Ship carrying boats listing and abandoned in the Norwegian Sea

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Kukri, have you read " Pacific Ordeal " by Kenneth Ainslie?

Lots of good tug stuff there. ?

But no Dynema...................................

No but I know a man who has! Back in 1987 when I was working on a nice project in PNG we bought three of the old Ceres mini bulkers that had been laid up out of class in the Mississippi for a contract on the Fly River. On the strength of that book we didn’t tow them; they “proceeded independently” and they all made it - and lasted much longer, after they got there, than we expected!

8807B073-1BAC-4B40-9A04-2650798F0647.jpeg2EB9A4F5-E8F4-4911-BDF6-041483A92423.jpeg

Frogmogman

Visit site

Bajansailor

Visit site
Back in 1987 when I was working on a nice project in PNG we bought three of the old Ceres mini bulkers that had been laid up out of class in the Mississippi for a contract on the Fly River. On the strength of that book we didn’t tow them; they “proceeded independently” and they all made it - and lasted much longer, after they got there, than we expected!

I remember reading about (and being impressed by) how one of the 'Mini' bulkers (called 'Mini Lace') was retrofitted with an auxiliary sail in the early 80's by the Windship Corporation - so I had to go and google her. And (as usual) it is amazing what comes up.
Here is a nice article in the NYT about her.

A FRESH WIND FOR SAIL POWER (Published 1981)

Bajansailor

Visit site
Hope the volcanic dust isn't raining down on your head now.

We have had quite a deluge of ash raining down here today!
I was supposed to visit Port St Charles this morning on a yacht survey job, but the weather conditions looked awful, with very poor visibility, so we postponed until maybe Monday. It later became worse - it was pretty much pitch dark at 3 pm here this afternoon, and I had to water my plants by torchlight.

There are some impressive photos of the eruptions here -

The GOES weather map is still showing cloud coming from the volcano, heading this way, but it is white cloud, not brown like before, so hopefully that is a positive sign.
Although this might just be that it is night time here now......
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/CAR/GEOCOLOR/GOES16-CAR-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif

And a mention in our local rag -
Volcano ash turns northern skies dark

A strong long rain shower would be nice to wash down everything, but not much chance of that now in the middle of dry season - although we did have a very short rain shower for a few minutes this evening which at least dampened things down a bit.

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
We have had quite a deluge of ash raining down here today!
I was supposed to visit Port St Charles this morning on a yacht survey job, but the weather conditions looked awful, with very poor visibility, so we postponed until maybe Monday. It later became worse - it was pretty much pitch dark at 3 pm here this afternoon, and I had to water my plants by torchlight.

There are some impressive photos of the eruptions here -

The GOES weather map is still showing cloud coming from the volcano, heading this way, but it is white cloud, not brown like before, so hopefully that is a positive sign.
Although this might just be that it is night time here now......
https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/CAR/GEOCOLOR/GOES16-CAR-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif

And a mention in our local rag -
Volcano ash turns northern skies dark

A strong long rain shower would be nice to wash down everything, but not much chance of that now in the middle of dry season - although we did have a very short rain shower for a few minutes this evening which at least dampened things down a bit.
That's an unusual wind direction for your part of the world isn't it?

Bajansailor

Visit site
That's an unusual wind direction for your part of the world isn't it?

Not really - the ash is sent into the upper atmosphere where the 'anti-trades' are blowing in the opposite direction to the north-easterly trade winds at sea level. and these anti-trades brought the ash over our way.

I think that airline pilots keep a good look out for these winds - a tail wind can help them enormously. And they certainly don't want to encounter a head wind!

Bajansailor

Visit site
I just looked at the GOES map, and it looks like we have another big ash cloud heading our way. Oh joy. ?
GOES-East - Sector view: Tropical Atlantic - GeoColor - NOAA / NESDIS / STAR

We have been inundated with the stuff - it is everywhere, inside and outside. I try to remember to wear my Covid mask when going outside as the dust is so fine, that you cannot see it falling unless you put out a flat surface to collect it, and then realise how fast it is building up.