Shrimpy - what’s all the fuss about.

Mataji

Visit site
Why have copies of Shrimpy always been so expensive on the second hand market. I have just reread it and while it is a fairly good read it is more of a travelogue than an interesting sailing book. Certainly not worth the fantastic prices it goes for, especially as it’s available for free on line.
I’m not knocking Shane Acton’s achievement in any way, just that I’ve read many accounts of sailing voyages which have been a lot more informative and enjoyable and available at reasonable cost.

doug748

Visit site
I think it made the impossible seem attainable. Like the Dyes in a Wayfarer, we think: 'They did it - so could I'. Of course we couldn't but the dream was still in a back cupboard of the brain. It also helps in being one of the first and, for a period, the book was also difficult to get hold of.
I enjoyed it when I read it back in the day but don't know what I would feel now.

Some of the prices seem highly speculative! This seems ok for a signed copy:

Shrimpy, a Record Round-the-World Voyage in an 18-Foot Yacht by ACTON, Shane: HARDCOVER (1981) 1st edition., Signed by Author(s) | COLLINS BOOKS

Pete7

Visit site
Folk could buy Tulip bulbs instead.

Alternatively you could put £83 in the bank and it would earn? or buy something to read and treasure?

Here is another one. I read a library copy in 1999 whilst working away. Deciding I wanted my own copy I started looking around and couldn't afford it. Out of print but a fascinating read of real experiments on volunteers to find the limits of breathing pure oxygen underwater. That work and knowledge lead to a much greater knowledge for commercial and sports divers alike today.

Oxygen and the Diver: Amazon.co.uk: Donald, Kenneth: 9781854211767: Books

I gave away my copy of Shrimpy years ago :unsure: