Silva S15 MMSI reset

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
Hi,
I know its possible to reset (as I have done it once before) and put the instructions on how to do it safely.... um very safely somewhere. Well, now want to put the radio on another boat and can't remember what buttons to press on power up (think that was how ) Can anyone help

PS would suggest PM them as could also be used for less 'honest' purposes.

Tranona

Visit site
Having just junked an S15 because the radio failed and there are no spares, I am just about to ditch the manual. However it is of no help as on p25 it just says return to a dealer to erase the number!

boatingworld2004

Visit site
I have a S10 and have done this PM me if you want to know the details. Also mine keeps forgetting it's number everytime it powers up and more alarming you enter the number and the unit look like it functions Ok but does not receive any transmissions! Reboot and all OK
My dad also had loada of hassle with a silva DSC unit
I think i might be getting another one from someone else!

Cheers

chriscallender

Visit site
Hi

Off topic I know, but out of interest, how did your S15 fail? On my last trip, mine went faulty too (I think). It seems that the TX works absolutely fine but the RX is completely desensitised (need to turn the squelch right down, and even then can only receive very strong stations).

When trying to debug the problem I managed to get a "loud and clear" response from CG, but they sure as hell weren't load and clear at my end. I tried my emergency antenna/cable with the same results so I'm fairly convinced now its the S15 itself. If I found another one had failed in the same way, I'd be even more convinced that it was the radio itself I needed to bin.

Chris

mitchc

Visit site
I've been through 3 s10's and two s15's (free upgrade from Silva!) each one failed for diferent reasons; failing to transmit/receive, no display, recall, no position update. Current one is about to be sent back! I've got a letter from them telling me they will pay the difference for me to change to a different brand (I**m).
In my opinion throw it away and buy something else.

FYI radio is fitted to an open 6 mtr rib that is kept ashore in a dry barn when not in use. I always carry a h/h vhf so never had any dramas when it failed but things could have been different.

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
A big thanks to all who pmd me with the 'secret' method (involves chanting colregs backwards at midnight etc.... all very hush hush ) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and the other posts regarding the Silva /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The radio now has the correct MMSI programmed into its memory and is all ready to go onboard - well with the weather at least it's a job that can be done in the dry!

I have been horrified at the number of posts and pms received that have reported their bad experiences with the Silva - mine is on her thrid boat (used on first, on second boat got very little use due to various reasons and now onto her third) hopefully to keep going strong ... but an going to now keep the old non DSC radio as a 'live' backup (still fitted /wired) with an antenna changeover switch (if I forget which way switched -well careful labelling is the key ) but at least a full backup after hearing the horror stories.

Thanks again all - better get some work done and start using the company resources for something else (less enjoyable)

Cheers all, appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
Hi, reading through the threads, you're the person who may be able to help me, I have a new S10 and have managed to set my mmsi number to 000000001, yes stupid of me I know. I have my registered number, how do I reset it and put the boats mmsi number in? any help would be great. Cheers Trevor "Dignity" Tollesbury Yacht harbour.

mhouse

Visit site
Mines working fine except it wont make DSC calls!!!
It will accept them allow me to send but they are not transmitted. It may be worth a test to the coast guard at the beginning of the season.

TonyMiles

N/A
Visit site
many thanks, all reset. A happy wee man 'am I. I really need to read manuals properly, infact I really need to read manuals! Thanks again Trevor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you still got the info on reprogramming the Silva S15 VHF?

I have tried the links mentioned on the forum but they appear to be now dead!!

Thanks, Tony

FullCircle

Visit site
Have you still got the info on reprogramming the Silva S15 VHF?

I have tried the links mentioned on the forum but they appear to be now dead!!

Thanks, Tony

HOW TO RE ENTER THE MMSI, SELECT CHANNEL SETS, PRIVATE CHANNELS AND CLEAR THE MEMORY ON A SILVA S15 VHF RADIO.

1). Press "PTT" and "CH16" key and hold, turn on the S15 .

1). To enter the system setup mode. Input password "198008" and press enter.

3). To change the MMSI use < or > key on fist mike to select 'MMSI SET' then press enter. Use the numeric keypad to enter new MMSI then press enter.

4). In the system setup mode, use < or > key to select "CHANNEL SECTION" form menu and press "ENT" to accept.

5). In this case, use < or > key to select a International UK, USA or Canadian channel set and press "ENT" to accept.

6). M1 & M2 channels are included in the 'K' (UK) channel set.

7). To Clear the memory use < or > to select 'clear memory' press ENTER key. The unit will then ask you to confirm. For YES press ENTER for NO press CLEAR.

8). To add private channels (some early models do not have this facility) use < or > key to select 'PRIVATE CHANNELS' press 'ENTER'. Enter private channel (00 – 159) on P0 then press 'ENTER'.
Use up arrow to select channel P1 then enter 2nd private channel (if required) then press 'ENTER' again. Return to menu and select EXIT as described in (9) below.

9). Select "EXIT" in the menu and press "ENT" to exit system setup mode and restart the S15 device.

FullCircle

Visit site
From my experience of a Silva VHF the best way to reset it is in a rubbish bag with a brick, chuck it over the side, and buy a Standard Horizon.

I have had a fault free Silva S15 with Navtex for 5 years.......

....but I have just swapped it out for a Standard Horizon GX3000 with a Fog Horn.:D