Sirius 310 DS - Amazing or What?

Lucy52

Visit site
Yes, I went aboard a Sirus at SIBS, and agree they are nice and have more volume. De Valk sent me details of an affordable one just after I bought Katy Louise, I rather kicked myself. I was a bit concerned about the cost of maintenance and also the Nauticat 32 with all the complex systems, second helm and the like. I couldn't afford a new one without a lottery win. The Nauticat 32 I looked at had quite good storage and layout with the space well used, but not customised and they are no longer made. The deck saloon gave good visibility. It had teak decks which are a liability. I still think maybe I should have bought it but it was a little more than Katy Louise.

Simon__

Visit site
As someone said they sail as you would expect, and probably a deal better.

The 310DS that is up for sale, Angarad, did the 2017 Round the Island which was probably a little gentle for the type but docile enough for family crews to use downwind sails if they had a mind

They completed the course in 10 hrs 44 elapsed time. To put this in context:

Red hot racers did this race in 6+ hours
Serious modern racers 7+
Fast cruiser racers/older racing boats 8+
Older smaller crusier/racers and AWBs of various flavours 9+
Steadier AWBs and the wounded 10+
Most boats finishing over 11 hours were of the smaller older variety.

There is always a huge spread but Angarad finished within striking distance of 7 Hanses and 34 Bavarias took over 10 hours. Also 32 ft is very much at the small end of the scale when looking at direct comparisons on elapsed time.

I am not normally this sad but I had some figures, on this particular race, to hand. :)

Interesting, only one sample and lots of variables (quality of sails, ability of crew, whether you’re trying or having a nice day out etc.) but a V34P, Regard (sail VP21), just pipped it at 10:21:55 and the Vancouver’s seem to have mixed reviews in regards to performance.

Quiddle

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't want a Sirius because they are just too breeze-blockesque in their appearance. That said, the interior design is exquisite and Torsten's obvious passion is compelling.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Bru is right.

The Sirius IS a clever well made boat. But I stand by my previous post, our chosen vessel is of equal or perhaps better overall quality and also has loads of clever storage, internal and external. I easily get six really big fenders and four slightly smaller ones in one of our four outside lazzaretes.

The older Nauticats are - IMHO - very dated now. Very well made, durable and seaworthy too. They were on our shortlist but the second Senior Moment of our lives allowed the spending of what was, for us, a great deal of money on the only modern motorsailer on the market.

We dont regret it, as I am sure owners of Sirrius boats dont regret their choice.

Reactions: Bru

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Just a few observations. I agree that the Sirius are cleverly designed boats.

A customized boat is really only of significant interest to a first owner, which is pretty much the whole point of the exercise and expense.

As to performance: as to be expected. They are relatively heavy and SA is modest by modern standards, though an increase of 20% is available as an option. The German sailing mag, Yacht, did a comparison test of contemporary cruisers in this size category and the Sirius was among the slower models.

A decksalon is not a wheelhouse, there is no comparison really, IMHO, having owned both varieties.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Bru is right.

The Sirius IS a clever well made boat. But I stand by my previous post, our chosen vessel is of equal or perhaps better overall quality and also has loads of clever storage, internal and external. I easily get six really big fenders and four slightly smaller ones in one of our four outside lazzaretes.

The older Nauticats are - IMHO - very dated now. Very well made, durable and seaworthy too. They were on our shortlist but the second Senior Moment of our lives allowed the spending of what was, for us, a great deal of money on the only modern motorsailer on the market.

We dont regret it, as I am sure owners of Sirrius boats dont regret their choice.
What is “our chosen vessel”?

rotrax

Visit site
What is “our chosen vessel”?

See post #14.

Coincidentaly, #14 is her Hull Number.

Took three years research, looking at crap and the odd well presented boat plus meeting many brokers who were in the wrong job.

We spent far more than was necessary but you cant take it with you and we both really enjoy the boat.

Which, after all, is what it all boils down to.

Reactions: Bru

johnalison

Visit site
There is a very good reason for the colour of Island Packets. Most are used in the tropics where a form of snow blindness is easily caused by glare from white deck and coachroof.

Their colour enables the deck to be seen in the dark and without eye strain during tropical sunlight.
And the choleric hull colour doesn't dazzle those who have fallen overboard I suppose.

rotrax

Visit site
And the choleric hull colour doesn't dazzle those who have fallen overboard I suppose.

I dont mind criticism, but, IMHO, your post adds little of value, just shows a personal dislike of the colour, or is an attemp at points scoring. Which has not worked.

Well, take it from me, the attributes of our chosen vessel far outweigh its colour.

Despite its quality and features, because of its colour it will never be an AWB, will it?

Could easily become a MAB I suppose......................... ;)