Service options

DrumBeat

Visit site
Who do you all use for your annual servicing and repairs guys?
what’s the best options / cheapest options?pros and cons etc.
It’s Difficult to get a lift out and hard stand at portishead because of the limited space. Have to book way in advance.
Wondering if it might be better to pop over to penarth or round to Bristol harbour.
Probably be moving her over to penarth for next years mooring anyway so it’ll be good to have an idea of what the options are there to weigh up.

38mess

Visit site
Who do you all use for your annual servicing and repairs guys?
what’s the best options / cheapest options?pros and cons etc.
It’s Difficult to get a lift out and hard stand at portishead because of the limited space. Have to book way in advance.
Wondering if it might be better to pop over to penarth or round to Bristol harbour.
Probably be moving her over to penarth for next years mooring anyway so it’ll be good to have an idea of what the options are there to weigh up.
Team marine in penarth marina has a good reputation, as do the guys in Cardiff marina. Give them a bell

Sean Carter

Visit site
Cardiff Yacht Club is far cheaper for moorings and lift out than Penarth Marina or Cardiff marina I am a member of CYC and do all my own maintenance but there are a lot of local businesses that come to you. Secure and far cheaper. Cardiff Yacht Club

Birdseye

Visit site
In Penarth there are two marinas and two clubs. I have never used the Penarth marina for lift out but I have used Cardiff Marine who were efficient but expensive IMO. Of the two clubs there is the upmarket one Cardiff Bay Yacht Club and the basic one Cardiff Yacht Club the latter being cheaper and without the same level of professional yard staff. Both are friendly .
Best thing is to wander down some day and see which option best suits you. One thing is for sure - the lock system is way better than Portishead

38mess

Visit site
In Penarth there are two marinas and two clubs. I have never used the Penarth marina for lift out but I have used Cardiff Marine who were efficient but expensive IMO. Of the two clubs there is the upmarket one Cardiff Bay Yacht Club and the basic one Cardiff Yacht Club the latter being cheaper and without the same level of professional yard staff. Both are friendly .
Best thing is to wander down some day and see which option best suits you. One thing is for sure - the lock system is way better than Portishead
Only one marina in penarth, just been taken over by Boatfolk. The other marina is Cardiff marina on the Cardiff side of the river Ely. I was a member of Cardiff yacht club for 20 year's until they moved over to the new site and I moved West. It's run by volunteers and a good bunch they are. If I need work and a lift out I always use Cardiff marina, they are very good.

DrumBeat

Visit site
Thanks guys I will have to have a look into Cardiff marina I think. I’ve noticed there’s a floating lift out service a little way down the ely. I assume This would be a good cheap alternative to a sling lift out and wash down?

Birdseye

Visit site
CBYC can take bigger boats. Lift out is sensibly priced but staying out for any length of time gets expensive. Have a look at the website. But I guess that both CBYC and CYC would want you to be a member. CBYC marina is run almost like a commercial marina with fuel berths etc whereas CYC is more like a good old fashioned DIY type club. Both penarth marina and cardiff marine are commerical operations. I havent used Penarth but I have used Cardiff for strip off and copper coat and was happy with the service.