single handed to the Azores

steveeasy

Visit site
Not got target, I have this one: BT-3 Bluetooth Navtex receiver - Nasa Marine Instruments

So, the box drags in as many messages it can hear, and when you want to view the information you run an app which lists all meassages (up to a storage limit), or you can list by filter - eg. station ID, type of message etc. The NASA page gives a good indication of what you can expect from it. I like the ability to view the info on a tablet, and it means the 'box' can be mounted anywhere out of the way, making it easier to run cables and antenna.

Hi,
does it drag in the weatherfax forecasts as well or do i need to do something. also will it work with PC. like the idea it receves all the messages on its own.
Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Hi,
does it drag in the weatherfax forecasts as well or do i need to do something. also will it work with PC. like the idea it receves all the messages on its own.
Steveeasy

Steve weather fax and Navtex are two very different things from different sources dedicated Navtex receivers will not give you weather fax charts but a HF tuner is often able to receive Navtex.

Slowboat35

Visit site
When I did a Transatlantic (as makee-learnee crew) routing Gib - Azores - Bermuda - Connecticutt in 1985 our 'technology' was a sextant, Sony backpacker's world-band reciever and a cheap Russian stopwatch.

The Sony was the key, it accessed the HF bands that provided accurate time signals (for the cheapo stopwatch to mark soon thereafer at sight-time) and also picked up the oceanic voice forcasts.

That's all anyone had in 1986. Yet it seemed the mutt's nuts to be able to circumvent the tyranny of chronometers reliably - and to be able to hear forecasts, no matter how general and non-specific they were.

We get far too strung-up on the latest technology these days - it isn't necessary! Ten years before I did my trip thre were no Sony world-band recievers, But that didn't stop numerous people saikling the Atlantic without significant problems (probably in wooden boats with galvanised standing rigging, basic terylene hank-on sails and no dream of comms). They managed just fine. So will you!
This forum sees far too many utterly unquantifiable posts lazily asking about "The Best" - the "best boat", "best engine", "best route", "best way to tie a bowline", "best heads pump" fer Chrissakes!
Far too many people are far too taken up with what's 'best' that they've lost sight of what just works. I'm sure daily weather faxes and internet/email via Jeff Bezos is reassuring but it sure as hell isn't necessary....except for those to whom it is seems 'necessary'...
If it were how the digamma did Magellan, Columbus, Drake, Nelson, Slocombe, Sturdee, the Johnsons, Chichester or Hasler et. al. manage it?

Best is the enemy of Good Enough.

Planning an oceanic trip? Make it work - just make it work well with what you've got. There's no need at all for all this plethora of the ultimate technology if you've planned it right and have the skills to mange the trip. If there was none of us would have ever done such a trip - and people have been doing this route for thousands of years.

I'm not knocking technology in the least, just the idea that you can't do without it. ("Should I have an AIS Transponder in the Solent" for isntance.
Oh dear...)

A plethora of technology is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for planning and above all, ability. You cannot replace ability and skill with the latest technology.
If you're mithering about your ability to do the Azores without Iridium, internet and grib files I'd respectfully suggest your experience level just isn't up to the trip.

How the digamma did Bannister break the 4 minute mile or Tenzing & Hillary top Chomolungma in coton and tweed?

Because it was good enough!

Good enough....Good enough works. As long as it is combined with ability and stamina - neither of which are available from Amazon...

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
When I did a Transatlantic routing Gib - Azores - Bermuda - Connecticutt in 1985 our 'technology' was a sextant, Sony backpacker's world-band reciever and a cheap Russian stopwatch.

The Sony was the key, it accessed the HF bands that provided accurate time signals (for the cheapo stopwatch to mark soon thereafer at sight-time) and also picked up the oceanic voice forcasts.

That's all anyone had in 1986. Yet it seemed the mutt's nuts to be able to circumvent the tyranny of chronometers reliably - and to be able to hear forecasts, no matter how general and non-specific they were.

We get far too strung-up on the latest technology these days - it isn't necessary! Ten years before I did my trip thre were no Sony world-band recievers, But that disn't stop numnerous people saikling the Atlantic without significanT problems (probably in wooden boats with galvanised standing rigging, basic terylene hank-on sails and no dream of comms). They managed just fine.
Wer see far too many posts here asking about asking for the "best boat", "best engine", "best route", "best way to tie a bowline".
Far too many people are far too taken up with what's 'best' that they've lost sight of what works. I'm sure daily weather faxes and internet/email via Jeff Bezos is reassuring but it sure as hell isn't necessary....

Planning an oceanic trip? Make it work - just make it work well, there's no need at all for all this plethora of technology if you've planned it right and have the skills to mange the trip.

A plethora of technology is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for planning and above all, ability. You cannot replace ability and skill with the latest electrickery.
Bravo!

PhillM

Visit site
Hi Steveasy, I did the Jester Azores Challenge in 2008. In a fleet of over 42 starters I think it was, I believe I was one of only two that carried satellite equipment. I didn't use it for weather info at all, not once. The Jester ethos was, and still is, be prepared for anything. In reality, Jester boats are too slow to avoid weather systems, so concentrate on making absolutely sure that both you and the boat are completely ready. The most powerful analogy ever shared with me was that of a cork in the biggest sea you can imagine. A good cork will always float. Have a great trip :).

I should perhaps add that I have recently bought an Iridium Go in preparation for the RWYC RB&I next year .................... in a bigger boat :).
I’ve backed out of the current jesters because my wooden hull was not up to it. Be realistic, and you’ll be fine. I’ll be back.

steveeasy

Visit site
When I did a Transatlantic routing Gib - Azores - Bermuda - Connecticutt in 1985 our 'technology' was a sextant, Sony backpacker's world-band reciever and a cheap Russian stopwatch.

We get far too strung-up on the latest technology these days - it isn't necessary! Ten years before I did my trip thre were no Sony world-band recievers, But that didn't stop numerous people saikling the Atlantic without significant problems (probably in wooden boats with galvanised standing rigging, basic terylene hank-on sails and no dream of comms). They managed just fine. So will you!
Wer see far too many posts here asking about asking for the "best boat", "best engine", "best route", "best way to tie a bowline".
Far too many people are far too taken up with what's 'best' that they've lost sight of what works. I'm sure daily weather faxes and internet/email via Jeff Bezos is reassuring but it sure as hell isn't necessary....

Planning an oceanic trip? Make it work - just make it work well with what yu've got. There's no need at all for all this plethora of technology if you've planned it right and have the skills to mange the trip. If there were none of us would have ever done such a trip - and people have been doing this route for thousands of years.

A plethora of technology is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for planning and above all, ability. You cannot replace ability and skill with the latest technology.

How the digamma did Bannister break the 4 minute mile or Tenzing & Hillary top Chomolungma in coton and tweed?

Because it was good enough!

Good enough....

Good points. Oh ill be fine thats for sure. but ill have my HF radio on and my AIS working, Just to make things a little more relaxing!!!!!!

Steveeasy

:)

Last edited:

TiggerToo

Visit site
Add this too
Nasa HF Active Antenna with Cable (010.030)

Cactus Navigation & Communication
?

I have been following this thread with great interest, and looking at the NASA kit you describe here. In the manual, they refer to "earthing" the instrument. How do you achieve that on a boat?

Also, in this "Active Antenna" a replacement of using, let's say, the backstay as an aerial - or is it additional to it?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I have been following this thread with great interest, and looking at the NASA kit you describe here. In the manual, they refer to "earthing" the instrument. How do you achieve that on a boat?

Also, in this "Active Antenna" a replacement of using, let's say, the backstay as an aerial - or is it additional to it?
RF wise, 'earth' on a boat means the surrounding sea! A good low impedance connection to the sea via the keel or a sintered bronze plate achieves a good 'earth'.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
For reception yes which is less sensitive than transmission although connection to a metal keel via heel bolts should work for both but anode is iffy.

Surface area is key. On my last boat with encapsulated keel I lined the inside of the quarter berth with copper strip which I then connected to a sintered bronze plate outside the boat. I had no problems either transmitting or receiving using an insulated backstay as aerial. Although that is over the top for a simple receiving setup.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
so, a cable connected to the keel bolts or the anode bolts would work?
Yes. Very much. Some people might put a DC isolator in series with the connection. (some low impedance capacitors to ensure you don't start any problems with stray currents from the DC side of the boat which will be connected to the 'ground' connection of the radio.

Edit: Sorry, I took such a long time to reply, Hackett replied first. Agree with what he says that an anode is not ideal. It'll work for receiving perfectly well probably, but I still think some DC blocking capacitor would be a good idea. 0.1uF disc etc will be fine.

GHA

Visit site

For WFAX receive just get some wire in the air, no need spending money. Croc clip onto a shroud will likely be more than ample. Much as I like Nasa their RF kit is really not their finest offerings. Get a little ssb receiver from Sony or similar. Far better imho. I've cruised with a Nasa HF & Degen 1103, degen was centuries ahead. Gave away the Nasa to an impoverished cruiser with nothing.

Last edited:

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk

I had no earth and no problem for just reception?.

The active antenna I got second hand with the receiver. When testing on land, a piece of wire worked just as well but I didn't fancy lengths of wire swinging about. Never thought of clipping it to the stay!

Just to show how incompetent I was then I wired them reverse polarity. Burning smell! A friend took them to pieces and soldered new bits in. Then, on testing with his fancy transmitter, we chose an harmonic of the frequency pc monitors use; we managed to upset every monitor in the office building!

But very successful on the Atlantic.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
As I've been chatting with the OP via inbox I thought I would share this with the thread. This is a portable world band receiver and iPad using no line in just the iPad built in mic. Blackcat sowftware. circa 2013?. Halfway between the Algarve and Azores.

steveeasy

Visit site
As I've been chatting with the OP via inbox I thought I would share this with the thread. This is a portable world band receiver and iPad using no line in just the iPad built in mic. Blackcat sowftware. circa 2013?. Halfway between the Algarve and Azores.
It would have been much more entertaining if you had shared the first clip rather than this one. :D
Steveeasy

Pye_End

Visit site

Similar to my experience in post 75 - the results I have got from such a set-up have been the most consistent results I have tried compared with various forms of laptop software. So simple to set up. It has a couple of advantages - low power, and less electronic noise to interfere with the signal. For Android I have HF Weather Fax and DroidNavtex, using a Sony SSB receiver. No doubt Apple have similar.