Skipper 14 sails

jwilson

Visit site
A sailmaker. Show him the hull and spars. Bear in mind there were three different rig options on these boats: one gunter with a sleeved mainsail and I think no shrouds, and two different bermudan rigs with shrouds and forestay and mainsail with luff-tape.

I had one of the better Bermudan rig ones from new and the original sail quality was pretty poor. Offwind in a reasonable breeze it was really quite a fast hull, let down to windward by the sails.

penfold

Visit site
If you're intent on finding used sails(seeking Skipper sails that are less knackered than what you already have seems a fools errand with such an old design) the first step is to measure your rig. The main ones needed are, assuming a bermudan rig, as per the diagram.

673b.gif

RebeccaPini

Visit site
If you're intent on finding used sails(seeking Skipper sails that are less knackered than what you already have seems a fools errand with such an old design) the first step is to measure your rig. The main ones needed are, assuming a bermudan rig, as per the diagram.

View attachment 113888
Thank you...a fools errand indeed, but the mice have got to ours, and its not worth spending lots of money on, if I don't find any second hand ones, I might just patch up the holes myself!
Thanks for your advice.

penfold

Visit site
I haven't made myself clear; with the measurements it is a lot easier to look for good used sails of a similar size for different dinghies(if there is a racing class with a similar-sized rig there may be a buoyant market furnished with good used sails offered by the front runners who want new sails every season) which can be either used as-is or altered to suit for not much money by a sailmaker. Scaling very roughly from the drawing on sailboatdata.com P is about 15' 6" and E is about 9'.

Last edited: