Ship Happens

clyst

Visit site
Not sure where the build slips were but the shots of fitting out was in Looe Cornwall . BTW I still have my adze and scars on my shins from learning how to use it .

penfold

Visit site
The HDML was designed by W J Holt at the Admiralty in early 1939. During the war HDMLs were constructed, mainly by yacht builders.
HDMLs had a round bilge heavy displacement hull .
Most HDML hulls were planked in mahogany, but as the war progressed this became scarce and larch was used, although this tended to lead to leaky hulls. The decks were also of double-diagonal construction and generally made of softwood. Boats operating in tropical waters (including the Mediterranean Sea) were sheathed in copper below the waterline to prevent the attack of marine borers.
Sounds like you have the same book I'm looking at as a reference; Design & Construction of British Warships?

Birdy60

Visit site
Well they have just had another painting party with enthusiasts attacking the hull with grinders and squeaky blunt scrapers till someone had a revelation that paint comes off easier if heated! You can see the timber and it is definitely larch which is probably good news for them as with that much fresh water ingress between the double diagonal skins would have been an even greater disaster.

Advent3207

Visit site
Just reading through some of the comments on this thread. Some of it really does read like school girls bitching. I dont think I have come across such negativity about someone elses ventures. Ship happens must have been mortified when she found this thread. Clyst in particular, his words seem to carry negative electrons! - you wouldnt want him/her around on a bad day for sure.

Personally, if you read this Ship Happens, I wish you all the best with what you are doing, forget what the negative ones say.

On a positive note, your adversaries have given you some exposure and have gained you subscribers!

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
Just reading through some of the comments on this thread. Some of it really does read like school girls bitching. I dont think I have come across such negativity about someone elses ventures. Ship happens must have been mortified when she found this thread. Clyst in particular, his words seem to carry negative electrons! - you wouldnt want him/her around on a bad day for sure.

Personally, if you read this Ship Happens, I wish you all the best with what you are doing, forget what the negative ones say.

On a positive note, your adversaries have given you some exposure and have gained you subscribers!

You mention in another post that you are new to yachting apart from having owned a speed boat which likely "but may not" have needed maintenance like a lot of us have done with our yachts after purchasing so most have gained knowledge of what is required to get a boat "ship Shape" so they see the faults that some youtube bloggers are showing hence the negetivity, and being new to this thing you see the eyes through somone with possibly little experience of doing up a boat. I personally like the two Ship Shape couple as they come across friendly but I do think they are using the channel now just to get free stuff.

Advent3207

Visit site
You mention in another post that you are new to yachting apart from having owned a speed boat which likely "but may not" have needed maintenance like a lot of us have done with our yachts after purchasing so most have gained knowledge of what is required to get a boat "ship Shape" so they see the faults that some youtube bloggers are showing hence the negetivity, and being new to this thing you see the eyes through somone with possibly little experience of doing up a boat. I personally like the two Ship Shape couple as they come across friendly but I do think they are using the channel now just to get free stuff.
Come on buddy, theres finding faults and then theres pulling apart everything someone does, looking in every orifice for a fault then amplifying it with pure badness. That is how some of this thread reads. Its quite disturbing really.
It reads almost as though some people are waiting for ship happens to do something wrong, and are pleased to point out the slightest issue in which they can scoff at.

Freebee

Visit site
Pick any topic you would like to discuss there will always be critics and those that are very much in favour of the topic -the same is happening here. On this forum we have a good cross section of the public all sharing a topic which we feel passionate about. Most of us are not looking for fault or failure but when you see somebody making a mistake is it wiser to stay quiet or braver to volunteer a comment. There is no doubting the passion on ship happens but this program of restoration will run and run and may well run out of steam, money and energy before they have anything like a sea worthy craft. Only time will tell.

ShipHappens

Visit site

Many thanks for your words.
I think people judge others off their own abilities, so negative people are really just people who know they can't so it themselves so think noone else can!
If people actually took the time to do their research they would understand that we do have the skills to do this restoration, and we are not scared of hard work like others!
Here are a few photos of a little wooden 1962 Broom we restored a few years ago, we have restorated many boats, but sarinda is the first we have shared with the public.

Attachments

• 17523724_10155899371751521_7122704913983476507_n.jpg
    17523724_10155899371751521_7122704913983476507_n.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 19399682_10156232864806521_4554120179377107469_n.jpg
    19399682_10156232864806521_4554120179377107469_n.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 19420889_10156232864946521_1677034955206646675_n.jpg
    19420889_10156232864946521_1677034955206646675_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 19424499_10156232864706521_6479998256728347072_n.jpg
    19424499_10156232864706521_6479998256728347072_n.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 45

Wansworth

Visit site
Having rebuilt various wooden boats I have an inkling ofthe enormity of the project.A wooden boat is a consortium of many pieces all built up upon the keel as it’s known as the backbone.I don’t think people are negative ti just goes against the grain and known first principals to make sure your building on a sound foundation as for example (tally Ho).Wouldit not be prudent to engage the services of a good suveyor to assertain the soundness of the hull etc before ongoing expenses and time

ShipHappens

Visit site
Having rebuilt various wooden boats I have an inkling ofthe enormity of the project.A wooden boat is a consortium of many pieces all built up upon the keel as it’s known as the backbone.I don’t think people are negative ti just goes against the grain and known first principals to make sure your building on a sound foundation as for example (tally Ho).Wouldit not be prudent to engage the services of a good suveyor to assertain the soundness of the hull etc before ongoing expenses and time

Look at the photos above, would we have got a surveyor to come and tell is what needs to be done to the boat in the first photo? Would you take a broken car for an MOT when you know what is wrong with it?
Every inch of the boat is getting restored, and at present she is not strong enough to moved or be lifted, so what can a surveyor see that we can't?
Leo is doing a fantastic job with Tally Ho, but he is building a new boat, and we are working with a budget which is probably 1000 times lower than his, so the 2 projects can't really be compared.
We are in constant communication with actual experts who know these boats inside and out, so we will always follow their advice, and not that of many armchair experts who just like to slag others off without knowing all the details! The real experts that we seek advice from are professional people who don't like to be plastered all over the Internet, life has always taught us, just because someone likes to speak the loudest doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, and real experts don't sit on forums all day spouting shite!

Parabordi

Visit site
Look at the photos above, would we have got a surveyor to come and tell is what needs to be done to the boat in the first photo? Would you take a broken car for an MOT when you know what is wrong with it?
Every inch of the boat is getting restored, and at present she is not strong enough to moved or be lifted, so what can a surveyor see that we can't?
Leo is doing a fantastic job with Tally Ho, but he is building a new boat, and we are working with a budget which is probably 1000 times lower than his, so the 2 projects can't really be compared.
We are in constant communication with actual experts who know these boats inside and out, so we will always follow their advice, and not that of many armchair experts who just like to slag others off without knowing all the details! The real experts that we seek advice from are professional people who don't like to be plastered all over the Internet, life has always taught us, just because someone likes to speak the loudest doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, and real experts don't sit on forums all day spouting shite!
Good for you, i love watching what you do!

Advent3207

Visit site
YES! A full send on the positivity ?. Dont ever let them get to you, keep at it ?

sarabande

Visit site
[...]
[...]

There is a problem with your view that your "actual experts" (no names given) know more than the 'forum experts'. You will be very hard put to find a more cohesive collection of boat experts, whether mechanical, electrical, structural, wood, metal, GRP than on these forums. And we do have real experts who have full time jobs in the marine industry, and who do join in on the forum and share their knowledge for free during the day.

My perception of your situation is that you have bitten off more than you can chew, and that the project is beyond the skill (knowledge and experience) levels needed to complete the project in an ordered, logical, and financially sensible way. This is despite the calm advice of many posters on these forums from the beginning. It doesn't help that you seem to ignore advice, and your passing round the begging bowl for commercial support and sponsorship appears to verify that you have miscalculated the costs of the renovation project. This in turn raises the thesis that if you get the costs wrong, you cannot have known what you are doing in planning, costing, and executing the multiple disciplines needed to fix a large wooden boat.

There's no doubt about your enthusiasm; it's your unwillingness (especially at the start, but also presently) to look at the project, to ask for objective advice and to accept that advice freely given from people here who have spent a lifetime surveying, and running boat-mending projects of more complexity than yours.

Creeks and yards round the UK are full of abandoned dreams. I regret that they will be joined eventually by yours.

sarabande

Visit site
Project like this are not completed on hope alone; they need careful and detailed preliminary surveys, wide knowledge and experience in wooden boat restoration, skills in timeline and critical path analysis, and from these an accurate budget of costs in money and time. And resources to service the project.

Advent3207

Visit site
Project like this are not completed on hope alone; they need careful and detailed preliminary surveys, wide knowledge and experience in wooden boat restoration, skills in timeline and critical path analysis, and from these an accurate budget of costs in money and time. And resources to service the project.
I think I can hope all I want, its not my project (y)

This list of things you say they 'need'. They dont need it, it might be advantageous but not a necessity. Maybe it is that YOU wouldnt be confident without detailed preliminary surveys or critical path analysis or accurate budget of costs, doesnt mean its a red taped necessity to need these things.

Utter rubbish if you ask me (speaking from personal experience)

ShipHappens

Visit site
There is a problem with your view that your "actual experts" (no names given) know more than the 'forum experts'. You will be very hard put to find a more cohesive collection of boat experts, whether mechanical, electrical, structural, wood, metal, GRP than on these forums. And we do have real experts who have full time jobs in the marine industry, and who do join in on the forum and share their knowledge for free during the day.

My perception of your situation is that you have bitten off more than you can chew, and that the project is beyond the skill (knowledge and experience) levels needed to complete the project in an ordered, logical, and financially sensible way. This is despite the calm advice of many posters on these forums from the beginning. It doesn't help that you seem to ignore advice, and your passing round the begging bowl for commercial support and sponsorship appears to verify that you have miscalculated the costs of the renovation project. This in turn raises the thesis that if you get the costs wrong, you cannot have known what you are doing in planning, costing, and executing the multiple disciplines needed to fix a large wooden boat.

There's no doubt about your enthusiasm; it's your unwillingness (especially at the start, but also presently) to look at the project, to ask for objective advice and to accept that advice freely given from people here who have spent a lifetime surveying, and running boat-mending projects of more complexity than yours.

Creeks and yards round the UK are full of abandoned dreams. I regret that they will be joined eventually by yours.

Begging bowl ?
Maybe you think everyone should work for free to provide you with something to watch on YouTube. You get to watch for free, and we never demand payment from anyone. We all know how expensive boats are, and a project this size needs alot of pennies!! We are 2 normal working class people, we don't have trust funds or rich parents, so by working full time to just pay our bills doesn't leave anything for a massive restoration bill. So if companies want to help fund the project then why is it any skin off your nose? Even Leo has sponsorship! Just watch his latest video! And what does he say at the end of each video??
And any money raised from this doesn't even go in our back pockets, it goes straight into the restoration costs, oh and 20% to the tax man! Are you just upset noone pays for your restoration? Seems to be alot of jealous people on here that love to bring this subject up! I've said this many times, but financially we would be better off working in KFC! we all love wooden boats, well I hope you do as this is what this forum is about, and we all know noone makes money from owning one!! We are not a boat building company, we are 2 little people trying are hardest to save a bit of history, without us falling in love with Sarinda, where would she be now? Most probably broke up and sold for her engines, as that is the fate we actually saved her from. There was not a queue of master boat builders waiting to stand up and save her. So maybe people can start to realised this and support us, I wouldn't dare ask for any help from this group due to past posts, so maybe if some people here were abit nicer then we would feel safe to be here and take advice from the knowledgeable people in this group. Its to bad some rotten apples spoil the whole bunch!

Other threads that may be of interest