Shortage of 4.5 kilo Butane.

Gitane

Visit site
No.

I had a devil of a job getting 4.5kg butane in Newlyn last month. Ended up renting a car and driving for an hour to source a bottle.

Apparently, the gas industry is short of bottles due to Covid as many more people than usual are buying bottles for staycations and not using the gas fast enough to return empties in time. The industry is reluctant to order more bottles in fear of being stuck with them when the Covid crisis is over.

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
Having spoken to a Calor rep earlier today, there is unlikely to be any increase in supply of 4.5kg cylinders before the autumn. They have also been hit by their staff being 'pinged' and have had to deploy remaining drivers strategically around the country. Deliveries are at present delayed by up to 7 days. So rather than a supplier being able to order for next day delivery it may arrive sometime the following week. Apart from Patio 5 cylinders, all other cylinders are only being exchanged on a like for like basis. Again unlikely to change before the Autumn.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
3.9 propane also hard to get hold of, i need one!

(It's all very well saying "go for bigger bottles" but bigger bottles won't fit in the gas locker!

oldgit

Visit site
The shortage has been going on for some considerable time.
Nobody around the Medway Towns has any 4.5k bottles..
Have tried the biggest "Camping International" and the smallest little garage in the middle of nowhere.
Even Plant Hire outlets.
The Isle of Sheppey is barren of gas as well :)
The good news .
A boater on our moorings has revealed he has an unused bottle on his boat .He removed all his gas appliances a few years ago and he was wondering what to do with the bottle.
Have decided to help him solve his problem.

peter.m

Visit site
I have been thinking about changing from camping gaz to calor. Perhaps I will stay as I am for a while longer.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I have been thinking about changing from camping gaz to calor. Perhaps I will stay as I am for a while longer.

Under normal circumstances it's a no brainer provided you've space for the slightly larger Calor bottles

But at the moment you're probably wise to hold off until Calor sort out their supply situation.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It's not a problem to fill your own small Calor bottles from a larger one, just need a hose to connect between the two. The full bottle needs to be upside down during transfer.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
It's not a problem to fill your own small Calor bottles from a larger one, just need a hose to connect between the two. The full bottle needs to be upside down during transfer.

"It's not a problem" is extremely debatable! If you're gonna do it, do some research and find out how to do it as safely as possible. Done right it's reasonably safe (for a given value of safe) but it *is* potentially dangerous

And bear in mind that following several high court rulings in recent times, it is now established that it is illegal to refill branded exchange gas bottles (e.g Calor, Campingaz, FloGas etc) so if you're gonna do it, don't shout about it!

FloGas and Calor, in particular, are getting very aggressive and targeting not only dodgy companies refilling their bottles but individuals too - you could actually lose "your"* gas bottles and be banned from using their brand of gas in future if, for example, they find out what you're up to via social media. (You could also theoretically be prosecuted and fined but it's unlikely they'd pursue an individual through the courts**)

* Remember that you don't own the bottles, they remain the property of the gas company. They can terminate your rental agreement and demand their bottles back any time they like if you're found to be in breach of their terms and conditions ... which DIY refilling most certainly is!

** there have been several reports of companies going after individuals posting "how to" guides on social media from the camping and caravanning world although, to be fair, none that i can absolutely 100% confirm. Never the less, the gas bottle companies have said they'll take action against anyone who comes to their attention

PaulRainbow

Visit site
"It's not a problem" is extremely debatable! If you're gonna do it, do some research and find out how to do it as safely as possible. Done right it's reasonably safe (for a given value of safe) but it *is* potentially dangerous

Sounds similar to sailing then, or crossing the road, or just driving your car. All potentially dangerous.

FWIW i don't refill my "own" bottles, a bottle last me at least 6 months and my locker holds four, so no shortages here :)

Reactions: Bru

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Yep, there are many things in life that are dangerous if you do them wrong.

For what it's worth, i don't refill my own bottles either and nor would i as imo it's a bloody silly thing to do. But telling people it's a daft idea doesn't always get through hence the advice about the pitfalls if people insist on being, well, daft!

There are things that are dangerous and fun, those I'll do taking suitable precautions.

Then there are things that are dangerous and unavoidable. Being unavoidable the best one can do is minimise the risk

But doing dangerous things just to save a few quid? Nope, life's too short for that afaic

Aquaboy

Visit site
Dangerous, I,ve never really understood what that means..... How do you quantify it really. Its banded around, more than ever these days usually by someone who just doesn't like the idea of someone else doing something.

Rappey

Visit site
3.9 propane also hard to get hold of, i need one!
I bought two of them 2 days ago from the local chandlery (youboat) .. I ran out in december and just kept forgetting to exchange them..
Facebook market had lots of bottles for sale..