Ship Happens

Rappey

Visit site
From what I've seen you both have good skillsets. I was impressed how you made your galley sink/cooking unit.
With mainly two of you and having other commitments I wonder if you have enough time to get anywhere close to finishing the project ?
The negative comments here are only a very small percentage of the forum. Would be a shame to judge everyone over a few personal thoughts.
22 pages of discussion and 33k views so far does show a large interest on this forum.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well might add , (comment) that Dogged Determination will and does overcome most obsticles in life , plus a determination to get the Task done , somehow

Might mention from Personal Experience that them Boats of the 30s and 40 , mainly Larch Planking , were (are) very resiliant to most rot so can be reclaimed sucessfully

Great project that you are into , best wishes , guess tht you are making your own MARK on our waterfront

Down Medway way some large craft that were abandoned up Whitewall Creek to just rot n decay away , were salvaged sucessfully

Down ere in Devon , on River Teign , a trading boat was 'discovered' by some Society , was removed from its Muddy Grave and has undergone a restoration , sucessfully ; well I had been aware of this Boats predicament for half a lifetime , seeing it gradually being covered by the tides and mud ; Never in my wildest dreas did I ever think that the Boat would sail gain ; but some did

Wansworth

Visit site
Years ago a bloke rescued a Brixham trawler fro a mud berth in Littlehampton,twenty years later more or less the boat was sailing although not fully fitted out.Working between tides mainly on his own he rebuilt and rigged the 70footer called “Vigilance”.It’s possible to restore Sarinda but not as an ex Air Sea Rescue launch unlessthey completely rebuild the deck and the original wheelhouse etc.It will be a twin engined motor boat

Tranona

Visit site
With mainly two of you and having other commitments I wonder if you have enough time to get anywhere close to finishing the project ?

That is central to the scepticism about these projects. People simply underestimate the amount of hours required for this type of project - or indeed any non production boat building activity. Just simple sums will demonstrate the impossibility of even a couple completing a major project like this. I keep in my mind the the hours required to build a range of 40-45' Mobos based on a common moulded hull. The hull and deck mouldings required 3 people full time for 3 weeks (so 300 hours or so) - setting up and polishing the mould tools, building the timber grid and then laminating curing releasing and polishing. Fitting out took anywhere between 1200-1500 hours depending on spec of a whole range of trades doing nothing but building. All design purchasing, project management on top of this. Just the trades part is equivalent to a year full time work in terms of man hours. Not surprising that when we sold part complete boats to private owners they took up to 5 years to complete even when employing trades for key jobs like engine installations, electrics etc.

Now relate that type of productivity to restoring boats. I have built 2 boats, one from a wooden kit, one from a well designed GRP kit, restored another wooden boat and currently on my 4th project, restoring and upgrading a 31' GRP/wood composite boat. It is effectively my full time job (through choice). Since I started 8 months ago I have worked on average 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Actual taking apart, making bits, putting together averages 4-5 hours a day. The balance is thinking and planning time, buying and liaising with contractors. Fortunately I am only 15 minutes drive from the boat so travel time not an issue.

The boat that is subject to this thread required thousands of skilled man hours to build. How can 2 individuals no matter how good their skills and dedication possibly restore it on their own, when even full time they would be lucky to get 2000 productive hours a year between them? Remember that those hours are just putting it together and taking apart can be just as time consuming - never mind the times a job has to be redone because the planning and execution was wrong - inevitable in one offs and first time tasks.

I have deliberately avoided too much emphasis on material costs and will only say that the worst estimate budget will at least double during the life of the project.

So the old truism of boat restoration rules - the boat is twice as bad as you thought when you bought it; it will take at least twice as long to restore as you estimate; costs will be twice as high as your worst budget. Most importantly you only have so many working hours available in a year and at least half of those will be unproductive.

clyst

Visit site
Just reading through some of the comments on this thread. Some of it really does read like school girls bitching. I dont think I have come across such negativity about someone elses ventures. Ship happens must have been mortified when she found this thread. Clyst in particular, his words seem to carry negative electrons! - you wouldnt want him/her around on a bad day for sure.

Personally, if you read this Ship Happens, I wish you all the best with what you are doing, forget what the negative ones say.

On a positive note, your adversaries have given you some exposure and have gained you subscribers!
A strange opening post indeed . Most people who have a genuine interest in this group politely introduce themselves without ripping into a long standing poster, in their opening post ,who they have no knowledge of........ So I 'm sorry, I question your reason for joining .
Since you are new to the forum you may not be aware that this group and the other groups on the forum are continually monitored by the admin mods in a fair and unbiased manner . I personally in the 20 years I have been a member of this forum and in particular this group , haven't received any warnings from the admin regarding misconduct so all my posts / comments must considered acceptable .

DownWest

Visit site
It doesn't help much when advice from the experienced posters gets them abused by the SH couple. As said before and very eloquently by Tranona, this is a project that needs a massive amount of work to bring it back to a semblance of which ever previous life is planned. So far, lots of tinkering around the edges , but, a huge amount of serious hull work needed soon .

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Neither do I - with the big fold down bed in the back……
A strange opening post indeed . Most people who have a genuine interest in this group politely introduce themselves without ripping into a long standing poster, in their opening post ,who they have no knowledge of........ So I 'm sorry, I question your reason for joining .
Since you are new to the forum you may not be aware that this group and the other groups on the forum are continually monitored by the admin mods in a fair and unbiased manner . I personally in the 20 years I have been a member of this forum and in particular this group , haven't received any warnings from the admin regarding misconduct so all my posts / comments must considered acceptable .

Yea well , I guess these Forums cater for all types of Poster , but I must question the comments above , about not received any warnings from the Admin so all my posts etc etcetc cough cough

Might as an observation say that it just might appear that those whom fall into that catagory just might be tghe most useless of Contributers overall ?

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Yea well , I guess these Forums cater for all types of Poster , but I must question the comments above , about not received any warnings from the Admin so all my posts etc etcetc cough cough

Might as an observation say that it just might appear that those whom fall into that catagory just might be tghe most useless of Contributers overall ?

My ‘quote’ was nothing to do with this thread at all - it was relevant to the large fold down bed in the back of an Austin Maxi in the lounge group, I have no idea how it ended up in this group.

** Edit ** the more I think and have trawled this ‘ship happens’ I have no idea how I’ve been dragged into this…. If anyone can explain it I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• 2415700F-46BE-4223-A697-1B7CD5360984.jpeg
    2415700F-46BE-4223-A697-1B7CD5360984.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Loxxxton

Visit site
Seems like despite all the negativity on this thread the ship happens couple are carrying on quite well. I check in on the youtube channel occasionally and they seem to doing things quite well. I do think it's going to take several years but they do state they are in it for the long run. Maybe instead of sniping and generally gufforing at the temerity of the young upstarts a little advice and encouragement might go a long way. I didn't see any prospect of anyone else stepping in to at try to save an historic ship. So it's going to go one of two ways..... they do it or they don't! Either way at least they had the balls to try and its not like there is a huge line of professional people that they are stopping. Please stop being so arrogant and just well, just ?

Loxxxton

Visit site
There is a problem with your view that your "actual experts" (no names given) know more than the 'forum experts'. You will be very hard put to find a more cohesive collection of boat experts, whether mechanical, electrical, structural, wood, metal, GRP than on these forums. And we do have real experts who have full time jobs in the marine industry, and who do join in on the forum and share their knowledge for free during the day.

My perception of your situation is that you have bitten off more than you can chew, and that the project is beyond the skill (knowledge and experience) levels needed to complete the project in an ordered, logical, and financially sensible way. This is despite the calm advice of many posters on these forums from the beginning. It doesn't help that you seem to ignore advice, and your passing round the begging bowl for commercial support and sponsorship appears to verify that you have miscalculated the costs of the renovation project. This in turn raises the thesis that if you get the costs wrong, you cannot have known what you are doing in planning, costing, and executing the multiple disciplines needed to fix a large wooden boat.

There's no doubt about your enthusiasm; it's your unwillingness (especially at the start, but also presently) to look at the project, to ask for objective advice and to accept that advice freely given from people here who have spent a lifetime surveying, and running boat-mending projects of more complexity than yours.

Creeks and yards round the UK are full of abandoned dreams. I regret that they will be joined eventually by yours.
Its great to have a forum of experts and professional folks on this forum its just a shame that my first impressions are of a bunch of pompous puffed up old men who seem affronted by a couple giving it a go. Who else was ever going to try to undertake this project? No one that's who. This is going to go one of two ways. They will either do it or they won't. Either way instead of sitting in ivory towers and disparaging and belittling 'little amateur people'. How about offering advice and help. Remember Sarinda is an actual historic ship that was rotting away. At least she now has a chance, however slim. So let's celebrate and not denigrate the attempt.

Wansworth

Visit site
With the cabin space above the hull it’s difficult to see Sarinda as an historical vessel,she will be representative of those vessels bought after the war and buggeredabout with to make living accomodation either for holiday ing or permanent living.Yearsago Lived near Littlehampton and itwas a wonderful place with mud berths as homes to craft just likeSarinda and old yachts and fishing craft.Nowall sadly cleared out.Sarinda has her place asa reprentatveof that post war era but to keep pumping the craft up as a historic craft should be left to those actual craft that have the original top hamper ,just my opinion

Rappey

Visit site
its just a shame that my first impressions are of a bunch of pompous puffed up old men who seem affronted by a couple giving it a go.
It's a shame you have not read through the many restoration threads on this forum and seen the help and praise given.
If you've read all this thread then you would understand some of the "affrontment" ?
Labeling people pompous just because they see something differently to you is not a great way to make friends ?

On the positive side I thought her idea of laser engraving every patron onto a piece of wood in the boat was a nice idea.
She explained how it all worked and engraved nearly everything within reach :D
It was a fun and interesting video.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Seems like despite all the negativity on this thread the ship happens couple are carrying on quite well. I check in on the youtube channel occasionally and they seem to doing things quite well. I do think it's going to take several years but they do state they are in it for the long run. Maybe instead of sniping and generally gufforing at the temerity of the young upstarts a little advice and encouragement might go a long way. I didn't see any prospect of anyone else stepping in to at try to save an historic ship. So it's going to go one of two ways..... they do it or they don't! Either way at least they had the balls to try and its not like there is a huge line of professional people that they are stopping. Please stop being so arrogant and just well, just ?

Oh dear before you make snide comments about us so called 'sniping, gufforing, arrogant pompous puffed up old men ' not giving advice I strongly advise you get your facts right and do your homework as many of us 'arrogant pompous puffed up old men ' have forgotten more about boats than you ever know purely from simple experience.

This thread on ship happens goes way back on here and despite the good advice given by many on here and many others to give sound good advice in the early days based on their experience they just ignore everything as 'they know better'

Apart from everything else they have a canny way of asking for things donated (usually new) and currently have been given enough tools and paint etc to start a Chandlery

If you are so convinced we are all a forum of 'sniping, arrogant pompous puffed up old men' then I suggest you leave it!

Last edited:

ShipHappens

Visit site
Hands up who thought we wouldn't get to 100 episodes! Nearly 2 years in and more determined than ever to get Sarinda seaworthy again! Also we are giving away a Raymarine Axiom 7 if you are interested in an upgrade for your boat?

Restoration man

Visit site
Hands up who thought we wouldn't get to 100 episodes! Nearly 2 years in and more determined than ever to get Sarinda seaworthy again! Also we are giving away a Raymarine Axiom 7 if you are interested in an upgrade for your boat?

I’ve been watching since the beginning, I personally think you are doing a great job , im in awe of your work , running a camper van company and having a Young family and still getting so much done , and producing quality YouTube videos don’t know how you find the time
Keep up the good work
Nick

Bilgediver

Visit site
Congratulations. Time will come when it is engine time and then maybe use your charm on the folk at Finning in Winsford. They are part of a big group dealing with Caterpillar and who knows but you might be able to get them to improve on their usual
exchange service costs for pistons and cylinder heads if required.

FINNING UK of Winsford

galeus

Visit site
Not seen any comments for a bit, I really enjoy watching their videos and admire the skill and determination they both show. Now they have a second 'channel' with the GRP motor boat, even better.

Other threads that may be of interest