Shot blasting Maldon/Burnham/Fambridge area

James W

Visit site
Afternoon all,

Can anyone make any recommendations as to a reliable and careful shot blasting company in the Maldon/Burnham/Fambridge area. I need to get the boat done as soon as possible so I can move it from its current hard standing before total lockdown occurs. I had only planned for it to be in said location for a short time due to costs, but I might easily be stuck there for six months if lockdown occurs. Money is tight and I need to move as soon as possible.

Thanks, James

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I don’t expect shot blasting boats to be on the list of essential work! ?

As far as I can tell, there is no such category of 'essential work', and nothing in the current restrictions to stop a shot blasting.

Except for certain specifically defined categories of retail and hospitality, work is definitely to be continued (with obvious safeguards), at home if possible, but they can't shot blast your boat at home.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
As far as I can tell, there is no such category of 'essential work', and nothing in the current restrictions to stop a shot blasting.

Except for certain specifically defined categories of retail and hospitality, work is definitely to be continued (with obvious safeguards), at home if possible, but they can't shot blast your boat at home.
WHAT???? Why are people looking for loopholes in the instructions? The overall instruction is to stay at home EXCEPT for shopping, medical, care and exercise... Where does travelling to a boat to fit into the exceptions?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
WHAT???? Why are people looking for loopholes in the instructions?

Are they? I thought people were trying to understand what the instructions actually are, not look for loopholes in them. The Government itself is issuing contradictory statements, so the guidance is clearly, er, unclear.

You seem to be imposing your own conception of what the rules and guidance should be, as opposed to what the guidance actually is i.e.:

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons.
  • ● Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • ● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • ● Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.1
  • ● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.
    These four reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent
    outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...e_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf

The overall instruction is to stay at home EXCEPT for shopping, medical, care and exercise...

. . . and work, unless this can be done at home.

Where does travelling to a boat to fit into the exceptions?

We are not talking about the owner travelling to the boat (or at least I wasn't), we are talking about a firm of shot-blasters travelling to the boat to work.

If we had been talking about the owner travelling to the boat, then it becomes a question of is it 'one form of exercise a day', (or even 'work') which the guidance permits, as opposed to being akin to 'travelling to a second home', which the guidance forbids.

In trying to interpret the guidance, remember the whole point of the restrictions is to avoid, as far as possible, people coming into contact with one another, while allowing, as far as possible, maintenance of economic activity and people's mental and physical well-being.

I think we can expect more, or revised, guidance very soon, with sporadic tweaks thereafter, and the answer to the OP's quandary/query may well become clearer, and could also change over time.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Pardon me... Avoiding unnecessary travel also applies to non-essential businesses, or can't they be involved in a road or industrial accident and take up valuable NHS resources when they can be least afforded?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Pardon me... Avoiding unnecessary travel also applies to non-essential businesses, or can't they be involved in a road or industrial accident and take up valuable NHS resources when they can be least afforded?

How many road accidents do people have every day?
Ten, five, one or one accident every twenty thirty years of driving?
And with the roads much less busy than before there is less chance of an accident..

Though the biggest incentive to take care is the likelihood of catching Covid if you do have a rang and end up in hospital.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

The rules make no mention of "non-essential businesses".

They do say that a person can go to work if the work cannot be done at home.

Common sense would dictate that social distancing should also be observed.