Ship's Bell Clock, Traditional Bells.

Slowboat35

Visit site
I've been looking for a chinimg ships clock using the traditional pattern but have completely drawn a blank. I'd be happy with an app if I can't find a physical clock but t'internet world seems only to recognise the American system with no dog watches which is just all wrong..

Surely someone has a lead on a clock/app that does the real thing?

After all, we did invent it...

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Search E-Bay for a Schatz Royal Mariner ... I've got one, they`re excellent (y) ?

SCHATZ Royal Mariner grosse mech. Messing Glasenuhr 7 Rubine + SCHATZ Barometer | eBay

PS: They are fully mechanical and mine is in for a service at the moment with a clock-maker - should be good as new when it comes back. The Caliber 39 (where the two winding holes are closer together and the timekeeping adjustment and switch to turn the bells on/off are near the 12 position) is apparently the one to have.

Here's a google translated page of a german hobbyist describing the clock - good pictures.

Google Translate

Last edited:

Slowboat35

Visit site
I'm sure the clock's a nice piece but sorry, the garbled mistranslated text on that link made no sense at all and their startlingly innovative description of the various watches bears no resemblance to anything I've ever heard of or seen before, let alone to the traditional system!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Schatz themselves went bust a few years back, after producing ships' (and other) clocks for many decades, and they're now made by another company (in the Netherlands(?) I think I read somewhere).

You can still buy (from Nauticalia and some chandlers) a new Schatz 7" Royal Mariner ship's mechanical clock for £850 :eek: , or a battery powered quartz controlled one ('Royal Ocean' - same case and face) for about £400. Both strike the traditional 'ship's bells', rather than the conventional land-lubbery 12 hours. Matching barometers also available.

Schatz Royal Mariner Clock at Nauticalia - Shop Online.
Schatz Royal Ocean Quartz Clock at Nauticalia - Shop Online.

I have, somewhat by accident, a selection of Schatz Royal Mariner ships' clocks. A clock and barometer on the boat, and two Royal Mariner mechanical clocks at home which were fully working but need servicing. If anyone's interested in the latter, get in touch.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I'm sure the clock's a nice piece but sorry, the garbled mistranslated text on that link made no sense at all and their startlingly innovative description of the various watches bears no resemblance to anything I've ever heard of or seen before, let alone to the traditional system!

What is the traditional system? I was under the impression it was a series of chimes every 30 mins going from one at 12:30, 4:30 and 8:30 and counting up to 8 bells at the watch change at 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00. Is there something else? PS: I don't know of a ships clock that will strike the Dogwatch, they all seem to use the simple system.

Last edited:

MarkCX

Visit site
I’m sure it would be relatively straightforward to set up something along those lines within the standard clock/alarm app of most phones. The trickier part is probably uploading sound files for 1, 2, 3 bells etc. Time consuming, but less time than it would take me to earn the money for a real clock that does the same.

There are several apps on the Apple App Store that claim to do what you want minus dog watches. Not checked Android.

Slowboat35

Visit site
The traditional system uses dog watches and thus rings them.
If it doesn't have dog watches it isn't the traditonal system.

Bobc

Visit site
I actually have one on the boat. Can't remember what make it is but I got it secondhand. I think it's German.

We keep the chimes switched off most of the time because it wakes us up in the night.

I do like hearing it doing it's 2, 4, 6, and 8 bells though.

Bilgediver

Visit site
All the British ones I have heard chime every hour in the conventional 2-4-6-8. as Merchant navy practice. Did the RN chime differently for their Dog Watches. Smith's,Sestrel and others frequently available on eBay at eye watering prices.

ithet

Visit site
I'd be happy with an app if I can't find a physical clock but t'internet world seems only to recognise the American system with no dog watches which is just all wrong..

Surely someone has a lead on a clock/app that does the real thing?

After all, we did invent it...
With android you wouldn't need an app, just set the appropriate alarms in 'Clock' to repeat each day. You can even have "bells" if you find or record the appropriate sound file.

Edit, sorry MarkCX, didn't see you had already said this.