So much for 60 40

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Helping a pal on his boat on the Hamble (at a distance!) noticed the advertised visitor price for diesel at Port Hamble is 125. Went home, picked up some cans went to ASDA and got 20 litres of white at 108. What’s going on? I don’t really want to use road diesel with it’s Fame content but that’s a heck of a difference.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I know someone who used to run an independant service station. When the tanker came in, that was a £50K bill to be paid before the tanker would unload.

So just how does a small outfit who bought the fuel that is in the tank now at the beginning of the year or even last year price it now? Sell it all for less per litre than they paid for it? Keep the price high and not sell much in the hope it will go up?

The big petrol stations with a high turnover won't have that issue, a delivery only lasts a few days so not much scope for being stuck with high priced fuel in the bunker.

fredrussell

Visit site
I probably do a fair bit less motoring than you guys and I’m almost certainly more of a skinflint- so I buy 20 litre drums of red diesel at 80p per litre ( that was a few months ago, mind) from a forecourt near me that sells it. Keeps me fit if nothing else.

Sandy

Visit site
I probably do a fair bit less motoring than you guys and I’m almost certainly more of a skinflint- so I buy 20 litre drums of red diesel at 80p per litre ( that was a few months ago, mind) from a forecourt near me that sells it. Keeps me fit if nothing else.
Did that once and caught the diesel bug as their turnover of red was slow.

Still not long and red won't be available.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Helping a pal on his boat on the Hamble (at a distance!) noticed the advertised visitor price for diesel at Port Hamble is 125. Went home, picked up some cans went to ASDA and got 20 litres of white at 108. What’s going on? I don’t really want to use road diesel with it’s Fame content but that’s a heck of a difference.

89p at Cowes - Welcome to Cowes Harbour Commission

I filled up at 1.08 at Swanick (also vistor's rates) on the first weekend of the relaxation in May. This was 5p less per litre than when doing the same in Poole back in August.

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Wot's Fame content and is it bad?
From what I've read it is hydroscopic, has a shelf life of 6 months and corrodes metal parts. Sounds really nasty stuff.
The article I read mentioned 3 types or red. The one that starts with BS. Is proper marine.
The other two had EN number and could be up to 10% bio.
Problem always seems to be when you ask what red they are selling, they never know.
I'm sure someone will be along with the correct factsrather than my guess work of what I think I remember?

stuartwineberg

Visit site
From what I've read it is hydroscopic, has a shelf life of 6 months and corrodes metal parts. Sounds really nasty stuff.
The article I read mentioned 3 types or red. The one that starts with BS. Is proper marine.
The other two had EN number and could be up to 10% bio.
Problem always seems to be when you ask what red they are selling, they never know.
I'm sure someone will be along with the correct factsrather than my guess work of what I think I remember?
That’s what I understand except I think it’s rubber seals in things like fuel pumps it isn’t good for In older engines. shelf life not an issue in road vehicles because of high fuel turnover. Most good marine outlets state fame free and some add diesel bug preventer as well.

Rappey

Visit site
[QUOTE="stuartwineberg, post: 7233919, member: 28442" I think it’s rubber seals in things like fuel pumps
[/QUOTE]
I forgot about that. Seen advice to have them changed in older injector pumps.
There were news articles many months back where farmers were complaining about failing engines due to being left with bio fuel in them

Charlie Boy

Visit site
I had an email from the HM at Ramsgate last year. They (along with a select few of other East Coast outlets) sell white diesel as well as red. Trouble is, it isn’t Fame free. He felt, however, that it wouldn’t be long before industry caught up with demand.

Babylon

Visit site
It's called convenience...

That's right. My engine is 9 years old, now has 565 hours = appx 60hrs pa. At 1.3 litres ph average, that's 80 litres pa. A 20 pence price difference = £16 pa.

For this money I'm going to risk white diesel - let alone the sheer hassle of getting it to the boat every time I want to top up?!

Robin

Visit site
What with winter and virus lockdown as liveaboards we could take 200 litres since filling , so price matters, we live in Cowes so not really a problem. could claim 100% non propulsive but we have to motor to/from fuel barge.....maybe 5/95 split? No sails these days.:unsure: