Short Stay Visitors Berth in London

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
We are on a slow cruise east along the south coast and have been contemplating a short visit to London to see friends. We realise that we'll lose at least one arm and leg for this but are a bit confused by the array of options. Does the hive have a consensus on the balance of cost and facilities? IE: where do you recommend?

Thanks

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
A long while ago, but we spent a whole winter at the Limehouse Basin Marina just to the east of Tower Bridge; an easy walk to Canary Wharf or Tower Bridge, or a DLR station/regular buses nearby for travelling further afield, decent pubs/restaurants - including the Cruising Associations - on the doorstep too. We loved it there.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
St Kat's - 7 days for 5 deal - bang next to Tower Bridge & the Tower of London approx = £50/night for a 29'. Walk pretty much everywhere. Surprisingly peaceful at night.

Limehouse looks nice as well.

oldgit

Visit site
St Kats, no point in going anywhere else if it's a one off visit. You wont regret it (y)

+1
All other marinas are second best.
Dependant on how fast your boat is you might want to stop over at Eastbourne or Brighton, Dover or Ramsgate and finally consider Queenborough as the final stop before the Thames.
For a marina final stop MDL Chatham in the Medway might be an alternative.
Once round North Foreland you have simple choice of bouyed channels.
Coast is a bit dull along North Kent coast , basically a dull brown smear on the horizon( bit like the Mediterranean really :) ) and frankly industrial from Southend until you get to the Thames Barrier.
Loads of history on the shore from Greenwich in.
Do try go up past Tower Bridge ar some point,well worth the effort up past H of P and perhaps up as far as the MI5 building after which its bit dull again until Teddington.
Wether power or sail the locals all use the tides to assist their passage on the tidal Thames.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I sometimes sit by the River at Limehouse or Rotherhithe preferably on an old stairs thinking about what it would have been like before the invention of the steam engine.

Loads of boats around I'm sure, all using the tide, oars, sweeps or sails to get around. Probably some setting poles here and there although I think they were more of an upriver thing.

Must have been a quiet and rather peaceful scene other than the profanities.
I bet the smell was bad too.

Would have probably been better to take ones lady to somewhere nice like Pangbourne or perhaps Henley in the motorcar or train and do some necking in a quiet spot aboard a skiff hired from a boat station with some pleasant wine or beer and a hamper.

I like the history of the River. Lots of pleasure and lots of toil and labour.

Two sides to it but it's the same river.

oldgit

Visit site
I sometimes sit by the River at Limehouse or Rotherhithe preferably on an old stairs thinking about what it would have been like before the invention of the steam engine.

Loads of boats around I'm sure, all using the tide, oars, sweeps or sails to get around. Probably some setting poles here and there although I think they were more of an upriver thing.

Must have been a quiet and rather peaceful scene other than the profanities.
I bet the smell was bad too.

Would have probably been better to take ones lady to somewhere nice like Pangbourne or perhaps Henley in the motorcar or train and do some necking in a quiet spot aboard a skiff hired from a boat station with some pleasant wine or beer and a hamper.

I like the history of the River. Lots of pleasure and lots of toil and labour.

Two sides to it but it's the same river.

Apparently Maidenhead was where gentlemen of substance enjoyed their illicit pleasures in Victorian times and the train proved to be useful in getting there and back quickly and efficiently.