So, do we go ahead, or try for late in season?

BrendanS

Visit site
Numbers down on previous years, which mean marquee hire etc become uneconomic. Do we go ahead with scaled down event? or try for later in year with more organisation and publicity. I've been preoccupied with other things this year, and haven't given it the attention it needed, and advance publicity.

BrendanS

Visit site
With the numbers we currently have, lower than in previous years, the finances don't stack up well. Fixed overheads like marquee hire mean we have to spread cost over a decent number of people to make it work

BarryH

Visit site
Most come for the social aspect of the Sat evening though, not the entire weekend, which is something maybe we need to publicise more?

markc

Visit site
Weather has been poor at the event in the past two years, so maybe a June or July event would be better subscribed. Could even, maybe, if we're lucky have a BBQ too!

M

bigmart

Visit site
I suppose that the real question is. How many do you need to make the event a Goer?

I am surprised that you haven't got a better response. I have never found the weather off putting. Is everybody turning into whimps! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Martin

BrendanS

Visit site
If you compare to previous years, we had 35/40 boats and crew, and about 15/20 without boat groups. We'd need similar. Last year we got the marquee cheap as they used it for other events. , at this late stage, this not likely, as I couldn't book without numbers. Even a smaller marquee isn't going to cover costs with current numbers.

I think postponing is best option currently, as food not booked either, and all getting a bit late in day to book food and marquee even if we get sudden run of people booking late

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
The snag is that if like me you only look at PBO, Scuttle and the For Sale, it is quite likely that one could be entirely unaware that an 'event' is in the offing.

It was only by pure chance that I stumbled on this.

Its quite a nice idea having a separate header for everything from events to pubs to IT issues etc.etc, but I bet you that 98% of the readership never look under those headers unless they have a specific reason.

Put the post back on Scuttlebutt, and I bet there will be many more enquiries.

I was rather looking fwd to this dispite being about the least 'clubby' person around...I wanna see what people look like!!

I'm dead against creating ever more separate headers, in fact i much prefered the way the forum looked a couple of years back.. blah blah..

All best and thanks for putting the work in on this.

Nick

www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather

BrendanS

Visit site
Nick,

Several posts went onto Scuttlebutt, same on Mobochat, and even PBO a few times. Under different headings!

You can't take a horse to water etc.

If you can post a message or two, maybe it would get more response than my posts so far, but it's really a bit late to get it organised now

SteveE

www.xisis.net
Phil,

My 2nd post was to confirm 6... I am with you the event it is a great one, and Brendon does a great job organising it, but does it need a marque? I for one do not think so if we do not have the people to fill it, the people that attend irrelevant of numbers is what matters IMHO..

PS why has this not been highlighted on the main forum?

BrendanS

Visit site
The reason for the marquee, is that even with lower numbers, there is almost nowhere that will take on this number at the cost we can do it for, nearby the marina (major consideration), with a bar too.

Rapidly coming to conclusion that maybe best set latter in year with lots of publicity

It's all been on main forum(s) many times. Problem is that people haven't seen messages obviously?

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: Good Idea

When this meet was first suggested at Wareham back in the dark mists of time, 2002 was it? Newtown Creek was the idea, then it got too big for that and Yarmouth was put foreward, then it got too big for that. Then John Watson put foreward a rescue plan and came up with Mercury.

So are we small enough for say, Yarmouth. I suspect time is too short to put anything together, now, so I guess something in June or July would be good.

I suspect there may a few die hards gather in Yarmouth that weekend anyway/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Good Idea

OK, I'm going to call off the official Mercury meet, but keep the forum here open for now, so that an informal meet can be arranged by those that still fancy getting together that weekend.

As the sponsorship from MDL is still there, maybe we can try again later in the season. Either summertime (though that means holidays and stuff gets in the way) or maybe right at the end of the season