Ship Happens

clyst

Visit site
Hi guys ...... have I missed something? They said they made the new roof beams in their shore based workshop . I cant see anywhere in their recent YT vids how they fastened them to the " cabin" sides . Did they bolt them ? Screw them or what ? Maybe they have just rested the roof in place .......... hope not!

38mess

Visit site
I'm still not convinced that those drains on the roof are a good idea. They will soon block and be unable to shut tightly. I think the guys are doing a great job with this old ship

Last edited:

Birdy60

Visit site
Well I see they have just cleaned out the aft cabin/ lazarette which they seem to think is not too bad but looks a disaster area. It’s amazing to me that they have worked on the boat for 18 months and still have no concept of how much work they need to do and are happy just to tackle it piecemeal. God knows how he is going to get under the stern to fasten timbers, engine beds don’t look great. They said the other day that they don’t need to worry about the beamshelf aft as the new one above it is OK even though it’s just attached to some sheets of dodgy ply and a few skimpy short frames. They are blissfully unaware that as well as carrying the beams it is a major structural member for longitudinal stiffness. At some point they will find something they can’t deal with on the water and will walk away from it. They are planning on replacing the transom on the mud but have not made any assessment of the condition of the fashion pieces or framing so that will be an interesting bodge. No mention at all of hull planking, with all that fresh water leaking in around the covering boards I’d be astounded if there isn’t decay around the sheer, and old calico does a great job of spreading the spores further between the skins. And they seem to think ‘painting’ involves one coat of primer!

Wansworth

Visit site
No one on the forum has come to a clear understanding of what they are about,it causes minor distress as most people here look at boats as objects to use on the water and would feel happier if the craft was upon a slip to check the boat out properly before further work but the owners have little or no experience and are in a state of blissful denial??

clyst

Visit site
We are all missing the trick as when you look they have more tools than 'Tool station' much of it donated , I think the plan really is to get some more and then start a shop :)

I agree their new moto seems to be if it does not move paint it
.............. and if it does move and it shouldn't.... gaffa tape it ......... BTW what happened to the new roof ? Thats seemed to have died a natural . FFS why dont they finish atleast one job before they start another , or am I missing something ?

V1701

Visit site
I stopped watching it regularly a long time ago but have a glance every now & then to see that they've made remarkably little progress. But then it is a huge project. I know they get Youtube ad revenue and free tools and money from Patreon (which all seems to really upset some people for some reason) but there are easier ways to earn money, or get money. I bet, e.g. if you added up all the revenue it wouldn't even come to minimum wage given all the hours all of it takes. Which makes me think that they must think that they're going to have a viable boat someday...

Daverw

Visit site
.............. and if it does move and it shouldn't.... gaffa tape it ......... BTW what happened to the new roof ? Thats seemed to have died a natural . FFS why dont they finish atleast one job before they start another , or am I missing something ?
Do you mean the forward section of the roof they replaced a few weeks ago?

clyst

Visit site
I note this weeks episode has the blatent begging bowl out for more wood .?? ... and they haven't completed the forepeak yet . I hope the financial "penny" is now begining to drop for them . ........ I wonder what the kids are thinking about the same old weekend routine this summer. BTW how the girls interest in the mirror restoration .......... is it still on going ?

Wansworth

Visit site
Those wartime fast craft I should imagine had a limited life span at operating speeds at sea. Its a massive job to get the boat properly seaworthy which the recent rib replacement seems to be ignoring the fastening to the keel it may have to be all redone to make it properly seaworth and not just a static holiday home which it is quite adequate for

clyst

Visit site
Those wartime fast craft I should imagine had a limited life span at operating speeds at sea. Its a massive job to get the boat properly seaworthy which the recent rib replacement seems to be ignoring the fastening to the keel it may have to be all redone to make it properly seaworth and not just a static holiday home which it is quite adequate for
Built quickly and cheaply for war service .

clyst

Visit site
Statistically they got blown up or sunk before they rotted, so that calculation was a good one.
Strangely these two intrepid ship repairers refuse to have the craft surveyed nor moved to a boatyard ( if there was one to take it ) .Anyone with real intentions of spending mega money and time on this ,what appears to be rotten to the core ,craft would surely make sure it is financially viable and salvageable in the first instance .

Other threads that may be of interest