Snapdragon24/747

G

I have been looking at a Snapdragon 747 B/K as a first boat is anyone able to comment on them.
What is the difference between a Snapdragon 24 and 747?
How well do they sail?
Is there an owners club?

jamesjermain

Visit site
The Snapdragons were standard coastal cruisers of the sixties and seventies. Essentially dull but safe, performance indifferent but easily handled. Accommodation not bad for the times but cramped by modern 24ft standards. 24s (introduced in the late sixties) will almost certainly need a deal of furbishment if it hasn't been done already. The 747s (launched mid-seventies)were, in effect, a Mk2 version with improved accommodation and slightly better headroom.

JJ

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
I have only just bought a Snapdragon 24 'Miss Sable' although from the comments of another owner I think she maybe a 747. The model I have does not have the outboard locker which sits up at the stern. The replies I had on the forums suggest she will be good for my requirements. I am currently stripping off the anti fouling and the hull (up till now 60% off) is almost perfect. She has sailed round all of Britain and been out to St Kilda a few times and weathered a few storms without trouble. The last owner had her 25 years. I look forward to getting her in the water but that will be in the spring.

G

747 is slightly longer. cockpit drains on the 747, not so easy on the 24. lots of these on the east coast.

G

The 24 and 747 are basically the same boat, major difference is the different apsect ratio of mast / sails. The 747 should when sailed correctly be more balanced. BUT the 24 is well behaved and should not be viewed as inferior.

G

They are strong dependable boats and have shown their worth many times.
I have read the posts above about differences in the marques and am amused to say the least !

Good luck .....

l'escargot

Visit site
Have a look here, I've posted the original advertising for the 747 (image heavy-slow loader)

http://freespace.virgin.net/sailing.boats/

the boat falls into the safe, family cruiser category, typical of their era. Tend to be well loved and cared for, but aging.

Also:

Snapdragon and Mirage Association Contact: P Lacy (Chairman)
16 Raymer Rd, Peneden Heath
Maidstone Kent ME14 2JQ
Tel: 01622 759491.
E-mail: pat.lacy@firstcarton.co.uk
or: V E Senatore (Vice Chairman)

14, Cornec Chase, Leigh-on-Sea
Essex SS9 5EW
Tel and Fax: (01702) 523540.
or: F E Watson, (Treasurer),

65 Pickford Lane
Bexley Heath, Kent DA7 4RN
Tel: 0181 306 9135.
E-mail: snapdragon@mcmail.com
The Boats. The Association has about 275 members (Nov '99) who between them own Snapdragons, Mirages and Invaders, all originally built by Thames Marine at Canvey Island.

These are the boats which qualify for membership of the Association:
Invader 20, 22
Mirage 16, 2700, 28, 29, 37
Snapdragon 600. 21, 670, 23, 747, 24, 26, 27, 890, 29 .

Technical. A journal is published by the Association bi-annually containing technical information and articles submitted by members. A technical information service is available free to members only, providing reprints of rigging, sail and hull plans for the majority of classes. Every member is presented with a register of subscribing members detailing boat name, sail number, sailing area and telephone number to enable members to get in touch with each other about technical problems. The register is updated twice a year.

Membership The Association has Thames Estuary, Medway and East coast rallies, meetings in early Autumn, and Spring and Summer cruises. Membership extends currently (Nov '99) as far as Australia, Sweden, Canada, and the USA. To become a member a £10 registration fee is charged and the annual subscription is £10 (paid by standing order). For more information please use any of the contacts above.

Regards