Sextant Maintenance

Talbot

Visit site
I have an old sextant and am curious what you people use for the painted part of the sextant to keep it maintained (e.g. polish etc) Quite happy about the working parts, just the paintwork, as I suspect that the one I have got hold off may have been put away wit salt on it the last time it was used (a long while ago)
Sextant is a 1944 Husun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Use a damp cloth to rinse any salt off, then dry it, equally carefully.

That should be about it.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

robert_gainer

Visit site
I have a Freiberger, Cassens & Plath and a Heath Hezzanith sextant.

The C&P I wash in running water whenever I get the chance. It is a very robust instrument and I do not have any problem with it.

The Freiberger has a bad habit of getting a sticky index arm because the enclosed micrometer drum is had to keep free of salt and corrosion. You have to disassemble it to clean it. Only disassemble the back of the enclosed drum. I also wash it in fresh water when I can.

The Hezzanith has a crinkle paint finish so you cannot clean it with anything that will not rinse off in water. If you wax or put polish on it you will live a film that attracts dirt. I would just wash it. But be careful of the index lighting on that one. It is old and prone to failure. Dry it carefully after you wash it.

I do not oil the underside of the arc or micrometer worm gear. I think that it attracts dirt that acts like sandpaper and wears the surface of the machined parts. I do not move the parts fast enough or far enough to need the lubrication. That is I must add contrary to the makers instructions. I have been doing this over 30 years and my sextants are just fine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Better answer than mine

I have Plath, and have had it so long I forgot others differed!

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?