Small twenty foot ish all weather sailing boats any names?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Hmmmmm ....... now that does sound like an interesting little adventure!

Only problem is that, for me, their lovely sleek looks are spoiled by the outboard hanging off the transom.

Presumably some have a nice little Yanmar or Beta or ????

Oh ..... and I wonder how that plan might be affected by Brexit .... hmmmm ..... I feel some research coming on!
The outboard bracket off the stern is an owner add on because even the engineless Ifboat has a well in the lazerette. It can hold a 4hp very nicely. Swedes being Swedes would rather use an outboard bracket to allow spilt fuel (if any) to leak overboard and not into the lazerette. It is also reported that the outboard in the lazerette can be starved of air if the hatch was closed. I find leaked fuel actually drips into the well and to the sea. All in all though I have used both but do prefer the outboard bracket because the outbourd can be tilted in a second wheras in the lazerette it must be lifted out. I do sometimes take the outboard off the bracket and clamp in the well when I leave the boat. The lazerette hatch can then be locked.

Frankly, an IF does not need an inboard motor or any motor. Many ifboats in Sweden sail into and out of their marina berth. They can keep moving in anything from a breath to a gale.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
To those thinking of buying one you should know that the Ifboat is a strictly controlled class for racing. Therefore no modifications or you forfiet the sail number. Line drawings and construction plans are available as well as the racing rules on various sites on the web. The ifboat is now built in Germany. They have made a video on youtube comparing a side by side "race" between old an new. You may find no difference betwen the new at 40,000 quid and the old at 2,000 quid. Still I hope they makes a success of it. Actually there is not much to modify and no need either. A simple honest boat that works out of the tin, so to speak.

halcyon

Visit site
You are doubtless confusing the IF boat with the Nordic Folkboat a common error.

I can confirm that the International Folkboat has full Palais Glide accommodation below decks.

For the extra foot, much prefer my Halcyon 27 space / layout.

Brian

Zagato

Visit site
Hmmmmm ....... now that does sound like an interesting little adventure!

Only problem is that, for me, their lovely sleek looks are spoiled by the outboard hanging off the transom.

Presumably some have a nice little Yanmar or Beta or ????

Oh ..... and I wonder how that plan might be affected by Brexit .... hmmmm ..... I feel some research coming on!

Yes mine has a 5 year old 16HP Beta. You only need half that power but the owner preferred the smoother nicer twin to a single pot! The inboard well in the lazzerette for an outboard if that makes sense! Is only small designed for Seagull size engines of the period. Folk have adapted the well to fit bigger engines and also put in smaller Dolphin petrol inboard engines in so there are a few alternatives, let alone a couple that have fancy electric engines... at a cost... if you can put up with a noisy generator that you need to keep the batteries charged!

rwoofer

Visit site
The Muscadet is a good shout. They're great little boats, and it's what many French racers cut their teeth on back in the day. Still an active class in France.

For a more modern french offering, the Jeanneau Sun 2000 is a good little boat, and if you were to go a bit bigger, the Archambault Surprise is terrific.
Although they are nice boats, a Jeanneau sun 2000 is not an all weather boat. Much above 20 knots upwind gets very difficult, although great fun downwind!

Zagato

Visit site
Oh and the price asked in the UK for IF's is hilarious. You can pick up a mint one in Sweden for £1200 and given how seaworthy they are sail it home.
link

Swedish IF Boats are about 2K cheaper in Sweden and 1K in the Netherlands. The Swedish quote a price range depending on condition from 20,000 svk to 60,000. About £1700 to £5500. The one in your link has been up for a long time, no pics of interior this time around! Don,t think you can get anything mint for £1200.

doug748

Visit site
Yes mine has a 5 year old 16HP Beta. You only need half that power but the owner preferred the smoother nicer twin to a single pot! The inboard well in the lazzerette for an outboard if that makes sense! Is only small designed for Seagull size engines of the period. Folk have adapted the well to fit bigger engines and also put in smaller Dolphin petrol inboard engines in so there are a few alternatives, let alone a couple that have fancy electric engines... at a cost... if you can put up with a noisy generator that you need to keep the batteries charged!

Indeed, but a point of order Zegato.....

I used a Evinrude 6hp Yacht twin in the well for many years, when it was stolen, at short notice, I got hold of a longshaft Mercury 9.9 2 stroke which fitted fitted fine. I think 4/5/6 hp, in many ways, would be ideal and you could get it to steer as well. If I daysailed one now I would seriously consider using the dinghy outboard for convenience.

Tord Sunden was once asked where was the best place to store the outboard on an IF boat, he said: "In the garden shed"

Lucy52

Visit site
Let's not forget it's slightly larger sisters - Hunter 19 and Europa - fantastic wee boats.
That would be the Squib with a Lid. I went on one at Earls court, the young man had sailed it across the atlantic, wrote a book I believe. It might sail like a witch, but there is absolutely no room inside for normal folk.

PeteCooper

Visit site
That would be the Squib with a Lid. I went on one at Earls court, the young man had sailed it across the atlantic, wrote a book I believe. It might sail like a witch, but there is absolutely no room inside for normal folk.
It depends what you are used to. When I had my Europa 3 of us had many long weekends aboard, usually on the Humber or occasionally Windermere.
I believe it was David Blagden who sailed the Atlantic in one - Willing Griffin?

Lucy52

Visit site
I believe it was David Blagden who sailed the Atlantic in one - Willing Griffin?

Yes that is the one. I was young and would have loved one then, but not now my bones creak.

I also looked on an Etchells 22 which had a lid put on at the same show. Looked wicked, a bit like a Dragon.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It depends what you are used to. When I had my Europa 3 of us had many long weekends aboard, usually on the Humber or occasionally Windermere.

The Hunter 19 was the Squib with a lid. It was very cramped inside and could downflood with distressing ease, so it was developed into the Europa, which is the same hull with an extra 3" (iirc) above the rubbing strip on the topsides. I think it may also have a different cabin roof; whether or not is does it has a fair bit more room inside than the 19. As well as the topsides, you can usually tell the difference by the windows - if they are rounded it's a 19 and if they are angular it's a Europa.

My Hunter 490 is basically a small Hunter 19 with a lifting keel like the Anderson 22, which is also an Oliver Lee design. The 490 sails like a witch but is ... compact inside. Anyone who wants one is welcome to contact me. A great deal of money need not be involved.

Yup. I have his book "Very Willing Griffin". "Willing Griffin" was a heavily modified Hunter 19 and it took some effort to get the RORC to let her take part.

Curious fact: David Blagden was the sailing consultant for the original Swallows and Amazons film and appears in it as the policeman.

Sybarite

Visit site
Let's not forget that jester was a folkboat. Made something like 17 Atlantic crossings with M Richey. Plus a few under Hasler. I am sure they encountered worse at some point.
Not forgetting that Richey had to abandon the original during an Atlantic storm...

convey

N/A
Visit site
Was there a purchase?

The Havsfidra has a bigger sister, the Storfidra 25. But 25, along with the Folkboat derivatives takes you into a different league. You'll be suprised when you see a 25' next to a 20/22', they look about double the size (volume), and hence the costs too.

Nearer to you in Spain, you might find a Jouet Golif. I'd say they were a lot easier to cork up than, say, an old Westerly. They're surprisingly holey.

Interesting ventillation system. The boat breaths thru two self-draining nostrils at the prow. Full-sized charttable too.

No one mentioned the Hurley 22s?

00410006.jpg

pixel.gif

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
No it was just a post to churn up ideas to day dream,at present renovating the basement?.........but always fancied a Golif like the quirky French functionality and they where early in understanding grp enabled different shapes could be made