Should I worry about the colour of my seacocks?

Poey50

Visit site
Blakes heads seacocks.jpg

For those of you who know about seacocks can you cast your experienced eyes over these? Should I be concerned about the pinkness? Anything else I should do to check if these are still OK?

Heckler

Visit site
View attachment 61612

For those of you who know about seacocks can you cast your experienced eyes over these? Should I be concerned about the pinkness? Anything else I should do to check if these are still OK?
Vics has got it, Ive changed a couple, just out of curiosity I cut through them, the pink was only skin deep, although I did have a hose tail break once where the barbed bit was wafer thin and the pink went right through the wafer thin bit.
Stu

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
That colour is absolutely standard for these seacocks, which I would guess is DZR brass. The colour of dezincified brass is a lot more red than that. You can sometimes find that there is a tiny bit of crumbly brass right at the edge of the port in the cone, filing this off should show you any significant attack. As VicS says (thanks), lots of examples on my website.

D

Deleted member 36384

Agree with the other comments. I serviced all of my Blakes Seacocks just before launch late summer this year. Some were pink after cleaning, some were not, all went to a more yellow colour after lapping. My seacocks got wet for the first time 42 years ago and all are original.

Before Lapping

31639765086_b130fcb001_k.jpg

After Lapping

31304260120_8477c49433_k.jpg

Images Hosted on Flickr

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I serviced all of my Blakes Seacocks just before launch late summer this year. Some were pink after cleaning, some were not, all went to a more yellow colour after lapping. My seacocks got wet for the first time 42 years ago and all are original.

Before Lapping

31639765086_b130fcb001_k.jpg

After Lapping

31304260120_8477c49433_k.jpg

Images Hosted on Flickr

Those photos are near identical to what I had before and after lapping my (somewhat younger, but far from new) Blakes seacocks.

MM5AHO

Visit site
Mine are same age as Blowing old boots, and look about the same too before and after lapping. I use automotive valve grinding paste, then wipe well then rinse well after that.

Tranona

Visit site
The surface dezincification may be characteristic of DZR brass.

No. Happens with Bronze as well. Got the same on my 1963 Rowe seacocks (similar design to Blakes. Lapping in removes it, so just surface discolouration.

Moonbeam

Visit site
View attachment 61612

Is the lower seacock handle in the picture meant to be that shape or has someone gorilla'd it due to seizing? I know I've been guilty of putting a bit of 'shape' into mine before realising it's time to service them!

Poey50

Visit site
Is the lower seacock handle in the picture meant to be that shape or has someone gorilla'd it due to seizing? I know I've been guilty of putting a bit of 'shape' into mine before realising it's time to service them!

It's the inlet for the heads and in a bit of a cramped spot so someone bent the handle to make it fit better. Not a problem.

Tim O

Visit site
;);)When it comes to boats I have a blanket policy of worrying about everything.....it saves having to make decisions! ;)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If you are worried about them then change them, simple.

Changed all the sea cocks in my last boat and it was not that expensive and very easy to do.

Current boat has plastic sea cocks, which will have their own problems, but I prefer them.

Other threads that may be of interest