Ship carrying boats listing and abandoned in the Norwegian Sea

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Does anyone have a tow rope? :unsure:

The Dutch cargo transporter ship Eemslift Hendrika is currently adrift off Norway after developing a heavy list amid rough seas last night.

All 12 crewmembers were safely evacuated by helicopter, as this footage released by the Norwegian Rescue Coordination Centre shows, leaving the boat’s precious cargo at the mercy of the North Sea.

The boats left on board the Eemslift Hendrika include two workboats, a sailing yacht and a sportscruiser-style motorboat, which appears to be an early Sunseeker Predator 68 (estimated value in excess of £300,000).

The situation looks perilous, with Norwegian Coastal Administration project manager Hans Petter Mortensholm telling local broadcaster NRK: “There is a risk that the vessel may capsize and sink. The vessel has [350 tonnes of] heavy oil on board and [50 tonnes of] diesel.”

Concerto

Visit site
Since proper salvage tugs no longer exist outside China and Japan, a salvor will probably charter an anchor handling tug and put their people and equipment aboard her.
The Princess tug is the nearest and now 56 miles away. Perhaps negotiations are still on going as her speed has reduced to 3 knots and heading nearly due north or taking the salvage team onboard from a helicopter.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Just wondering what the escape format would have been prior to the invention of
helicopters.

Perhaps a lifeboat firing a line if desperate . Then pick your swell moment and slide down coat hanger style. Trying to launch a lifeboat would be a challenge.

Question 1. Would you have done any of the above ?

Question 2. Would you access one of the powerboats and wait for a sinking ?

Question 3. None of the above I would ............................................

dom

Visit site
They had a perfectly good free fall lifeboat available - you can see it in the video clips.

Agreed, several of them. I quite fancy that AQS workboat job, although the sailing yacht might be more familiar.

Something for everyone!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Youtube channel Redningsselkapet (their lifeboats) has some great footage of the hi-ine rescue from the helo.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I always enjoy a friend’s description of a free fall drop. Once everyone is seated (facing aft, head against back rest, seat straps tight, arms crossed and holding straps) the coxswain uses a hand pump to pressurise the hydraulic release. As he does so there is always complete silence in the boat... my friend says “You could hear a pin drop as the release clicks open - except of course the pin would not be dropping, relative to the boat!”

Huge fun! To settle an argument with the then Fleet Manager of P&O Bulk, who said he wouldn’t get into one, I took my then six year old son for a drop - he enjoyed it too!