Silly question re use of towpaths

Golden Boy

Visit site
The Godalming tourist horse drawn 70 footer still operates, Co

Copied from another river group. Posted on the 27th Aug.

The Godalming Packetboat Co gives the reasons for the sale of the IONA on their Facebook page. "Iona" leaving the River Wey.
It is with great sadness that we have decided that "Iona" will leave the River Wey after 33 years of owning her.
All passenger boats can only operate under Maritime & Coastguard Agency rules and we have come to the conclusion with my experience that unfortunately the River Wey is no longer a safe environment to run a horse drawn boat.
There are now an unprecedented number of unlicensed paddle boards and inflatables with inexperienced people on them this is just an accident waiting to happen, when trying to dodge them with 17 tons of narrowboat that does not stop on a sixpence.
The towpath is very narrow with high undergrowth on both sides, and it is getting increasingly difficult to get the National Trust to do anything about it. With large numbers of speeding bikes, runners, dogs off leads and people with pushchairs, we are also suffering a fair bit of verbal abuse, the towpath has become totally unusable for a horse.
It is the end of an era and a sad loss to Godalming as there are now only 3 horsedrawn boats left in UK.
"Iona" is going to Tiverton to carry on being used as a horse drawn boat for the Tiverton Canal Co

PeterWright

Visit site
Well, not such a silly question after all, thanks for asking it. I learnsd a lot reading through this and was left wondering why the authorities are not called upon to enforce Section 62 of the general byelaws quoted by Crusty to get the cyclists off the towpath and require riparian owners to clear the towpaths for their intended purpose.

The only bit I know about tow paths is that Kings College Cambridge refused to allow avtow path where the River Cam crosses their grounds so, as a compromise, a hard gravel path was built along the middle of the river bed for the horses to wade along - it's still there as any punter will tell you, and makes for much faster driving as you don't have to pull the pole out of the mud at the end of each stroke. Can't say I've ever seen a horse wading along it though.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Well, not such a silly question after all, thanks for asking it. I learnsd a lot reading through this and was left wondering why the authorities are not called upon to enforce Section 62 of the general byelaws quoted by Crusty to get the cyclists off the towpath and require riparian owners to clear the towpaths for their intended purpose.

Short answer is, there are too few enforcement staff and the offences are minor. Bikes may use the towpath provided they do no damage. Riparian owners rarely meet their responsibilities. The Thames is not on HMG's list of priorities despite the PM being a former riparian MP.

penberth3

Visit site
…..The only bit I know about tow paths is that Kings College Cambridge refused to allow avtow path where the River Cam crosses their grounds so, as a compromise, a hard gravel path was built along the middle of the river bed for the horses to wade along - it's still there as any punter will tell you, and makes for much faster driving as you don't have to pull the pole out of the mud at the end of each stroke. Can't say I've ever seen a horse wading along it though....

Hmm, I can't imagine an experienced working horse agreeing to this cunning plan. I think there would be a few "refusals".

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The Thames is not on HMG's list of priorities despite the PM being a former riparian MP.

I remember Johnson at the Henley festival about 12 years ago. He was the Henley MP at the time I think he replaced Hesletine.

He was able to make people laugh by doing quips which were not at all funny.

It's very worrying that he did end up being prime minister. It's not a job he is suited to at all.

I'm apolitical so not worried at all about who is in power but its very odd that such an incompetent individual would be prime minister. Something wrong here methinks.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I remember Johnson at the Henley festival about 12 years ago. He was the Henley MP at the time I think he replaced Hesletine.

He was able to make people laugh by doing quips which were not at all funny.

It's very worrying that he did end up being prime minister. It's not a job he is suited to at all.

I'm apolitical so not worried at all about who is in power but its very odd that such an incompetent individual would be prime minister. Something wrong here methinks.

Nearly 20 years ago, I saw BJ at HRR afloat in an amphibious car, waving at the crowds like he was demented. Few regatta folk knew who he was then. I guess that's changed.