Serious earthquake in the Aegean

Irish Rover

Visit site
We had a serious earthquake here today in the sea between Samos and Turkey. The US observatory has it at 7.00 and the Turkish observatory initially put it at 6.6 but have now revised to to 6.9. We've had dozens of aftershocks since then the biggest about an hour ago at 5.1 just of the coast here in Kuşadası. Many buildings collapsed in Izmir and the latest death toll is put at 12 with over 400 injured. Searches of collapsed buildings are ongoing. Two teenagers died in Samos when a wall collapsed on them. There was flooding in Izmir, Seferihisar and Samos from small tsunamis.
We were anchored when it happened and it was weird to feel the boat shaking and see the sea shaking all around us. We returned immediately to the marina and arrived at the berth just as a small tsunami raised the water level by around a meter followed by a strong shaking current as it retreated again.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I've seen a video of a whole pontoon with boats still attached floating off in Izmir, it's a private FB video so I can't re post it...right mess.

Hooligan

Visit site
We had a serious earthquake here today in the sea between Samos and Turkey. The US observatory has it at 7.00 and the Turkish observatory initially put it at 6.6 but have now revised to to 6.9. We've had dozens of aftershocks since then the biggest about an hour ago at 5.1 just of the coast here in Kuşadası. Many buildings collapsed in Izmir and the latest death toll is put at 12 with over 400 injured. Searches of collapsed buildings are ongoing. Two teenagers died in Samos when a wall collapsed on them. There was flooding in Izmir, Seferihisar and Samos from small tsunamis.
We were anchored when it happened and it was weird to feel the boat shaking and see the sea shaking all around us. We returned immediately to the marina and arrived at the berth just as a small tsunami raised the water level by around a meter followed by a strong shaking current as it retreated again.
Hope you guys are ok and boat ok as well. I am in Istanbul and it was felt here as well apparently although I didn’t feel anything. I have been in a 7 in LA and it is the worst feeling in the world.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks for all the good wishes. Glad to report we are fine and no damage to any boats in our marina. The tsunami force extended north to Seferihisar (Sığacak) and South to Samos. We're east of the centre so we got little by comparison. Many of the taller buildings here in Kuşadası suffered some damage but only a few had structural damage. None collapsed and there were no serious injuries. unfortunately despite being much further from the centre Izmir fared much worse and I think that will be found to be due to some inferior buildings. the death toll thankfully has been revised downwards to 37 but with searches continuing it will probably rise. Aftershocks are continuing but we haven't had a plus 4 for a few hours now.

Resolution

Visit site
IR
Sympathies from a pretty ravaged Britain. We have been following events on the Earthquake App, which show a staggering number of lesser quakes continuing. Maybe a couple of hundred aftershocks over 24 hours? In the last 15 minutes there was another at over 3, which would normally have been enough to Make local headlines. This is clearly a Major Event.
On a better note, the marina where Resolution is gathering barnacles, Port Iasos Marina, had no quake damage or tsunami. And that is about 60 miles away from the epicentre.
Peter

Irish Rover

Visit site
Update for anyone interested
Death toll from İzmir quake rises to 115 - Turkey News

Around 50 yachts from Teos Marina in Sığacık have arrived in our marina in Kuşadası a number of which are damaged. I gather all the pontoons in Teos marina have been destroyed or seriously damaged. Apparently 22 boats sank and 43 ran aground. Other boats have gone to the 2 marinas in Çeşme and some to Izmir.

A total of 2,846 aftershocks – 46 of them with a magnitude higher than 4 - have been recorded since the big one and they're continuing even today. I haven't actually felt a tremor since Friday or Saturday as most are now less than 3 - there were 2 recorded at 3.5 earlier today but I didn't feel anything as I spent most of the day on the boat.

The good news the weather is still really nice - 24C today - and the sea is still quite warm around 21/22C. The bad news my insurance is up in 2 weeks time and I'm expecting a hike after the tsunami.

Vagabondi

Visit site
Hi Totally off topic, Im trying to send you a message Irish Rover, But Im being told Im not allowed to preform this action. There is a question I need to ask about a boat for sale in Turkey, that only someone in Turkey can answer. Could you message me possibly? Thank you