Singlehanded Jordan Series Drogue deployment

Poey50

Visit site
Our 103 cone JSD for a 32 footer uses the very well made Ocean Brake cones and 8mm Acera Amundsen 12 strand HMPE rope (including for the bridles) which I bought from a big fishing industry supplier. Slipperiness is the issue that has to be overcome for recovery but Ocean Brake have come up with a design for stopper knots to be tied in every few metres and used as purchase for prussik knots on a recovery system. Details are on the Morgan's Cloud site. The weight and size savings are very substantial using HMPE. Extra weight is needed at the far end however to compensate for the lower relative density. But it all flakes into a 60 litre dry bag.

ACERA AMUNDSEN - Wilhelmsen

Last edited:

Binnacle

Visit site
I have a 14mm line for my Sea Brake as original equipment. Seabrake | Burke Marine

If using UHMWPE (Dyneema, Spectra, etc.) has real advantages, can someone convince me of them please ? Or is polysteel an alternative ? The whole kit stored in a bag is a bit heavy and it would be useful to make it more portable and easy to deploye.

TVM.

Poey50

Visit site
If using UHMWPE (Dyneema, Spectra, etc.) has real advantages, can someone convince me of them please ? Or is polysteel an alternative ? The whole kit stored in a bag is a bit heavy and it would be useful to make it more portable and easy to deploye.

TVM.

ADVANTAGES
Lower weight
Smaller size
Easy to splice
Easy to thread cones.

DISADVANTAGES
Slippery for recovery so needs stopper knots
Relatively less dense so needs greater end weight to compensate
The lighter bridle may be more prone to looping back and taking out a wind vane rudder. Battens to hold out bridle legs are suggested to prevent this.

Morgan's Cloud has a good discussion of these issues but you would still need to do your research if going DIY or Ocean Brake offer this HMPE option. I chose to buy the cones from Ocean Brake. As seen in the photo (above) they are very strong.

Poey50

Visit site
@Poey50 Are you making your own? Can you share your design? (no. cones, lengths, dia of bridle/leader)?\

I think this is probably the wrong forum for a detailed account. Feel free to ask it on the Practical Boat Owner forum. But basically start here with your boat displacement and work out a design load. It's then easy to work out the equivalent in 12 strand HMPE.

About Jordan's Series Drogue

See also GHA who beat me to it. There is plenty on the internet with a bit of searching including how to make the splices.

Last edited:

Poey50

Visit site
But just to give a visual representation of the smaller overall size using HMPE, this pack contains the drogue, bridle, and end-weight chain for an 11,000 ib displacement boat.

cieaPFEl.jpg

zoidberg

Visit site
But basically start here with your boat displacement and work out a design load. It's then easy to work out the equivalent in 12 strand HMPE.

Be wary of the word 'displacement' and what you presume it means. Do make sure the figure you choose - on which the kit is specified - is the LADEN displacement.

Poey50

Visit site
Thanks and a lomo bag to boot!

I copied that from Northcave (OP). He gave me some very unusual advice which was not to be put off by the low prices. I'm now the proud owner of 6 Lomo waterproof bags of various sizes. Good quality at Aldi prices.