Slow boats to Cherbourg

colhel

Visit site
I've been encouraged to come along in my Leisure 23SL. I have done the trip previously albeit on bigger boats with experienced crew. I'm still quite nervous and would only set off in ideal weather conditions. Just wondered how many other boats (if any) in this class are planning to,or have made the trip.

fireball

Visit site
It'll be a while before people realise this forum is open. But hopefully you'll get a few along soon.

There have been a number of "small" boats in the last couple of years as well as a number of larger ones too!

Babylon

Visit site
I've been encouraged to come along in my Leisure 23SL. I have done the trip previously albeit on bigger boats with experienced crew. I'm still quite nervous and would only set off in ideal weather conditions. Just wondered how many other boats (if any) in this class are planning to,or have made the trip.

If I can make it (divorce and house sale now dragging on with exquisite pain - therefore haven't previously thrown my hat into the ring), then I'll be doing it in my 27-footer. Maybe a little bigger than your boat, but still slower than anything over 30-foot, which I imagine will be the majority of yachts crossing.

As per previous crossings, I plan on maintaining 4.5kts miniumum (donk if I have to) for the 65NM, so allowing about 14hrs in the Channel itself. Mid/late-Sept weather should be quite fine, but I'd waver about departing if its blowing or forecast to blow a F6 - depending however on sea-state. Its going to be Neaps, so the only worry is leftover swell from any earlier gale. Shouldn't expect fog at this time of year. All I'd ask for is a steady F4 from the west. :)

prv

Visit site
I probably fall into this category. 24', gaff rigged, bilge keels, so no speed machine :)

I'm not going to chance it with the weather (although if it does turn out rough and anyone with a bigger boat wants extra crew I'd be delighted to be able to attend that way :) ). Although I've done longish trips as delivery crew on bigger boats (and very long trips on square-riggers :) ) this'll be the furthest I've been so far on KS and longest individual leg as skipper. So glad there's some other first-timers in small boats about :)

Pete

ash2020

Visit site
I may be along in my Jaguar 23 with partner Julia. A few ifs and buts though. Julia doesn't know a great deal about sailing and I'm not very good at catnaps so I might end up completely knackered by the time we get there.
The other things I would like are - AIS engine by NASA £100, new set of flares £70, dinner & drinks £80, one or two essential flags, £50. All in all it looks like 3-400 quid all in. I'm pretty strapped at the moment so it may not work out. We'll try our hardest though.
p.s. Is it essential to have either a liferaft or self inflating dinghy to keep the gendarmes happy?
Andrew

Topcat47

Visit site
My boat is a 26, but has only a 20' waterline. Only a F7 or above will keep me in harbour, but I'd rather have a steady W F4 too

prv

Visit site
The other things I would like are - AIS engine by NASA £100, new set of flares £70, dinner & drinks £80, one or two essential flags, £50. All in all it looks like 3-400 quid all in. I'm pretty strapped at the moment so it may not work out.

Of that I reckon only the dinner and drinks are essential :)

By "new set" of flares I assume you have some old ones - how old are they and how much difference do you think it really makes? AIS is nice but people have been crossing the channel without it forever so I certainly wouldn't see it as essential. I don't have it, and although I did at one point think "I'll probably get it before my first channel crossing", in fact it's fairly unlikely I will do in the next couple of weeks and this doesn't worry me. OK, you should have a red ensign and a French courtesy flag - but £50 for that?!? Get a printed (not sewn) ensign for under a tenner - and I happen to have a spare French one I could lend you if needed.

Pete

ash2020

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't got any flares now. Took my 2003 ones to the RNLI last week and I was going to wait until December to buy a new set as you then effectively get another year out of them. It sounds like the French authorities can be very strict over that one.
I did a crossing to Alderney a couple of years ago with a very experienced sailing friend on a slightly larger boat. I had AIS then and came to the conclusion that the shipping lanes would be very scary without it during the night crossing.
You're right about the flags, just a cheap French one would do - already have the ensign.
I'm probably just a born worrier, for example, how on earth do you prove that VAT has been paid on your boat if its 30 years old and there's no documents?

fireball

Visit site
Your boat is subject to UK requirements - not French - so in theory it shouldn't matter what you do/don't have aboard - however, in case of a search, no flares is probably better than out of date ones...

TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested.
Just remember though - if questioned by authorities then just be friendly and helpful - telling them what is and isn't their right is only likely to make things worse..

fergie_mac66

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't got any flares now. Took my 2003 ones to the RNLI last week and I was going to wait until December to buy a new set as you then effectively get another year out of them. It sounds like the French authorities can be very strict over that one.
I did a crossing to Alderney a couple of years ago with a very experienced sailing friend on a slightly larger boat. I had AIS then and came to the conclusion that the shipping lanes would be very scary without it during the night crossing.
You're right about the flags, just a cheap French one would do - already have the ensign.
I'm probably just a born worrier, for example, how on earth do you prove that VAT has been paid on your boat if its 30 years old and there's no documents?

shame about the 2003 flares you could have got a a small tin of cellulose thinners from B&Q to remove the date and a date stamp from whsmith and put a new date on the old ones! :)

fireball

Visit site
Never had a visit from the douaniers then?

nope - best way to avoid that sort of thing is to surround yourself by a load of other visitors and look disgusted at their behaviour ... works every September around a neaps tide weekend! ;)

duncan

Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested

Didn't they want to see your passports then? :)

nope the marina staff have cottoned on to the SSR having the boat's name and length nicely printed on them - perfect for their needs!

colhel

Visit site
Perhaps all us little ones should start a convoy? :).
I still haven't put my name forward due to still feeling a little unsure, the only thing holding me back is the thought of being alone out there and weather uncertaincies, by that I mean, will the predicted weather be actually or near enough what we'll recieve?

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
TBH - the only thing I've been asked for in Cherbourg is my SSR certificate. Beyond that they're not interested

nope the marina staff have cottoned on to the SSR having the boat's name and length nicely printed on them - perfect for their needs!

A few years ago on a bank holiday trip to St Vaast, just about at Barfluer, one of the crew tells me she does not have her passport with her!:eek:

prv

Visit site
Perhaps all us little ones should start a convoy? :)

Not sure I'd want to strictly follow other people's times and (especially) speeds, but certainly it would be nice to know of other Scuttlebutters in the vicinity.

Don't forget yer forum burgee if you've got one :)

Is there typically a designated radio channel on these jollies?

Have we finally found a use for AIS transmitters in yachts? :D (not that anyone in this thread will have them, I'm sure.)

KS is quite distinctive - black hull, two masts, bowsprit, four reddish sails. Give us a wave if you see us :)

Pete

Other threads that may be of interest