Setting out to sea - the river Exe

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Is it really smart to have the mainsail up there? Wouldn't it take off into the wall if the nose was pushed off?
------
Provided boat has weather helm, mainsail up then pushed broadside would cause boat to run then luff up into the waves. Also could just possibly get you out of trouble if engine faltered* as you could maybe turn in that medium wide channel. Coming out of a straight channel as seen I would be tend to have main sail up as a steadier, my stomach might be tense but not as much as running into it from the sea when a broach is more likely (with gennie up maybe, not main). *In either situation a reliable and powerful engine is a must not a nice to have IMHO

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Yes I can remember watching you go out ... didn’t you have problem with cutlass bearing in Ilfracombe?Anyway I was aboard Coral B may even have taken the photos?..yes we got over to Lundy ......went to Marisco as well for local lamb and beer.Hope Sophie B still good ..
Hi Whiterose, Greetings. Yes we had cutlass bearing issue but Bridge Engineering sorted it. Just sold Sophie B to novice owner from Wales last October - he set off in F5 rising F6 from Milford and were a bit uneasy and retreated but later he said that in view of how well she handled they could simply have taken breath in a sheltered bay and continued on journey to N Wales. He and his brother will have learned a lot about seas, forecasting and boat handling and he sounded well pleased.

Now have long keel LM27 named Camrose instead.

Adios

Visit site
Provided boat has weather helm, mainsail up then pushed broadside would cause boat to run then luff up into the waves. Also could just possibly get you out of trouble if engine faltered*
I just watched it again. I don't think there's enough room. They're hardly a boats length from the wall on the starboard side anyway. If it went that way and the sail filled they'd be fighting that as well. A sloops mainsail isn't far enough aft for a weather cocking effect without a good amount of forward motion happening. Maybe this is one of those times having a ketch or yawl is worth it, just the mizen up. I don't think I would have a main up anyway. But then I doubt I'd go out unless I was heading somewhere else as like you say getting back in would be too interesting.

That guy on the second boat really looked out of his depth though. I wish it showed what he decided to do in the end

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I just watched it again. I don't think there's enough room. They're hardly a boats length from the wall on the starboard side anyway. If it went that way and the sail filled they'd be fighting that as well. A sloops mainsail isn't far enough aft for a weather cocking effect without a good amount of forward motion happening. Maybe this is one of those times having a ketch or yawl is worth it, just the mizen up. I don't think I would have a main up anyway. But then I doubt I'd go out unless I was heading somewhere else as like you say getting back in would be too interesting.

That guy on the second boat really looked out of his depth though. I wish it showed what he decided to do in the end
Perhaps I sailed a ketch too much, and got used to steadiness. So as you say maybe the time to build up steering speed on sloop is indeed too long.
I find it hard to judge space from videos

I quite agree the second boater seemed out of his depth