Shortage of 4.5 kilo Butane.

Concerto

Visit site
Have you tried Chatham Marina as there seemed to be bottles in both sides of full and empty sides in the storage pen. You may be told they have none, but I am at the marina tomorrow and will ask if they have any 4.5Kg butane and might get a different answer. If so, you PM with your mobile numberI will call you so you can pop over with your bottle.
Checked again today at Chatham. They had none and currently are not returning any empties as the Calor supplier could not guarantee any would be returned full. So this seems to be adding to the problem of lack of bottles.

oldgit

Visit site
Checked again today at Chatham. They had none and currently are not returning any empties as the Calor supplier could not guarantee any would be returned full. So this seems to be adding to the problem of lack of bottles.

Cheers.
Have finally managed to track down a 4.5K full bottle on a friends boat.
Will get us out of the doo doo for now.
I have 101 things to worry about already (ie sufficent wine/ clean shirts etc) on our daring and dangerous adventure, in a probable F1- F2 with the tide , round to Teddington and all I hear from the crew is
"What have you done about the gas bottle". :(
Now got to find my nice laminated "Not for Navigation" map issued by the PLA and we are off.
Pretty sure we turn left at Sheerness. ?

Last edited:

watercraft

Visit site
Does anyone know where there are some 4.5kg refills available? None in Gosport, none in Derby and surrounding areas and Calor not responding to messages.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I have been thinking about changing from camping gaz to calor. Perhaps I will stay as I am for a while longer.
That's exactly what has happened to me. Camping Gaz is bonkers expensive, but at least you can get it. The guy in the last place we bought some said that all the bottles have to go back to France for filling - is that true?

We use an electric single hob & an electric kettle in marinas to keep down the cost.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
It's not a problem to fill your own small Calor bottles from a larger one, just need a hose to connect between the two. The full bottle needs to be upside down during transfer.
From my Australian experience, where bottles are often refilled rather than exchanged, aren't you supposed to have a special "take off" bottle for refilling?

watercraft

Visit site
Does anyone know where there are some 4.5kg refills available? None in Gosport, none in Derby and surrounding areas and Calor not responding to messages.
Just spoken to Calor Gas and they have not dispatched any 4.5Kg cylinders in the last 6 months. This is because there are no cylinders available to refill (no surprise there because mine are empty an I cant exchange them anywhere!!) It would appear new cylinders have been ordered but they come from overseas as the UK doesn't manufacture.

penfold

Visit site
The UK is perfectly capable of making gas cylinders, just not as cheaply as wherever they haven't come from yet; non-existent cylinders are very cheap you see.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
We had some 4.5's delivered last week. None since and the driver was as surprised as I was that they were on his truck. 7kgs are also now hard to get hold of, I suspect they may have been sprayed red and are now impersonating 6kg propane cylinders to meet the campervan demand.

I very much doubt it

Firstly, the caravan and camper market is predominantly butane

Secondly it's predominantly 4.5kg cylinders, only the largest caravans and motor homes can accommodate bigger cylinders

Thirdly, they can't just spray the cylinder a different colour, they're different cylinders.

In decades of using Calor gas, despite repeatedly hearing claims of Calor repurposing butane cylinders to propane and vice versa, i have never once seen such a thing and what's more I'm not convinced it's possible (for starters, the regulator fitting and the mounting of it into the cylinder is entirely different

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
I very much doubt it

Secondly it's predominantly 4.5kg cylinders, only the largest caravans and motor homes can accommodate bigger cylinders

Thirdly, they can't just spray the cylinder a different colour, they're different cylinders.

In decades of using Calor gas, despite repeatedly hearing claims of Calor repurposing butane cylinders to propane and vice versa, i have never once seen such a thing and what's more I'm not convinced it's possible (for starters, the regulator fitting and the mounting of it into the cylinder is entirely different
I very much doubt it

Must be Blue primer they use then.;)Calor small.jpeg

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Must be Blue primer they use then.;)View attachment 120185

Point conceded!

It's some years since I used the smaller sizes of butane and it does rather look as though Calor have adapted the 3.9/4.5 cylinder to be interchangeable by changing the fitting on the 4.5kg butane to a screw thread rather than a clip on (which the larger butane bottles, which we use regularly at home, use and which my memory thinks used to be used on the 4 5kg bottles but my memory may be at fault!)

Certainly the regulator attachment on the larger bottles is totally different

(The 3.9kg propane has a female thread on the bottle, the 4.5kg butane, it seems, has a male thread. The larger butane bottles have a clip on unthreaded attachment, the larger propane bottles retain the female thread! Simple innit!!)

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
Point conceded!

It's some years since I used the smaller sizes of butane and it does rather look as though Calor have adapted the 3.9/4.5 cylinder to be interchangeable by changing the fitting on the 4.5kg butane to a screw thread rather than a clip on (which the larger butane bottles, which we use regularly at home, use and which my memory thinks used to be used on the 4 5kg bottles but my memory may be at fault!)

Certainly the regulator attachment on the larger bottles is totally different

(The 3.9kg propane has a female thread on the bottle, the 4.5kg butane, it seems, has a male thread. The larger butane bottles have a clip on unthreaded attachment, the larger propane bottles retain the female thread! Simple innit!!)

Generally it's all a pain in the rear:rolleyes: 13kg propane, 15kg butane and Patio13kg cylinders are all the same, just an new valve and a spray depending on stock levels and the season. 3.9's and 4.5s are the same, 6kg and 7kg as well. 19kg and 18kg (they have to change the internals over on those though). I know that one of their butane filling plants went down the other week, so that's not helped matters.

The only cylinder available to purchase on a refill agreement, rather than a like for like exchange at present is the Patio5kg (not much use for most boaters or campers).

Now Camping Gaz cylinders that's another story!!!

I'll update as soon as I get delivery of 4.5's to give everyone some hope!?

Reactions: Bru

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'll update as soon as I get delivery of 4.5's to give everyone some hope!?

Useful first hand knowledge ta, complicated innit!

Anyway, I don't care about 4.5s, I need another 3 9kg propane and nobody will let me have one :( (I did manage to track down a refill for the empty bottle but this saga has led me to rethink my strategy to having a spare bottle off the boat ... I'm also considering making provision to switch to Campingaz, as we've got a cylinder in the shed unused and unloved, in case of difficulties obtaining Calor)

sailorman

Visit site
Useful first hand knowledge ta, complicated innit!

Anyway, I don't care about 4.5s, I need another 3 9kg propane and nobody will let me have one :( (I did manage to track down a refill for the empty bottle but this saga has led me to rethink my strategy to having a spare bottle off the boat ... I'm also considering making provision to switch to Campingaz, as we've got a cylinder in the shed unused and unloved, in case of difficulties obtaining Calor)
Cg bottles jn the east of engla nd are refilled jn the calor delot in bury st edmunds.

Other threads that may be of interest