Seaworthy or not Seaworthy

peterjaw

Visit site
in general boats with the best sea keeping and dynamic stability will rock more at anchor (form stability). That is to say that relativelymnarrow deeper Vee boats will rock more easily than a wide shallow Vee vessel.

OK, you have answered my question.

Dynamic stability (moving) vs. Static stability (at anchor). They just don't exist simultaneously, right?

Visit site

Dynamic stability (moving) vs. Static stability (at anchor). They just don't exist simultaneously, right?
Right. So that is one of the compromises. you wouldn’t want the absolute best hull to go 50mph into a head sea unless that was primarily what you wanted the use the boat for. Too many other compromises. On the other hand a rear engined IPS machine with a good height full beam master and a fly bridge and a generous VIP cabin in the bow runs the risk of being too top heavy, not fine enough in the bow and with a poor fore to aft cog meaning it planes like its trying to climb out of the sea.

Good design helps. For example the designer of the MJM Porto featured in his video claims the fore to aft balance is the same between the IPS and outboard versions of the hull as the distance further back is offset by the lower engine mass

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Midnight Express is not really one of the best CC. Sure they made the 60 Pied-A-Mer and there lines rock.
They sell 43 and 39 models like hot cakes too.

I would take SeaVee, Yellowfin, and SeaHunter before an ME anyday.

Portofino

Visit site

They can do .
Not talking 50 knot cigarette boats a la Don Aronow , but if you keep more or less the V deadrise and crucially add beam .
Its is possible if you keep the weight down and central .
So how do they do it ?
So for the Magnums , Otam, Ray Hunts , early Baia , sone Pershings and Amarti boats they have hardly any super structure.
Just “ opens “ .Engines and machinery in the centre to balance the centre of lift + gravity properly so they run flat and the bow with the sharp end stays cutting through.
At rest they have wide chine flats at the rear and wider lifting strakes running back further .So as the v deepens the dead rise increases to 22 , 23 , 24 ( Magnum ) the chine flat + strake area increases .Additionally they use a lifting pad at the very stern area , it’s a sort of round button between the props to softened landings ( if any ) and add lift where it’s needed at the stern to assist running low angles .

So with your extra wide chine flats , your lifting pad you can add beam for overall stability and still maintain deadrise .

Theses extra flat bits increases roll resistance at rest / anchor .Obviously not as much a flopped stopper but nether the less a significant amount of flat surface perpendicular to the water to resist roll .
Our boat is more stable @ anchor as a result .Rolls a lot less than others .
Other stuff as well like the tanks are not rectangular metal boxes dropped in .The 500 L water is a glassed in job actually in the V under the saloon steps ,You could not get 500 kg any lower or any central !
The 2000 L of so fuel are moulded into the V as well , they are not flat bottomed .Apex of the triangle goes right down low .
The shaft angles are ridiculously low under 7 degrees so the massive ( read heavy ) 13 L lumps sit low .The props almost hang off the stern because they are so far back .

You see at a certain point beam adds stability with deep V .The more beam the greater drag so top speed reduces or Hp needs upping .With upping Hp you add more weight low down .It’s a complimentary set of factors .
Those extra wide chine flats and lifting strakes are needed to lift the extra weight when it’s running and drag reduces .
The downer is the extra fuel consumption .
They also stiffen up the ride meaning it rolls less and pitches less just punches through, like you never notice or have to slow down crossing the wake of another boat .Where as the low deadrise rear engined outdrive sunseeker would fly off wakes and slam so I was always throttling back and shouting “ hang on “ .

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Obviously what the market across the pond wants....unlike an early 90’s garish tub with whining superchargers
Midnight Express is not really one of the best CC. Sure they made the 60 Pied-A-Mer and there lines rock.
They sell 43 and 39 models like hot cakes too.

I would take SeaVee, Yellowfin, and SeaHunter before an ME anyday.

6 outboards and 4 cannon speakers.....you know who they are marketing that too......Yeee Haaa!?

MapisM

Visit site
Midnight Express is not really one of the best CC.
In which way, W?
All I know for sure is that their quad outboards 39' is nothing short of amazing.
I saw up close one of those used by US Customs while overtaking her, at 80+mph (yes, that was fun!).
Ok, we were in a smaller boat, but there was some chop, and we had to stay tight into the bolster seats, grabbing handles and hanging on for dear life.
Otoh, while going just a tiny bit slower in the very same choppy waters, two chaps onboard the ME were standing and taking care of some lines inside the cockpit, as if they were docked.
Saying that I was impressed is an understatement.

Bouba

Visit site
You are right, all boats rock when stopped :cry:, but there are still differences from a boat to another.

I always hear a sentence, "all boats compromise". I would like to know if I can put an
equation between a running boat and a stopped boat.:rolleyes:

Stabilizer is an expensive option, and you know what? everything coming to Taiwan will
double or triple the costso_O when they are in consumers' hands.(n)
There is a stabilizer that is easy to install. They have a Taiwan distributor, but you could import it yourself and install either by yourself or any boat technician. Also you can put them almost anywhere and have either one big one or lots of little ones. The important thing is that it gives you an option if you find your new boat isn’t as stable as advertised (you can add it later)?
NEWS - QUICK GYRO STABILIZER : THE REVOLUTION OF STABILIZERS IS 12V-POWERED

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
In which way, W?
All I know for sure is that their quad outboards 39' is nothing short of amazing.
I saw up close one of those used by US Customs while overtaking her, at 80+mph (yes, that was fun!).
Ok, we were in a smaller boat, but there was some chop, and we had to stay tight into the bolster seats, grabbing handles and hanging on for dear life.
Otoh, while going just a tiny bit slower in the very same choppy waters, two chaps onboard the ME were standing and taking care of some lines inside the cockpit, as if they were docked.
Saying that I was impressed is an understatement.

As speed goes they are pretty fast. But once the waves become a certain size they are not as good as the alternatives I mentioned.
Also I mentioned those three but there are other better options out there.
I actually think they come at the last of the pack for sea keeping, especially when the waves get a certain size.
At the moment they are best sellers due to the lines which a lot like and a very good marketing machine with an easy to remember name.

BruceK

Visit site
As speed goes they are pretty fast. But once the waves become a certain size they are not as good as the alternatives I mentioned.
I actually think they come at the last of the pack for sea keeping, especially when the waves get a certain size.
At the moment they are best sellers due to the lines which a lot like and a very good marketing machine with an easy to remember name.

Colloquially known as glassjaw, submarine and goodnight express. One has to ask why

C08

Visit site
Interestingly my boat insurance lists having low crew numbers for the conditions as a form of being not"seaworthy".

MapisM

Visit site
Mmm... Did you actually try and compare all those boats in rough seas, or are you going by hearsay?
I find it a bit hard to believe that their boats were chosen in the US for law enforcement, which by definition include all weather operations, just based on a nice brand name.

squadron

Visit site
Hi petejaw ,spoke to you a long time I live in Taipei . Couple of things sea-keeper 1 12v with battery no genset needed cost would be a lot less than trading up to a bigger boat . If you do still want to buy new why not choose Taiwan built ? For 500k I'm sure you could get a fantastic boat with all your requirements built right here? Novitec and lots of other manufacturers in Taiwan so no problems with warranty etc . Just a thought don't think European is best .

peterjaw

Visit site
Hi petejaw ,spoke to you a long time I live in Taipei . Couple of things sea-keeper 1 12v with battery no genset needed cost would be a lot less than trading up to a bigger boat . If you do still want to buy new why not choose Taiwan built ? For 500k I'm sure you could get a fantastic boat with all your requirements built right here? Novitec and lots of other manufacturers in Taiwan so no problems with warranty etc . Just a thought don't think European is best .
Thank you very much, Squadron.

Some nice people here sent messages talking about the same idea --- buying from local manufacturers. I have visited some
yacht/boat builders in Taiwan and found their boats are much bigger than I can offer, most of them start from 65 feet.
The other reason is almost all Taiwan boat/yacht do not satisfy my requirements. I want a boat that acts as a angling/entertainment platform on the water, not a luxury living space with expensive sofa. Unfortunately, all Taiwan
yacht/boat are of the luxury interior. Maybe I can contact more manufacturers and get more idea.

Other than sea kindness issue, I did find my boat is too small for 6 ~ 7 people. The document says my boat can
carry 10 persons, but that is for the case when all passengers sit side-by-side. From the experience with other boats, I would
say 35' ~ 40' is good for my usage. European boats provide me choices. They all are not perfect but I can adjust my "wishes".

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions.

squadron

Visit site
ok how about merry fisher 1095 it's outboard engines but you can get service easy and cheap 3 cabins seperate shower and you can add seakeeper and still have change left from 300k

peterjaw

Visit site
ok how about merry fisher 1095 it's outboard engines but you can get service easy and cheap 3 cabins seperate shower and you can add seakeeper and still have change left from 300k
Yes, the Merry Fisher 1095 is on my list, but does not get too much points. My reasons are:

1. Before buying my current boat (Quicksilver 855 WE), I visited the Merry Fisher dealer in Tamshui.
But their quote of Merry Fisher 905 was almost 2.5 times higher than the Quicksilver 855 WE. I know these 2 boats
are equal in price in Europe.

2. I don't want to say "oh, my, this is still too small." when I receive MF1095. Therefore, I prefer to spend a little bit more
to be safer.

By the way, do you do boating in Taiwan?