Single handed sailing

airborne1

Visit site
Although not directly related to the Jester Challenge at the moment it will, hopefully, become relevant later.
Can any one suggest good (read relevant) reading about single-handed sailing, outfitting, storing, etc, especially over long distances.
I will soon start to sail my refurbished 25 ft boat and would appreciate learning about techniques for this type of sailing.
2nd question-if participating in the Jester Challenge, do small boats of the 25 ft class bother to carry communications gear and if so what type ?? SSB or Sat-phones, etc

Noddy

Visit site
Richard Henderson's Singlehanded Sailing is OK.

I should look on Amazon

At the moment my plans for communication gear are: VHF, EPIRB and a mobile phone for the first few miles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Moitessier, Asler and Chichester remain good references. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
On Jeterinfo.org you have a great selection and you may order directly on Amazone. You pay the same price but a part of the monney will be returned for Jester's events organisation.

http://www.jesterinfo.org/

Long distance single handed sailing is mainly not a technical issue. It's more a spychological one. Some persons are happy alone in the middle of no where at infinite sailing time to anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
When it is the case it is a great feeling and it becomes almost a hard drogue. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
"normal" persons are frighten, lost... sorry I am not competent. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
They will nether try again.
If you project to try long haul single handed the answer is almost already there!
Just try on an easy navigation without oilrigs, wessel tracks... sleep, keep the watch, and anticipate as much as possible and enjoy it.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Single handed sailing is much much easier offshore. You have time, deep water and almost no trafic.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

andlauer

Visit site
participating in the Jester Challenge, do small boats of the 25 ft class bother to carry communications gear
--------
Bonjour
Jester Challenge is a no rule race. Just do it as you feel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Some have no communication at all, others have VHF, EPIRB is a good minimum, I have lots (familly obligations) of communication means (Iridium + tracker + email)... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Blondy Asler wrote something about "sinking like a gentleman !"

The notion of class doesn't exist in Jester Challenge : we are a bench of challengers. No need to split ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eric

airborne1

Visit site
Thanks for all the feed back on the Jester Challenge. Hopefully I will be ready to enter the 2010 event. The reason I asked for suitable books is that so far I have been sailing multi-handed and wanted to find out how to sail single handed now that I almost have the boat restored.
Thanks Noddy for the book reference. Tried Amoazon and found a book called "Single Handed Sailing by Frank Mulville with some good reviews and have ordered it. Couldn't find one by Richard Henderson but will look out for it.
I understand that the mind-set is more improtant that the technique but its still interesting to read a good book.
Hope to see you all for the 2010 JC

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can any one suggest good (read relevant) reading about single-handed sailing, outfitting, storing, etc, especially over long distances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moitessier's books especially - A Sea Vagabond's World. He's still the daddy for me.

airborne1

Visit site
Noddy, thanks for your question on the Azores JC. As I understand it, the Azores is 2008 and I doubt I and the boat would be ready in all respects for that type of trip. So will probably come to the start (Plymouth ??) and try to sneak some ideas so that I will be ready for the 2010 (Plymouth to the Antilles ??)
If I tell enough folk I am going to do a JC then I will no excuse for not going Lol
If you are going to the Azores I might look you up for a chat and pint, if you don't mind

Noddy

Visit site
Look forward to meeting you.

I too am telling people about the JC. They all look impressed. Guess I'll have to do it now.

Ready? I can't imagine me being ready. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PS: to get the info on JC go to www.jesterinfo.org

Paul

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
You will never be ready ! That is why a date must be setted in a way or another !
Anyway what is not on board or what is already out of order will not fail ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eric