Shingle Street yesterday

johnalison

Visit site
I have never previously walked ashore at Shingle Street, and it's many years since I have entered the Ore. I must say that it is splendidly bleak, and not devoid of interest for the wildlife group I was with. The wind made things difficult but there seemed to be wheatears everywhere, though it often takes a trained eye to spot them.

As I said, it was exceptionally windy, and hard to stand up at times on the shore.
P1100451 copy.jpg

The Ore entrance didn't look very inviting, even with an offshore wind.
P1100456 copy.jpg

It looks as if it may be unwise to go too close to the green buoy.
P1100474 copy.jpg

Dan Tribe

Visit site
It's a lovely river but it doesn't look very inviting in your pictures, I'll wait for better weather and more tide.
On one of my first trips there, we tried to leave against the flood with a Stuart Turner engine. The dog walkers kept overtaking us!

johnalison

Visit site
Another curiosity is the Shell Line, which I must admit I had not heard of. Apparently it was put there by a couple of ladies, one English and the other Dutch who had been childhood friends. When they both learned that they were being treated for breast cancer they decided to lay down the line to celebrate the end of their treatment (I think). It has achieved cult status and now other people come and add to the line or repair it with more whelk shells. According to Wiki, both women are still well.
P1100450 copy.jpg