SimpleSailor website

G

Dunno whether the current access problem is a server bandwidth restriction or whether Roger has pulled the plug pro tempus ...

The problem is/was that Roger is new to website creation and some of his webpages consist of a dozen or so bitmap graphics, some as big as 7Mb (each) - which made life a tad tough for anyone on dial-up, as well as ramping-up the bandwidth useage of the site. (Bloody good pictures, by the way)
I emailed Roger a few days back to advise him of the dial-up loading time, and he'll address the problem of 'mega-graphics' just as soon as he returns.

'best
Colin

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi John

I think Rogers pictures are too big, as even on broadband they take a while to load ( and there are quite a few of them - many awe-inspiring, I hasten to add. Ming Ming shown as an honorary whale in a pod of 20 or so makes me glad I've strenghtened the hull.) But, alas, if you are on an ordinary dial-up line, you won't have a prayer.

Roger may need to reload all the pix at a far lower res for general consumption, rather than the spoilt few who have fast Macs! So if you're reading this, Roger, have words with your site manager.

However, it's a great site, and well worth the loading time!

srp

Visit site
In the meantime, while we're all waiting for Roger's site to come back, there is a small sample of Rogers content here . And a fair bit about Jake + Pod. And Jonny Moore as well, who did the Cornish Cape Horn this summer. Links on the left to take you to the JAC and Jonny Moore pages. I'm sure you'll find it interesting enough to excuse this shameless plug.
Steve

JunkMing

Visit site
Thanks for all your helpful and supportive advice and comments. I'm on a learning curve steeper than the gradients I've been struggling up in the Swiss Alps for the last week. Until a few days ago I thought a megabyte was what you took out of your girlfriend's choc ice if she was foolish enough to offer it to you...

Anyway, I've given the site a good going over, and with my very limited technology and knowledge have, I think, speeded it up considerably. It should be virtually instantaneous on broadband. As for dial-up, I really don't know whether it's at an acceptable speed. No doubt I'll soon be told if it isn't.

I also have no idea whether it will last the month out without demands for more money from my friendly web host. In the few weeks it was running in September the site had 5273 hits - about 5270 more than anticipated. In my ignorance I had not realised that 'bandwidth' is a function of the number of hits, as well as the size of the files on the site. Hence my running out of credit, as it were, with the web host, and their sending in of the bailiffs.

Thanks for your patience, and hope you enjoy the revitalised site.

Roger

srp

Visit site
Oh dear - sorry about that. I've just fixed it, and I've checked all the other links and they're ok. There's nothing worse than broken links - very shoddy. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.