Size restrictions

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
Hi
Newbie starting out with plans to purchase a boat after training & studies. Based on River Crouch we plan mostly coastal trips but want to cruise the Thames ideally as far up as feasible. Dimensions to achieve this in a semi displacement cruiser is critical in my choice of boat. Can anyone help with this especially draught and air draught limits.
At the moment I am leaning to a twin 100/130 hp deisel non turbo shaft drive.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Above Oxford air draft is around 7ft6 that is what Osney bridge is at normal summer levels. Last year I got to Lechlade with 3ft4 draught on twin shafts and my air draft is around 6ft6 with gear down.

The statutory channel depth is 3ft and yes I did drag the skegs in a few places and turning at Lechlade was a bit interesting as rather shallow.

There is not a lot of point going above Oxford so this limited air and water draft is not that important as a deal breaker for buying a boat unless you are already based on the Thames and particularly like the upper reaches and having cows defaecate on your mooring lines.

It's actually incredibly boring/nice and peaceful above Oxford depending on your outlook.

oldgit

Visit site
Probably just about the most historic and interesting trip possible on any continent.
Your next question on here should be..... What boat do I need . ? :)

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
Probably just about the most historic and interesting trip possible on any continent.
Your next question on here should be..... What boat do I need . ? :)
I suppose a Broom would do for Thames Live aboard with a fat generator? Thinking of plan B (B for Brexit :) getting ready to sail to North Africa next month LOL

oldgit

Visit site
A Broom*** of some description, the newer the better, would be ideal for the Thames . As with everything else in life budget is King.
Advantages of any Broom would be stability (oft overlooked) interior volume, vital for sanity and a relationship saver during extended periods afloat
Decent wide side decks to get access to all parts of the boat, especially when locking or mooring.
You or your partner will not need the build of a wraith and the agility of a mountain goat to risk the the perils of some ankle snapping 50mm wide "ledge" to go to the bow usually found on most "Tent boats"
The downside.
Brooms have been around more or less since Noah first sailed from Windsor Marina in his Ark.
There are loads of ancient worn out older boats out there .More will be appearing on the market this year.
Extra special care in the engine department. Go for the boat with the most modern engines you can afford. :)

***Other boats are available. :)

Plum

Visit site
Hi
Newbie starting out with plans to purchase a boat after training & studies. Based on River Crouch we plan mostly coastal trips but want to cruise the Thames ideally as far up as feasible. Dimensions to achieve this in a semi displacement cruiser is critical in my choice of boat. Can anyone help with this especially draught and air draught limits.
At the moment I am leaning to a twin 100/130 hp deisel non turbo shaft drive.
I'm on the Crouch too and have done the Thames 4 times in recent years. I have an airdraft of 2.5m and that also allows me to cruise a large proportion of the Norfolk Broads and (if all goes well for this spring) up the Medway to Tonbridge. So, just another consideration when choosing size of boat for East Coast cruising. With the current closure of Hammersmith bridge it may be years before you can go up the Thames.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum

Visit site
You can go now with a booked passage.
Hmm, I see, thanks, but having to book 3 days in advance for a once a week opportunity when planning a two week holiday up the Thames is too restrictive for me, especially going downstream at the end of the holiday when I need to also find a weather window for a 7 hour passage home.

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
I'm on the Crouch too and have done the Thames 4 times in recent years. I have an airdraft of 2.5m and that also allows me to cruise a large proportion of the Norfolk Broads and (if all goes well for this spring) up the Medway to Tonbridge. So, just another consideration when choosing size of boat for East Coast cruising. With the current closure of Hammersmith bridge it may be years before you can go up the Thames.

Thanks. I am viewing online Brooms at 2.9 ?

Star-Lord

Visit site
A Broom*** of some description, the newer the better, would be ideal for the Thames . As with everything else in life budget is King.
Advantages of any Broom would be stability (oft overlooked) interior volume, vital for sanity and a relationship saver during extended periods afloat
Decent wide side decks to get access to all parts of the boat, especially when locking or mooring.
You or your partner will not need the build of a wraith and the agility of a mountain goat to risk the the perils of some ankle snapping 50mm wide "ledge" to go to the bow usually found on most "Tent boats"
The downside.
Brooms have been around more or less since Noah first sailed from Windsor Marina in his Ark.
There are loads of ancient worn out older boats out there .More will be appearing on the market this year.
Extra special care in the engine department. Go for the boat with the most modern engines you can afford. :)

***Other boats are available. :)
A 38 foot Nelson may fit the bill better. Not a big fan of Broom really but they do seem but for rivers. Only worry is getting a boat that is not suited to going slow! Still deciding. Thx for your advice!

oldgit

Visit site
A 38 foot Nelson may fit the bill better. Not a big fan of Broom really but they do seem but for rivers. Only worry is getting a boat that is not suited to going slow! Still deciding. Thx for your advice!

On the last Dunkerque Commemoration Cruise support fleet organised bt the ATYC, a good proportion of the particpants risked their lives in Brooms of all vintages and sizes including the organiser in his Crown.
Virtually all the Brooms in my club ranging from three ancient 1970s Broom 37 up to Broom 450 via 33s and 38s have cruised extensively on the continent over the decades
Many of the more allegedly and visually sea worthy vessels on our moorings have failed to venture anywhere near as far.
The boat will go anywhere its the crew that is the problem
Ps Have never had a Broom and not likely to buy one any time soon , basically its the net curtains :)

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site

Brooms built some very capable sea boats. We had a Broom Ocean 37 and a Broom 41 and they take a lot of beating in terms of build quality. We did a Thames trip in our 41 and it was just the ticket and fine speed wise at tickover - we tended to run on one engine (gearboxes need to be okay for lubrications when prop is free wheeling). A bit high sided - okay for me hopping off in locks at 6’5” but not so easy for SWMBO.

Our current Hardy has much lower decks so would be much easier, as would a Nelson 38.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Brooms built some very capable sea boats. We had a Broom Ocean 37 and a Broom 41 and they take a lot of beating in terms of build quality. We did a Thames trip in our 41 and it was just the ticket and fine speed wise at tickover - we tended to run on one engine (gearboxes need to be okay for lubrications when prop is free wheeling). A bit high sided - okay for me hopping off in locks at 6’5” but not so easy for SWMBO.

Our current Hardy has much lower decks so would be much easier, as would a Nelson 38.
Hardy, nice boat!