SitRep May29

oldbilbo

Visit site
JESTER AZORES CHALLENGE 2016

SITREP No. TWELVE 2911740AMay

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

Trevor Leek in Jester: from Sandra. Hello Ewen, Just to let you know that I have just heard from Trevor and have updated his position on ocean racetrack (ORT) ...all positions are around noon. Trevor had company for the night....a storm petrel joined him for the night and flew off this morning. I will update ocean racetrack as and when I hear from him! Looks as if there will soon be some arrivals. ORT current psn given at 1300A today: 50º 3’14º 9’W co 230

Roger Fitzgerald in Ella Trout at 291530AMay: Just Over the Horizon. The weather persists in resisting my efforts to get west, I suspect the wind gods are making me pay for going round their storm. It has certainly been up hill this last 24 hours, and the last 600 miles! There has been some sun but there has also been lots of squalls and heavy rain. It's pouring down at the moment. This has meant, day and night, lots taking reefs and then, a few hours later, shaking them out again, always with the wind ahead. On one occasion I thought I saw something fall on the deck when taking the second reef. I did; when hoisting the mainsail later the second reef didn't come out, the shackle must have come undone and fallen overboard. That wasted me an hour, fortunately it was during the day so we're now working fine. The next storm is due over the Azores on Tuesday and with still 160 miles to go it looks like it is setting out the welcome mat because that's about the time I should arrive. Hopefully it will be daylight and I can get safely into the marina. I have just heard a ship talking to a yacht on the radio checking that they will pass safely. I couldn't hear the yacht but ship was quite clear which suggests there maybe a Jester some 30 to 50 miles away. Nothing else to report just wish we could get some decent Azorian weather which is what I came for!

Latest ORT psn at 1400A today. 39º 30’23º 35’ co 250

Julien Pipat in Bula: From Andy Lane: Julien's Birthday today! Psn at 290730AMay, 40° 07’N; 26° 04’W. co 180, sp 3kt. So close to arriving but wind dying today, may not arrive for his birthday but in time to welcome his wife and daughters who arrive Terçera tomorrow.

Duncan Sclare in Freebird: Ewen, Freebird made rapid progress up the west coast of Ireland after 2 days rest in Baltimore and is now home on her mooring in Westport. Skipper was exhausted but got up the following morning at 2am to catch a flight to Terceira booked for my return crew (now not needed) Now sitting in Praia beautiful sunshine relaxing, awaiting arrivals will post as soon as get any sightings. Sorry to hear of Graham Humphries retirement and find it more than a little interesting that he drilled holes through his Jester sticker as I also did!!! We are both Achillies yachts. (Don't worry about the fuel Graham, give it to me in Plymouth next year for "Jester Baltimore") Good luck to all still out there. Duncan.

Doug Pingel in Jekeeda: ‘360 n. miles from target’. ORT psn at 1300A today, 39º 36’N; 19º 43’W.

Basil Panakis in Jaba: 41º.49676N; 17º.89740 at 1300A. Routine position report. Jaba and skipper are fine.

Glen Maxwell in Tao Zou: 41º 50’N; 20º 48’W at 0830A today.

ARRIVALS

Very soon!

( Julien Pipat - 'Birthday Boy' - is under 100nm DTG with breeze fading and backing SW
Roger Fitzgerald in 'Ella Trout III' - much the same.)

PAUSED

Peter Crawley in Sheldro: Hello Ewen, Not sure if you received my email on 20 May (I didn’t receive it) saying that I smacked one side of my rib cage and returned back to Torquay. It is my intention to complete the Challenge when I can move better, subject to family influence and dog sitters. Regards Peter.

RETIREMENTS

Bill Churchouse in Belgean: returned to Plymouth, reason not known

Roy Tall in Spirit of Venus returned to Falmouth and is now safely in Southampton.

Ertan Beskardes in Lokum returned in good order to Falmouth.

Colin Reid in Tui returned in good order to Falmouth.

Guy Willing in Blue Grass returned in good order to Falmouth. He signalled today: I arrived back at Cowes this morning all well rigging was repaired in Falmouth but unfortunately ran out of time for another attempt. Thank you again for organising an amazing event. Even though I didn't get that far I learnt a lot and had an amazing time.

Tony Head in Triple Venture returned in good order to Plymouth.

Howard Chivers in Sandpiper returned in good order to Plymouth.

Duncan Sclare in Freebird: returned in good order to Baltimore.

Thom d’Arcy in Fathom returned in good order to Ria de Caedeira.

Jonathan Hopper in Francesca returned in good order to Plymouth.

Graham Humphreys in Tenacious has returned in good order to ‘Blighty’.

Moons’ls!

Ewen

Here's the latest int-pic...

jest29_zpse4tstcwh.jpg