selling a boat

rgsmg53

Visit site
Wow, a $60,000 question!

At the risk of sharing an opinion from the 'other side of the Channel' (I'm based in Portishead), I used to favour Boatshed but following the death of John Champion the excellent franchisee of the Portishead branch it was taken over by the Cardiff franchisee who did not have a good customer service reputation. A quick look at the Boatshed website today suggests that Cardiff no longer exists and the nearest now is Bristol. If I've got this wrong then I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. I always thought that Boatshed's commission was a tad high but they did seem to sell boats quickly - or at least John Champion did.

The only other broker I've used to sell was Tingdene when they were at Portishead (now it's the marina's owners there). They had an excellent young broker who offered a very reasonable deal including hosting sea-trials. They very nearly sold one of my boats twice!

Further afield, one to avoid is Burton Waters. Yacht brokers in my opinion have a slender grasp of the truth at the best of times but Burton Waters out and out lied throughout an aborted sale and p/ex.

I've also spoken to Why Boats on the south coast as I've been told by a couple of surveyors that the Bristol Channel is not a good place to sell sea-going boats. Why Boats encourage a seller to move their boat to the south coast and then offer some sort of storage 'til sold deal - at least they did pre-pandemic. I didn't like the thought of paying to move my boat to the south coast and then having to travel to use it whilst it was for sale.

Sneds

Visit site
Channel Yacht Sales in Bristol, or try the Marine Group in Cardiff, nice people to deal with.
Don’t know what they’re like but there is a broker based in Penarth marina, by the cafe

Allan

Visit site
I fell out with the Cardiff boatshed guy twice. Once when I towed him in though the Cardiff barrage and got no thanks at all and once when he put my crew in danger after a Holm's race and laughed about it! His reputation in Cardiff bay was about as low as I can imagine any company could be. If it's changed in the intervening years I apologise but I speak from my experience. I've sold two boats based in Cardiff bay, I placed them both on Apolloduck and boats and outboards for free. Both sold though Apolloduck. The last one sold, in December 2017, a month they say, boats never sell. Not using a broker means both you and the buyer can get a better deal.
Allan

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
my 30 year old 35 foot boat is based in Penarth Marina
What is best broker to use to sell it?
I've just bought a 40 year old boat through Cardiff marine Group and Andy Coles, and found him easy to deal with. The boat was listed last year by BJ marine at Penarth and I found them useless when I first tried to buy the boat. I'm glad the vendor moved across to Cardiff Marina.