single handed to the Azores

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
Still unsure of the software issue, so im going to Purchase the Nasa Target HF3w with software included to load on to PC. I did quite like the Nasa BT3 to pick up all Navtex reports. ill have to mull over wether to buy this as well. going to try and and use the backstay as antenna for HF. Ive been studying hard reading pressure charts. fascinating stuff . Feel im making lots of progress. really glad I started this thread.. so much info. oh iridium go is a no go.
Thanks
steveeasy

GHA

Visit site
Hi,
Still unsure of the software issue, so im going to Purchase the Nasa Target HF3w with software included to load on to PC. I did quite like the Nasa BT3 to pick up all Navtex reports. ill have to mull over wether to buy this as well. going to try and and use the backstay as antenna for HF. Ive been studying hard reading pressure charts. fascinating stuff . Feel im making lots of progress. really glad I started this thread.. so much info. oh iridium go is a no go.
Thanks
steveeasy
Well worth shopping around, there really are much better options than that radio.... this guy is an experienced Ham >>
NASA ssb radio - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I've had one, gave it away .....
Before going Ham I used a Degen 1103 across the atlantic, still onboard as it's a good receiver but seems to be discontinued, tecsun pl680 gets mentioned a lot, also a Sony seems very popular among ocean cruisers but not sure of the model.
Jvcomm software works well, Nasa software wasn't great either.
JVComm32 - FAX SSTV RTTY SYNOP NAVTEX program
Lots other options, HF weatherfax decoder for android works OK just with tablet next to radio though nice to have image on a laptop .

steveeasy

Visit site
Well worth shopping around, there really are much better options than that radio.... this guy is an experienced Ham >>
NASA ssb radio - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I've had one, gave it away .....
Before going Ham I used a Degen 1103 across the atlantic, still onboard as it's a good receiver but seems to be discontinued, tecsun pl680 gets mentioned a lot, also a Sony seems very popular among ocean cruisers but not sure of the model.
Jvcomm software works well, Nasa software wasn't great either.
JVComm32 - FAX SSTV RTTY SYNOP NAVTEX program
Lots other options, HF weatherfax decoder for android works OK just with tablet next to radio though nice to have image on a laptop .
Thats great, ill have a search now ive got an idea where to get software.
steveeasy

Rappey

Visit site
No one has mentioned the nasa radiotelex .
A hf radio receiver that displays weather messages on its screen.

Budgieboy

Visit site
Steve ... I have sailed over 70% around the world with a reliable couple of friends and a Garmin in reach ... turn off your plan when you arrive it’s very simple , I have now purchased an Iridium Go for my last bits from Jakarta to Seychelles then down the Mozambique Channel to SA and home to UK .... Garmin in reach would do you , a 2nd hand on eBay and turn off when finished and sell on again ....

steveeasy

Visit site
Good example of why, imho, a little ssb receiver should be well up the top ten must haves on an ocean cruising boat. When digital comms all goes wrong for whatever reason you can still get lots usable weather info just with a tablet/mobile phone needing very little power.
Absolutely. I'll be navigating in the main with my Garmin 128.easy to use and very good at what it does. chartplotter OK but can be unreliable. Think HF radio is fab. Currently watching pressure charts. Now I know why Biscay is so unpredictable. could be in for a trying time like it is.
Steveeasy

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
Absolutely. I'll be navigating in the main with my Garmin 128.easy to use and very good at what it does. chartplotter OK but can be unreliable. Think HF radio is fab. Currently watching pressure charts. Now I know why Biscay is so unpredictable. could be in for a trying time like it is.
Steveeasy
? Think all the miles I've sailed on my own boats (both of em) have been with a garmin128 onboard ?
No need for a chartplotter offshore. IMHO well offshore is a very different ballgame to coastal, more so solo. I find it's good to forget the course you plotted before setting off,, bin it, just go where the boat feels happiest. If it's 30deg to the left then so what, if straight towards the destination means getting slapped about with a cross swell and sails backing now and again then forget it, keep the boat calm and happy then you'll be happy, another half day or day out there is irrelevant pretty much :)
If you're getting into synoptics then the upper air charts can be useful, on the 500mB the lows tend to track a few hundred miles above the black line, much more going on but knowing that means a very quick click through can give a rough idea what's likely for the next week.
I've a cobbled together site with links > Euro Weather – My First website
And another handy site, average wind speed/direction per fortnight > DeepZoom Global Ocean Winds
Enjoy ?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
? Think all the miles I've sailed on my own boats (both of em) have been with a garmin128 onboard ?
No need for a chartplotter offshore. IMHO well offshore is a very different ballgame to coastal, more so solo. I find it's good to forget the course you plotted before setting off,, bin it, just go where the boat feels happiest. If it's 30deg to the left then so what, if straight towards the destination means getting slapped about with a cross swell and sails backing now and again then forget it, keep the boat calm and happy then you'll be happy, another half day or day out there is irrelevant pretty much :)
If you're getting into synoptics then the upper air charts can be useful, on the 500mB the lows tend to track a few hundred miles above the black line, much more going on but knowing that means a very quick click through can give a rough idea what's likely for the next week.
And another handy site, average wind speed/direction per fortnight > DeepZoom Global Ocean Winds
Enjoy ?
Totally agree. I set out for Charleston from Bermuda once but ended up in Virginia. Who cares? It was a much more comfortable sail than beating all the way to Charleston! On ocean passages I invariably set the boat on a course that’s vaguely in the right direction and correct by gybing etc later.

steveeasy

Visit site
Enjoy ?
HI,
absolutely, . If the wind and waves are strong ill be going in the most comfortable way, no point breaking anything. I dont think its fair to say im getting in to synoptics but once you start looking at pressure charts and trying to work out what is and what might transpire, and trying to consider potential routes, it becomes clearer what is going on and why.
Ill have a good look at the sites, Much appreciated.
Steveeasy

Reactions: GHA

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
Ok ive got hold of a Tecsun p880 and been playing around with it. Ive been seeing if I can pick up a signal and ive hunted high and low. Thing is im even struggling to pick up talk sport. Ive downloaded the Black Cat free trial in the hope ill find something to pick up. Any simple top tips perhaps.?
Thanks
Steveeasy

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Hi,
Ok ive got hold of a Tecsun p880 and been playing around with it. Ive been seeing if I can pick up a signal and ive hunted high and low. Thing is im even struggling to pick up talk sport. Ive downloaded the Black Cat free trial in the hope ill find something to pick up. Any simple top tips perhaps.?
Thanks
Steveeasy

You have a list of the frequency and the time schedule right?

You need to be away from interference and that realistically means going outside away from bluetooth and wifi and transformers. Get a long piece of wire with a crocodile clip on the end and clip it to the antenna and hoist it as high as possible.

Then wait for the broadcast. It should sound like the the one on here: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901

Use that link to test your software and then use the radio once you can get a picture from the online broadcast.

here is the schedule for dwd:
https://www.dwd.de/EN/specialusers/...9C568E1F.live21063?__blob=publicationFile&v=1

and here is a list with lots of sheds:
https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdf

if you tune 3854 upper side band right now (22:42 ) you will hear Hamburg loud and clear.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
1622326433007.png

Ive downloaded the blackcat app as above, but do I still need to use the SDRuno app as well. I thought i should be hearing a fax like noise,
Steveeasy

Black Sheep

Visit site
SDRuno is software for a Software Defined Radio - it sounds as though steveeasy has been experimenting with an SDR dongle as well.

Answer - no. If you're listening to the Tecsun, then you don't need the SDRuno software as well.

In fact to start with, you just need to get the Tecsun to pick up the station, so that you can hear the distinctive signal of a fax station. Not sure what that sounds like? Go here: WEFAX - Signal Identification Wiki scroll down to Northwood and play the samples.

All I can suggest is you follow Buck Turgidson's advice (#136). I'm not sure where you're based, but here in Kent I can pick up DWD (Offenbach/Pinneburg) on the frequencies in Buck's link; or Northwood at the times & frequencies here: https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/.../GMDSS/TerrestrialSystems/facsimile/1/GBR.pdf

Don't even think about using the Blackcat software until you can hear the sound of a fax signal coming through your radio speaker. Make sure you've got the radio switched to SSB (on Upper sideband). Get as much wire as high as possible. Only when you hear the distinctive chirrup should you get the BlackCat software running.

Let us know how you get on. If you're having difficulty picking up broadcast radio stations then the problem might be the receiver or antenna or maybe your location

Added: If you're on a limited free trial of Black Cat, try using the WebSDR link that Buck mentioned http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ - tune that to one of the DWD Pinneburg frequencies. You should hear the chirrup coming from your PC's speaker. Fire up Black Cat and let it listen to what's coming out the speaker. It should give you something that looks like a fax. It may not be perfect (there might be issues with signal syncronisation over the Internet link) but it might give you more confidence that there really is a fax image in there!

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
SDRuno is software for a Software Defined Radio - it sounds as though steveeasy has been experimenting with an SDR dongle as well.

Answer - no. If you're listening to the Tecsun, then you don't need the SDRuno software as well.

In fact to start with, you just need to get the Tecsun to pick up the station, so that you can hear the distinctive signal of a fax station. Not sure what that sounds like? Go here: WEFAX - Signal Identification Wiki scroll down to Northwood and play the samples.

All I can suggest is you follow Buck Turgidson's advice (#136). I'm not sure where you're based, but here in Kent I can pick up DWD (Offenbach/Pinneburg) on the frequencies in Buck's link; or Northwood at the times & frequencies here: https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/.../GMDSS/TerrestrialSystems/facsimile/1/GBR.pdf

Don't even think about using the Blackcat software until you can hear the sound of a fax signal coming through your radio speaker. Make sure you've got the radio switched to SSB (on Upper sideband). Get as much wire as high as possible. Only when you hear the distinctive chirrup should you get the BlackCat software running.

Let us know how you get on. If you're having difficulty picking up broadcast radio stations then the problem might be the receiver or antenna or maybe your location

Added: If you're on a limited free trial of Black Cat, try using the WebSDR link that Buck mentioned http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ - tune that to one of the DWD Pinneburg frequencies. You should hear the chirrup coming from your PC's speaker. Fire up Black Cat and let it listen to what's coming out the speaker. It should give you something that looks like a fax. It may not be perfect (there might be issues with signal syncronisation over the Internet link) but it might give you more confidence that there really is a fax image in there!

Great thanks. ill have a try later today and report back.
Thanks
Steveeasy