Shotley charging for dinghies

Debennut

Visit site
I see on their website, that Shotley intend to start registering and charging for dinghies on their site, with effect from the 1st January.
What is the situation at other East Coast Marinas? If so, what do they charge?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I see on their website, that Shotley intend to start registering and charging for dinghies on their site, with effect from the 1st January.
What is the situation at other East Coast Marinas? If so, what do they charge?
Titchmarsh allow each berth holder one dinghy FOC, but after that there's an annual fee - not sure exactly how much, but in the region of £300.

johnalison

Visit site
I have a friend who has to pay for his dinghy at Titchmarsh but I don’t know how much. It seems logical enough to me. This is for accessing his boat on in the Twizzle.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Last I heard Lowestoft Haven Marina allowed you a finger berth for an 18footer free with your annual subscription.

Sailing steve

Visit site
Tichmarsh charge non berth holders £220 + Vat for dingy storage from April to September.

Unfortunately their slip is the only all tide access to the many dozens of moorings in Twizzle creek, but if that weren't the case and there were other options to choose from I suspect they'd be charging rather less than that.

Chae_73

Visit site
At Bawdsey Haven SC it's £40 a year for membership and use of the slip, great value IMO.

Edit: of course, there is no marina so it's an answer to a slightly different question.

fredrussell

Visit site
Seems reasonable to me for marinas to charge for dinghies. I mean, the whole point of them is that you shouldn’t need a dinghy, or am I missing something here?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Seems reasonable to me for marinas to charge for dinghies. I mean, the whole point of them is that you shouldn’t need a dinghy, or am I missing something here?

It's not unreasonable in itself, but in some cases it's just means of squeezing charges up, by creating more add-on costs on top of the basic mooring fee.

Not that I'm suggesting doing that's unreasonable from a commercial venture's point of view, just unfortunate for those of us on a tight budget.

Concerto

Visit site
If you complain too much about a charge for a dinghy to be stored, they might then consider their car park facilities. Perhaps only allow one car per berth with an extra charge for others?

Stork_III

Visit site
Shotley has a secure locked area where berth holders can store dinghies with or without trailers, keyed access by arrangement with the lock office. I presume this is the facility they intend to introduce a charge for use. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Good point fred, why do you have a dinghy if you are in Shotley?........suspect its more to do with non customers leaving boats on site which they have no real indication of who owns what etc....