Allows me to practise with the red bucket - or should it be the black/orange/pink one?

Amicalement

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Main strategy for preparing myself for the challenge = denial and silly jokes. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Alan

Alas, Pod just won't be ready in time - despite some frantic efforts, so I will be doing my own 'mini-Jester' later in the year, hopefully getting as far as Spain on a shake-down. We'll see - lots of untried mods to test first. (Or I might do a Glayva and just start a LOT later - like 2009 - but I doubt I'll come third!!)

Instead, I'll be covering the departure for PBO, and have arranged some rather smart Jester burgees for all the starters, and some simply-designed stickers for the 'potentials'. (Choice of two designs.)

I'm also arranging an encapsulated competitor-recognition card which skippers can keep handy, so it will really help if you could send me some pictures of your boat underway ( or we can arrange a graphic at a push).

And just in case you're worried about sponsorship, marketing and 'all the things we hate about the other races' this is a gift from PBO with no branding in sight, and absolutely no strings attached ( well, except on the burgees - I've asked for a wooden toggle as well) !!

I'm hoping some of you will be able to spare me a few minutes for a quick interview, and a look at your mods for the race. I'm also editing a film of the build up and start, and hope I can catch up with some of you afterwards to hear how you got on.

Watch out for 2010, when a tried and tested Pod will be raring to go. In the meantime, whilst envious that I won't be making a little bit of maritime history with you all, I wish you a great trip, and I'll see you in Plymouth at the end of the month!

Jake K

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour jake
I understand all the sadeness of writting that sort of mail !!!
i've done it soon !
Bienvenue au club!
A bientot a Plymouth.
Eric

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Alan,

I'd be surprised if any skipper isn't experiencing a few butterflies with the anticipation of the start only three or so weeks away, I know I am. I also know that the anticipation is usually worse than the execution, so hopefully it'll be alright on the day, just exciting. With a bit of luck we'll get sunshine and a fair breeze..... Personally speaking juggling the race preparation, work, holiday entitlement, finances, and personal commitments, has been a bit of a nightmare at times, but then I would guess it has been for most of us - it's reassuring that someone else is also finding it hard work. That first cold beer at Praia da Vittoria will certainly taste sweet. Or am I getting ahead of myself?

Sorry to hear that Eric and Jake can't make it, but I look forward to seeing you both in Plymouth.