Shipping forecast; weather index

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Forgive me if I'm being daft, but on what number can I get the just the shipping forecast verbatim by phone, if I miss Radio 4? I don't mean the Marinecall stuff, just Forth, Tyne, Dogger etc.

Also, what on earth is this safe sailing index? Something that Bill Giles devised, so the introductory message said when I phoned one of the weather numbers. Apparantly the index goes from 1-100, with wind, sea state and other factors taken into account to help you decide whether it's safe to sail.

I tried it last weekend and I'm sure it gave me a factor of 100, which I took to mean safe for beginners. In fact it was bloody horrible. Is this the start of sailing by numbers? In which case it was downright misleading, dangerous even. And presumably I paid the usual premium rate for being mislead by Mr Giles.

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
I know, I know, I know. But when you ARE at sea, mobile handy, what number to call to get shipping forecast verbatim, rather than all that button pressing for areas, etc and advice on how you can review at any time your selection (at extra cost), etc, etc.

I suspect that the marine call (generic) services make a fortune about of people pressing buttons and listening to advice. I simply want the *$£@ shipping bulletin. Can anyone help me oput there, or am I being daft.

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Re: Navtex

This is getting worse that Prime Minister's question time. I know that Navtex works; I know I can access the Met Office on the web, free.

So, once more, how can I get a simple verbatim shipping forecast on my simple mobile? Is there no one who can help me? Meantime I'll phone the Met Office direct.

Peter_Chennell

Visit site
Met Office SMS...

can be personalised so that you receive not only what you ask for here, but also a forecast tailored to your location. Have a look at the bit on their site "SMS".

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Re: Met Office SMS...

No, No, No. I'm beginning to feel like Arabella Weir on the Fast Show. CAN ANYONE HEAR ME? I want to get the SHIPPING BULLETIN on my MOBILE. NOT NAVTEX, or SMS, or WEBSITE. Just some bloke (or Charlotte Green would be nice) repeating the bulletin I missed that morning/midday/midnight. What could be more simple.

I am waiting a call back from the Met Office...

AndrewB

Visit site
Simple, yes. Easy ... well maybe.

Why do you think Marinecall exist, eh? There is no longer a free national telephone service relaying the current shipping forecast.

But its not too hard to get. Call the CG or any nearby marina office, on your mobile if you like (but even cheaper on VHF) and they will give you the current forecast locally - somewhat grudgingly in the case of the CG, but if you are lucky the one they believe rather than the one the Met Office offer.

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Re: Simple, yes. Easy ... well maybe.

Then isn't it about time someone did offer a shipping bulletin service by voice phone? After all, it's our national broadcasting corporation/Met Office and ringing up the CG (or marina) is not a viable option. They don't encourage it and if too many people did it, it would clog the system.

So, all I am asking for is an (ideally freephone) number relaying the current forecast. Failing that the usual 60p/minute service, which would be cheaper than the infuriating Marinecall; would give all areas, so you can get an overall picture.

Is that too much to ask from the BBC, which we pay for, and the Met Office (ditto) or is all just about making money from us lot?

AndrewB

Visit site
The root of all evil.

The Met Office provided a free telephone relay service of the shipping forecast for many, many years. Stopped about 10 years ago, in the name of ... whatever they generally stop anything useful in the name of. Like directory enquiries and now UK tidal forecasts.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Think I may have a blind spot...

but for the life of me, I can't imagine why you'd want to use a mobile to access something from a boat. There are so many holes in mobile coverage along the coast that it's about the least effective means of marine commincation ever, if you discount semaphore in fog.

Plus, it fries your brain.

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Re: Think I may have a blind spot...

Least effective? Get real, Ken. Holes? Very few these days. Especially close to harbours. Name me a port in the UK where you cannot get a signal. The mobile phone, whether we care to admit it or not, is every bit as useful a communication device close to land as the VHF, for certain things. Call home, call restaurant, even call marina and coastguard. Besides, the new VHFs are hideously expensive.

To be able to get a voice forecast at 6am, on a mooring, in Dunbar (which was where we were at the time) and to be told that Bill Giles' new "sailing index" was 100 (safe for even beginners to sail) and that the 2 day iinshore forecast for this area (when I wanted the whole picture) was such and such (and after waiting interminable time for announcer to get through the plugs) when all I wanted was the blasted forecast (I overslept) was maddening.

Adrian_Morgan

Visit site
Re: Think I may have a blind spot...

Success, of a kind. Press officer admits that the current shipping forecast can be accessed free of charge, or at least by local call (0845 300 0300) 24 hours a day. An operator will read you the bulletin, or any parts that might interest you. It won’t be Charlotte Green. The downside is that at peak times, inevitably, you might be “held in a queue”, and told about the Met Office website, however at 6am and 2am it is likely you’ll get through quickish. But that sounds a lot better than paying MarineCall charges and hearing “welcome to Marine Call” and the usual time wasting guff. Much, much cheaper too (cheaper than fax also at £1/minute).

G

Re: ah but...here are the numbers

the ah but is that 0845 300 0300 will usually give you the marinecall numbers. It's not *too* much guff, only 15 secs, whole lot done in under 2 mins.

09068500 992 south coast
ditto 954 irish sea
ditto 991 south north sea
ditto 955 north north sea
ditto 985 nw scotland

BrianJ

Visit site
Listening to the cricket last night at 2100 EST (OZ) whe the commentators said they would break shortly for the "shipping forecast".
Now I know we are in a bit of strife this test (so far) but I didn't understand why a radio station that broadcasts the cricket would hold up play while they tell you guys (and Gals) what the weather will be.
Is that normal ?
brianj