Sigma 33 as a first boat?

G

I am considering buying an early '80s Sigma 33 and would be very grateful to get views on its suitability as a cruising boat for a young(ish) family. What are the good points, bad points etc? Are there any other sources of information?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers

Richard

G

Although designed as a one-design class racing yacht, the Sigma is easily handled and well laid out for family cruising. When the class was strong, some top class racers took part and competition was very keen. As a result many older Sigmas have been heavily abused in the interest of performance. In particular, backstays were wound in bar taut to the point of bending the hull.

I would not discourage a first timer from choosing a Sigma but I would encourage him to get a good and thorough survey and take head of the results. Be causeof know problems and because the class is not as popular as it was, Sigma 33s can be bought for sensible money.

G

Thanks James,

The boat I am looking at is the 33C crusing version, with a masthead rig and shallower, longer keel. I hope this will mitigate against some of the issues that you raised. I will certainly get a thorough survey though.

Cheers

Richard

G

This is not a boat for "young" families, unless there is someone with good experience on board. How "young", what experience & where will it be sailed. Just imagine this older design of offshore racing boat with a crew young children in a blow trying to reef!!

G

Reefing a Sigma

I must have missed something here.

Apparently a Sigma 33 either can't stand up to it's canvas too well, or is unusually difficult to reef, or both.

I don't think.

Go for it, a fine choice which I considered closely but was perhaps overly wary of the points J J raised. The 33 was high on my list.

The 'C' version has a smaller sail plan which I saw as a disadvantage. If you have extra canvas, you can always change down a gear, but once it's all up, it's all up.

G

\"older design of offshore racing boat\"

Alternatively you could look at something like a Nicholson 35.

Powerful, safe, seakindly passagemaker. Ab-so-lutely perfect for cruising with a family if rigged sympathetically (easily achieved).

Or perhaps a more modern 'volume' (I mean internal) design. Bouncy ride, loads of space for loose crew to gather speed unchecked below, scanty fittings, totaly unsuited to off-shore conditions, perfect in a marina.

G

Just a thought

I don't know where you are located but I have some very good friends selling their Sigma 33 in North Wales. Its in fantastic condition, it is not a "C" version but its been very lightly raced - never in their ownership. At present its based on Anglesea, with a very recent survey (6 months ago?) e:mail me at cdp@antrakgroup.com and I can put you in touch. They looked at one hell of a lot of Sigmas before finding this one, which I would say from my entirely biased position is a "find".
In any case good luck.

G

Re: \"older design of offshore racing boat\"

If you've got a young family a modern boat suitable for marinas might be just the job. The Nick35 might be all you say, and more, but it sounds like the sort of boat that's at its best on longer passages. Since most family sailing is short hops to stop the kids getting bored then a modern boat might be just the ticket.

I'm a bit baffled by the reefing arrangements on the Sigma. Has it got some sort of wierd riefing system I haven't heard of ? Regardless of what it is. it can surely be converted to the latest trend of single line reefing, lazy jacks, etc.

My own tuppence worth on ths subject of "family
cruising" after 20 odd years of sailing with my offspring is that if you are enthusiastic about a boat, no matter what type it is, then it tends to rub off on them, and they'll feel secure and relaxed in the boat. When they are very young , you need one hand for the boat and one for them, but with modern sail handling and modern electronics, that's easily achieved on almost any boat.

I apologise for the length of this so if you're still reading it , I'll sum up by saying that I think most modern cruisers will make "family cruising" boats for you're average type of sailing - it's more a matter of getting the boat the way you want it and the whole crew feeling comfortable with it. Mind you if you're kids are a bit nervous about sailing then no matter what you buy won't make that much diference to how they feel.

G

Go for it
Great boat, responsive, light, can take the knocks, not too large and bouncy but roomy enough for a family ( 6 big blokes can race it for a weekend so a family should be fine )
Reefing, well spend a little to convert to single line and you are ok.
Sail handling - fit lazyjacks and roller furling ( if not fitted already ) - as you will sail with your family I presume you would not go too far away from a safe haven without a good weather forecast/extra experienced hands on board.

Only bad point in my opinion, traveller across the cockpit breaks up the space and can be tripped over, little hands rested on etc I always end up with bruises on the shins when I race one - might be worth chartering one for the weekend with the family to see how they get on ( see classifieds on YM for a guy who has 3 to charter cheaply).

Finally, as an alternative, have you considered a Westerly Fulmar - a bit more expensive but less "race abused" but pretty quick in the right hands

Best of luck

richardr

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Is sounds like the Sigma is a good choice, provided I spend some money on sail handling gear.

Happy sailing