Skipper Wanted

WLane

Visit site
Hi there. Purchased a Hunter Horizon 27 in good condition and she's currently berthed in Hythe Marina until the end of March 2022. Need to get her over to Exmouth to my swinging mooring in the Estuary.

It's a bit much for my level of experience at this stage and time of year, but I make a good crew member. Additional crew available if required.

In addition to fees and expenses, I'm happy to ferry by car at either end to wherever you need to go (mainland UK obviously :)

I'm self employed, so I can be very flexible about departure dates.

Thanks

Will

Visit site
Hi Will. Congratulations on buying that Hunter. If it is LimeJuice, then I saw it advertised on the owners association web site, and I was thinking I might ask to view it but saw that it was sold.
If you can wait an extra month or two then I may be able to help you. I hold Coastal Skipper practical and Day Skipper, but have not yet done Coastal Skipper theory (planning for this year). I live in Southampton so I would be very happy to just help you take your new boat out sailing, or skipper for you as far as Weymouth. I also have another pal who lives nearby who is fully Coastal Skipper certified and may be interested in joining a trip. I work part-time, so days can be flexed to suit. Do get in touch via here or direct message if you want to talk through any ideas or questions.
Barton.

WLane

Visit site
Hi Barton. It is LimeJuice, you're right. I have to state I don't own her yet, but the sale is proceeding which I'm really pleased with. The current owner has the mooring until the end of March, so I'll be getting her seaworthy over the coming weeks (just a bit of running rigging to replace/clean up, general engine service, cleaning and minor maintenance stuff really). I won't be able to take on the berth any longer than I absolutely need to. Let me know if you think you'll be available though, whether for short trips or the full journey. I'll DM you my number. Thanks. Will

Visit site
We may have to find some cunning non-public way of sharing either phone number or email address. I don't think I have built up enough "history" on this forum to be able to use DM, and I suspect the same applies to you as your "joined" date is today. I will see what I can think of.

Gwylan

Visit site
One hit or a couple of days? In March the days are still short. Daylight might be best for your situation.
P.m. if you need some support

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
One hit or a couple of days? In March the days are still short. Daylight might be best for your situation.
P.m. if you need some support
Much more comfortable to do this with the tides over a few days. I'd spend a day or two in the Solent to check everything works as expected and getting more familiar with the boat.
Position yourself for a night at the West end of the Solent, Yarmouth, Lymington ot anchor at Totland then take the tide to Portland. I usually anchor just inside the harbour where there are a number of moorings, but you could use the marina there or the town quay in Weymouth.
Get the tides right for the inside passage around Portland Bill and a longish leg across Lyme Bay will get you to Exmouth.
You'll probably have headwinds but take your time and enjoy your new boat!

Corsaire

Visit site
HI, I am an freelance RYA/MCA Commercially Endorsed YachtMaster Offshore / Cruising Instructor with Skippers Liability insurance. I'd be happy to discuss your delivery and assist if you'd like. PM me to discuss further if you'd like.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I have just bought a Fulmar over in Portland and brought her back Monday/Tuesday to Pompey, stopping at Yarmouth
We split it into 2 legs simply because of the short days and weather/temperature this time of year.

A short sail from Hythe out into the Solent throw in some tacking, reefing of sails check all the deck gear runs and works then you could stay overnight at Lymington that gives you easy access to 2 chandlers in town if needed.
I would then do the rest of the trip in hops, next stop Weymouth or Portland then aim for slack water at the Bill and across Lyme bay to Exmouth, just break it down to comfortable legs.

We waited nearly a month for a suitable weather window as it was we ended up doing a 4 hour sail from Yarmouth to Pompey on Tuesday in thick fog which was 'interesting' !

WLane

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Spent 15mins trying to work out how to sent a DM/PM, only to see Barton's reply.

Some of the good people from the Hunter association in the area have said they're are going to pay me a visit, so I'm going to have a good pick of their brains regards the boat (hopefully in the next week or so if they're available). Once I've done that I'll be in touch Barton and Corsaire, thanks.

Was definitely thinking about a staged journey. I had been thinking about Poole, then perhaps Portland, but I'll get the charts out and dust off the almanac as Lymington area sounds like a good idea.

A friend and I and I had planned to do a few short trips around Southampton water if the weather permits and try to get the hang of the sail handling on her before any serious journey is undertaken.