single handed as a feeling

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Lets be no technical: sailing is pleasure! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The feeling I have when behing offshore single handed is freedom.
To be free from social constrainsts,
free from the space,
and, last but not the least, free from the time. A great and rare feeling !

The best example I have found is in a book from JF Deniau "la terre est ronde". I don't have the English tittle. He was not a single hand sailor but an offshore sailor.
He had the genious idea to incorporate into a sailing book about offshore sailing a chapter from Soljenitsyne about the sunday inside the Goulag. The doors were closed and nothing could come from outside before monday.
For me, offshore single handed is that feeling but without the inside of the building (crew...). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Others feelings ?

Superflid

Visit site
I'm hardly an expert on the subject, no single-handed sailing at all yet (although I have an old 27ft wooden fishing boat which I take out alone), only been sailing for a year or so.....

I came to boats when my arthritis meant that I could no longer spend time in the mountains. I see the same attractions in single-handed sailing as I saw in solo climbing.

My best days were spent alone, so much so that on a route which took in all the 3000ft hills in Wales I turned back from the actual summit of Tryfan as there were too many people there! I went back at 3.30am to get the mountain to myself!

Avoiding people became part of my climbing, searching out deserted places.

Really looking forward to getting my Coromandel on the water and, despite many generous offers of help, doing it alone.......

GypsyMan

Visit site
Re: That single-handed feeling

Freedom - yes, but also the wonderful adrenaline rush of having the ultimate responsibility for the risks associated with you and your boat.

"The greater the risk the greater the reward."

Mike

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk

I agree with Tommyrot - as the poor old planet gets increasingly crowded I think we are all beginning to suffer from people fatigue. I've often returned to scenic places when the crowds have gone home, and just savoured the peace. Fortunately, the sea can still scatter a huge fleet out of sight surprisingly quickly, so the 55 or so Jesters will soon be alone out there.

I like to turn off the radio, and let the whole world go to rack and ruin in my absence. No newspapers, no problems I can't solve (like Iraq) - just the open sea, the huge sky ( love stargazing at night away from city light pollution) and total reliance on myself and the boat.

Longest solo so far has been just three days, but loved it all.

It's more than sailing - it's therapy.

Jake

Noddy

Visit site

I do most of my sailing in the Thames Estuary and do not, as yet, have any ocean experience.

I grew up reading Chichester, Rose etc.

Currently I am able to lose myself in the swatchways etc and find it very therapeutic. I seem to need about 4 days on my own, once or twice per year. After 4 days I get a definite feeling that I'm OK now and head back in. This is very important to me.

The time period fits in with a long weekend and a bit of skiving off work.

I am really looking forward to some serious ocean sailing. I appreciate it will be very different from the kind of sailing I currently do. Can't Wait!

In fact, if my boss gets any more /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I might just go anyway!

Good thread Eric!

andlauer

Visit site

Bonjour
For me, three days is the time needed to quit. To get off the traffic, off the shallow water and off the proximity of land. I must also take the rythm and get in osmosis with the boat. Only then, I realy feel on my way, offshore and relax.
Eric

graham

Visit site

Helo Noddy I get away on my own for a few days usually about once a month. Without that I would go mad for sure. Its amazing how the world looks different when you come back.

Never done an ocean passage ,not really felt the need.

I am lucky to have an understanding wife.