Shelf life of 2 pack paint?

Kelpie

Visit site
Earlier this year I built a tender and painted it with SML Lustre. I got the paint mixed to the same shade as was used when the yacht was Awlgripped, so that I could use the same tin for touch ups on both boats.
Annoyingly, I didn't buy very much- just enough to finish the dinghy. So I'll need to get some more, but I'm wondering how well it will keep, especially after I've opened it?

And on a related note, I guess there's no way I could either post it internationally or take it on a plane??

penberth3

Visit site
......Annoyingly, I didn't buy very much- just enough to finish the dinghy. So I'll need to get some more, but I'm wondering how well it will keep, especially after I've opened it?.......

Manufacturer's Data Sheet is the obvious place to look.

Kelpie

Visit site
Good point. "2 years or longer" when unopened.
Wondering what the chances are of keeping an opened tin viable.

Any thoughts on my other question, re getting the stuff delivered internationally?

geem

Visit site
If you are heading for the Caribbean, the full range of Awlgrip colours are kept in stock in the chandler's in Sint Maarten

doug748

Visit site
Earlier this year I built a tender and painted it with SML Lustre. I got the paint mixed to the same shade as was used when the yacht was Awlgripped, so that I could use the same tin for touch ups on both boats.
Annoyingly, I didn't buy very much- just enough to finish the dinghy. So I'll need to get some more, but I'm wondering how well it will keep, especially after I've opened it?

And on a related note, I guess there's no way I could either post it internationally or take it on a plane??

I have some touch up Awlgrip which is 14 years old and still very good, paint and hardener.

I keep it in small tins/jars sealed with tape, in multiple wraps of polythene. For good measure I also store it in the freezer, much to the disgust of the Rear Admiral who regularly asks "do you still need this stuff?"

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
To answer your second question, slim to zero chance of sending internationally unless you fancy the same hazardous handling charges that would apply to a large consignment. Plus customs clearance costs etc.

Kelpie

Visit site
If you are heading for the Caribbean, the full range of Awlgrip colours are kept in stock in the chandler's in Sint Maarten
We do plan to cross the pond eventually, but for the next 12 months will be staying in Europe (family reasons). Got a trip to the UK coming up so wondering about picking up some more paint from SML.

If I went with genuine Awlgrip, I'm guessing the minimum size/cost of a tin would be higher, judging by what I've seen on chandlers. But I should investigate that.

Pasarell

Visit site
Unopened and kept at between 5 and 15C the base will last almost indefinitely if it's polyurethane (which it probably is). The curing agent will be your problem if opened. Since the CA usually comes in a small tin one tip to make it last longer is to open by putting a small hole in the bottom and dripping the amount you need our through the hole. Once you have enough seal the hole and store the right way up - hole at the bottom. This means air only really contacts the top surface causing it to harden but leave the rest OK for future use.

Kelpie

Visit site
Unopened and kept at between 5 and 15C the base will last almost indefinitely if it's polyurethane (which it probably is). The curing agent will be your problem if opened. Since the CA usually comes in a small tin one tip to make it last longer is to open by putting a small hole in the bottom and dripping the amount you need our through the hole. Once you have enough seal the hole and store the right way up - hole at the bottom. This means air only really contacts the top surface causing it to harden but leave the rest OK for future use.
Thanks. I'm not too worried if I have to buy more of the 'B' part, it's the colour matched 'A' tin that's hard to get hold of in the right colour.