Shortage of 4.5 kilo Butane.

penfold

Visit site
The thread mentions refilling from another bottle as dangerous.
What actually is the "danger" in refilling a calor gas bottle from another calor gas bottle with a proper fitting hose?
liquid butane could give you frostbite if you spill it on you, it's inflammable and in an enclosed space there's a risk of asphyxiation. The main danger is it's really hard to persuade LPG to go from one bottle to another without a pump, so you will get annoyed and kick the cat.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
If you have the agreement paperwork for it still then yes, if not then essentially no.
You would think that they don't want them back. :D I found out about the shortage a while ago when exchanging a larger cylinder. I have 2 larger butane cylinders and 2 6.5kg butane cylinders. I swapped the small ones for Camping Gas when leaving UK and kept them to swap back on my return. I have the original documents for 2 cylinders.

Calor say I'd get nothing for 2 cylinders and might get 25-70% refund (make that 25% for mine) of the original Refill Agreement charge on the others. I'm not really motivated to hand any back as I might need them again.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I was a teenager my father won a contract to build an extension to the small bottle filling plant at the callor works at Coryton. The operatives in the factory were on a bonus to fill the bottles & before filling had to empty the old bottles. This could be done with an extract pipe to a container. However, they used a small tool with a fork that levered on the valve of the GAZ bottles ( filled at the same works in the same plant) This just let the gas run out on the floor. This was quicker than collecting it properly. They often squirted the jet of white gas round my legs for a joke. The white gas was often about 18 inched deep & ran out the bottom of the factory which had open walls at the bottom. The gas flowed down a slope into the nearby creek & away down the creek to goodness knows where.
The gas did no damage to anyone although there was a strict notice that I had to use a rubber hammer & the chisel for cutting a hole in the floor ( in the gas cloud) had to be enclosed in a wet rag. I had to kneel with my head above the gas whilst doing this to a number of bolt holes. They cut down the amount of gas discharged whilst I did it after the first squirting episode.I was only a teenager working in school hols after all. When no one was looking I used a club hammer, as it would have taken ages trying to make a bolt hole with a rubber hammer.
The only real fear is fire & anyone with a bit of common sense could easily fill a gas bottle from another one. The connecting hose needs to be a decent one & no leaks. Do it outside with ventilation & no sparks. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

Aquaboy

Visit site
what you need to be careful is overfilling the bottle......should be a full weight sign on the bottle somewhere and this is important.
You are dealing with the gas in liquid form and it needs a bit of room in the cylinder to expand on a warm day. If it can't it could hydraulically burst an over filled bottle. As a liquid its pretty safe apart from being very cold. Remember there was a push back in the 80ies to convert vehicles to run on the stuff. Think Morrisons had a pump on their forecourt . A mate had a v8 landrover with a cylinder in the back. There was a good tax saving. Used to blow the air box apart if it back fired........

Rappey

Visit site
There are all sorts of connecting pipes on ebay to fill most bottles, even one to connect home gas to a bottle ?
Not heard of anyone blowing up yet. ?

So is butane 600g heavier than propane or you get 600g less in a 3.9/4.5 bottle ?
It doesn't seem that long ago that calour were offering cash for empty bottles, with conditions.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
There are all sorts of connecting pipes on ebay to fill most bottles, even one to connect home gas to a bottle ?
Not heard of anyone blowing up yet. ?

So is butane 600g heavier than propane or you get 600g less in a 3.9/4.5 bottle ?
It doesn't seem that long ago that calour were offering cash for empty bottles, with conditions.
I assume the connector for "home gas" is for someone with a large LPG tank. Trying to fill from mains gas isn't going to work. You might manage to get a few minutes use at mains pressure but it is a gas, not stored as liguid. :D

Butane and propane have different densities in liquid form but both are around half the density of water. Butane has a higher density than propane and they also have different calorific values. You'd need to use that information when making a comparison.

You would certainly want propane in winter when sub-zero as you'd get nothing out of a butane cylinder without applying some heat (warm water :D). A bit catch-22 when sailing in a cold winter as you'd need hot water to get gas to boil a kettle and get hot water. :D:D

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
It would appear nobody wanted my valuable collection of assorted empty gas bottles of every colour and weight/size including the the local retailers.
The only place that would accept them (7 bottles) was the local tip. :)
Have retained my interesting collection of about a dozen assorted regulators as an investment for the future , might leave them to the forum in my will.

Daverw

Visit site
I had to chase around getting a bottle last month, tried 9 places, eventually found a small village hardware store that had loads

Momac

Visit site
One local caravan/motorhome dealer who sells refills at a good price had no Campigaz 907's earlier this year (April) but the marina had some if at greater cost.
The caravan shop had plenty in June and we happened to be walking distance from them when the cylinder ran out.

Rappey

Visit site
Ive noticed that up north in caravan places a refill can be had for £15 but down south the same is £25 ...

oldgit

Visit site
Drove past my handy local outlet on Tuesday spotted a 4.5k bottle outside. Couple of days prior owner of shop had assured me there was none available and none on its way.
Nipped home to collect my empty bottle and drove back...............it had of course gone. ?

stuey_two

Visit site
It would appear nobody wanted my valuable collection of assorted empty gas bottles of every colour and weight/size including the the local retailers.
The only place that would accept them (7 bottles) was the local tip. :)
Have retained my interesting collection of about a dozen assorted regulators as an investment for the future , might leave them to the forum in my will.
40 Calor 4.5kg butane bottles sold on ebay so far this month, 3/4 of them for £10 or over. You may be sitting on a small fortune!

sailorman

Visit site
If you have the original purchase/leasing licence you can get a refund. Otherwise exchange for full one only.
How to refill cg907 all instructions
Most important to chek the finsl weight of the smsll bottle b4 uae. I refill cg907 from a 16 kg calor cylinder
I use digital luggage scales to weigh the refilled 907a refill costs less than a fiveronce you have connectors and hose a savinof zbout 25 poundseach rime?

oldgit

Visit site
Just had another ring round and Nada.
Chum who offered a surplus full bottle proved to have the larger 10K size, it physically will not fit in my locker.
Have now found somebody with a full correct size bottle hidden in the back of their garage.
Full 4.5k bottle of gas on ebay for £ 50 if anyone is interested.
Empty bottles seem to be worth a few quid as well.

Concerto

Visit site
Just had another ring round and Nada.
Chum who offered a surplus full bottle proved to have the larger 10K size, it physically will not fit in my locker.
Have now found somebody with a full correct size bottle hidden in the back of their garage.
Full 4.5k bottle of gas on ebay for £ 50 if anyone is interested.
Empty bottles seem to be worth a few quid as well.
Have you tried Chatham Marina as there seemed to be bottles in both sides of full and empty sides in the storage pen. You may be told they have none, but I am at the marina tomorrow and will ask if they have any 4.5Kg butane and might get a different answer. If so, you PM with your mobile numberI will call you so you can pop over with your bottle.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I got a 7 KG Butane for the Caravan from Ebay. It was £75 delivered but hey ho. There are several on ebay