Sikaflex shelf life

Visit site
Hi all

This months PBO suggested extending the life of an opened Sika tube by placing a piece of film over the opening before screwing the spout back on.

I seem to recall (a long time ago) someone about these parts also suggested that sticking it in the freezer would do the same job; does anyone know if this is true? I'm fed-up with throwing away more than I use!

Cheers

Mark

Feedman

Visit site
No, can't say I know if the freezer tip works, but the film-over-the-tube exit does ... just don't forget the messy bit of emptying the nozzle before screwing it back onto the tube, over the film!:rolleyes:

TradewindSailor

Visit site
Freezer definitely works. I keep the Sikaflex and 3M 3200 next to the Freezer cold plate which gets down to -25 deg C. I've never had one go hard, but they are never more than 18 months old either.

Do expect a little oozing of sealant as the tube warms up though.

Visit site
Great, thanks guys; I might well try a combined approach then hopefully loooong life with little or no oozing!

Now getting excited about the money I'll be saving!

Cheers

Mark

Lakesailor

Visit site
I've found those smaller Sikaflex tubes to be much better at keeping.
I have one in my kitchen now that is nearly empty and is still soft after being opened for 5 months.

Dipper

Visit site
Hi all

This months PBO suggested extending the life of an opened Sika tube by placing a piece of film over the opening before screwing the spout back on.

I seem to recall (a long time ago) someone about these parts also suggested that sticking it in the freezer would do the same job; does anyone know if this is true? I'm fed-up with throwing away more than I use!

Cheers

Mark

I've just been using a small tube of Sikaflex that I opened a year ago. It's been kept in the freezer with a thin plastic bag screwed between the tube and the nozzle. I keep all my sealants in the freezer which is one of the excellent tips I have picked up from this forum over the years. I got moaned at this evening when SWMBO came across them. :eek:

TamarMike

Visit site
As I was fed up with throwing away the remains of Sikaflex tubes I bought a small Flexible tube of Sikaflex (like a big toothpaste tube) which came sealed in plastic on a bit of card. When I came to use it the thread on the nozzle included was bigger than that on the tube, I first thought perhaps I had damged the end of the tube but no the sealing cap was still a tight fit. Not impressed with all the stuff which ended up over my fingers even though it did do the job:mad:

Having read this thread next time I think I will get a proper tube and take care to preserve it.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Another way to stop it going off is to store it in an airtight container containing active silica gel; no moisture, no cure, plus it's ready to use rather than being very viscous because it's at -25 degC.

Graham

John_Clarke

Visit site
Another way to stop it going off is to store it in an airtight container containing active silica gel; no moisture, no cure, plus it's ready to use rather than being very viscous because it's at -25 degC.

Graham

I can second this method. It works very well. I use a large BDS container which holds a part used tube of silicone, one of Sikaflex and an unopened tube of each when running low. All fresh and ready to use. If unused for a long while I may have to clear out the nozzle on the Sikaflex tube.

jeremyshaw

Visit site
Film over the body opening does help, but it needs to be a proper barrier. I use things like crisp packets which are foil based, and this helps to slow the rate of decay.

It annoys me that sometimes you buy Sikaflex or 3M sealants which are already past their best - but you don't find out until three ports away. Anyone know how to decode the batch numbering to get the dates I wonder?

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I use 20 to 40 600 Ml sausages a month and as soon as it's delivered I stick in an old bar fridge in the shed, the stuff at the back is well over 6 months old and still good.

Moisture/humidity inside a fridge is very low and it needs moisture to cure, so keeping it refrigerated will help.

Avagoodweekend......:)